SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

Also, to show here, a video of the (Q) train in daily life. This line is very long and it's not because of the hour to/from the route, but, the amount of trips done day by day. 

This conductor is awesome! I used to always catch her train in the mornings on the 8:12AM (Q) trip out of Ditmars Blvd 

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fastrack on the QBL has been cancelled for tonight.

I don't know what the exact reason is, but could it have to do with how the QBL has been a complete shit show every single day after FasTrack work ended? Today was a mess earlier. It's almost as if they realize that after whatever work they do, there's always some sort of signal problem the morning after. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

On 3/7/2023 at 11:23 PM, Calvin said:

Also, to show here, a video of the (Q) train in daily life. This line is very long and it's not because of the hour to/from the route, but, the amount of trips done day by day. 

Hold up, 493 stations? Does that include PATH and commuter?

12 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Anyone else start to see people with a box full of candy (and usually with their little kids) walking around trains quite often nowadays? I'm starting to see them on almost every (J) train I board, and sometimes on the (E).

Hmmm funny.... I have seen this once or twice now.

A few Saturdays ago at City Hall as I was changing from the (J) to the (4)(5)(6). Found it interesting but didn't think much more of it....

Edited by Missabassie

24 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Anyone else start to see people with a box full of candy (and usually with their little kids) walking around trains quite often nowadays? I'm starting to see them on almost every (J) train I board, and sometimes on the (E).

Yes, it seems this hustle has exploded in popularity recently. Feels like I see multiple ppl selling candy per subway ride.

37 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Yes, it seems this hustle has exploded in popularity recently. Feels like I see multiple ppl selling candy per subway ride.

This is something that should be investigated. Kind of how before you had a barrage of kids "selling candy for their basketball team", and of course the famous "Coach Smiley" that always roamed the Astoria (N) train.

Completely random thought, but I find it interesting that the R44/R46's have the city and state seals on their interior. It's so subtle but it's such a cool addition that never made it to any other NYC car class. Also makes sense since the city and state are effectively the heads of the system.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

4 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Hold up, 493 stations? Does that include PATH and commuter?

What was found out recently:  472 (the total of the NYC Subway stations in boroughs of Brooklyn, Manhattan, Bronx and Queens) + 21 (Staten Island Railway) = 493. 

The total was built in based on all the 5 boroughs of NYCT and SIR. The Path between New Jersey and New York and commuter rail are separate. 

6 hours ago, Q44 SBS said:

As much as I like riding the R179s, the delay between announcements are annoying. Will the MTA ever fix it or that’s the least of their problems? I see that there’s no announcement delays with the R211.

They should be fixing it as the 179s go through their first SMS. The r211s don't have the gap bc they weren't rushed by Kawasaki.

The (A) line had an interesting run of equipment back then. Before, we have R44s and R46s together at some point. We would see R32s and a 10-car R42 train as the last run back in 2020. Having the R179s to enter (A) service but before that, the (C) was given 8 car trains (R179). Leading to the holidays of 2021, only for Central Park West as the (D) to/from 2 Av and Harlem-145 St as the R32 are back for a portion of the line. Currently, we have the R211 as the future fleet meeting the present. Don't know if the (A) had more of diverse than the (J) when it comes to fleet. 

We could see the R211 on the Brighton line because of the (B) with CBTC on the 6 Av line but, that's a thought. Too early to tell. 

Even if such a ban passed, it would be unenforceable. The system is too big, and there are too many of us. They'd be creating an even bigger problem than they already have now. What they NEED to do is more effectively police trouble areas on the system and identify potential magnet events like today's R211 run and put cops on the actual train.

19 minutes ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Full source?

Also whats one issue gotta do with another?

7 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

Even if such a ban passed, it would be unenforceable. The system is too big, and there are too many of us. They'd be creating an even bigger problem than they already have now. What they NEED to do is more effectively police trouble areas on the system and identify potential magnet events like today's R211 run and put cops on the actual train.

I am told it's fake, all good. I do have to agree with you @Fan Railer that this does create bigger problems, probably an understatement, too. If I'm going to be honest, nothing would've changed for the most part and the photo ban would've been repealed rather quickly anyway.

19 minutes ago, Fan Railer said:

What they NEED to do is more effectively police trouble areas on the system and identify potential magnet events like today's R211 run and put cops on the actual train.

Honestly, that might end up happening for the rest of the thirty day interval test until its official revenue service run.

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

The (A) line had an interesting run of equipment back then. Before, we have R44s and R46s together at some point. We would see R32s and a 10-car R42 train as the last run back in 2020. Having the R179s to enter (A) service but before that, the (C) was given 8 car trains (R179). Leading to the holidays of 2021, only for Central Park West as the (D) to/from 2 Av and Harlem-145 St as the R32 are back for a portion of the line. Currently, we have the R211 as the future fleet meeting the present. Don't know if the (A) had more of diverse than the (J) when it comes to fleet. 

We could see the R211 on the Brighton line because of the (B) with CBTC on the 6 Av line but, that's a thought. Too early to tell. 

During the R160 delivery, I would say the (F) and (N) have had the most diverse equipment assignments, and in the pre-2001 days, the (N) had the most diverse equipment assignments.

during delivery- 

(F) - R40M, R42, R32, R46, R160

(N)/ (W) , R32, R40/R40M, R68/R68A, R160

pre 2001 (N) - R32, R68, R40, R42

One thing that's weird to think about is just how massive Underbelly/South 4th Street is. Like 6 tracks is insane, even if the platforms aren't full length; I think online photos give a false impression of it being a lot smaller than it is because there's nothing to reference it's size. 

For reference, Hoyt Schermerhorn is also 6 tracks and we know how massive that is.

One of my dreams is to one day see Underbelly/South-4th Street irl legally, but that seems very unlikely unless something dramatically changes. Maybe if you paid them a nice sum of money they'd let you, but even then.

I think it would be fun if MTA made it into another branch of the transit museum or smtg.

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

One thing that's weird to think about is just how massive Underbelly/South 4th Street is. Like 6 tracks is insane, even if the platforms aren't full length; I think online photos give a false impression of it being a lot smaller than it is because there's nothing to reference it's size. 

For reference, Hoyt Schermerhorn is also 6 tracks and we know how massive that is.

One of my dreams is to one day see Underbelly/South-4th Street irl legally, but that seems very unlikely unless something dramatically changes. Maybe if you paid them a nice sum of money they'd let you, but even then.

I think it would be fun if MTA made it into another branch of the transit museum or smtg.

Well, South 4 St was meant to have at least 3 different lines from 3 different trunks in Manhattan to run through that station. One from 8 Av which would've used the Worth St provisions that is between Canal St and WTC. One from 6 Av express which originally would've gone through 2 Av station on the (F) instead of through the Chrystie St cut, pretty much why that station is an express station. And one last one from SAS. The IND definitely had ambitions, it's unfortunate that it was never realized.

14 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Well, South 4 St was meant to have at least 3 different lines from 3 different trunks in Manhattan to run through that station. One from 8 Av which would've used the Worth St provisions that is between Canal St and WTC. One from 6 Av express which originally would've gone through 2 Av station on the (F) instead of through the Chrystie St cut, pretty much why that station is an express station. And one last one from SAS. The IND definitely had ambitions, it's unfortunate that it was never realized.

I feel like extending the 6th Avenue line via the existing provisions at 2nd Avenue is something that should be looked into if Williamsburg keeps going insane with it's growth. As part of this plan, the SAS would take over the Chrystie Street Connection allowing 6th Avenue trains over the Manhattan Bridge. This could also offer a subway "express" sort of alternative to the aging and slow Jamacia el.

One thing I think people forget though is the (L) train capacity could be increased to 30+ tph with just better terminal stations; if the (L) ever gets to Lexington Avenue levels of crowded, I suspect the go-to by the MTA will be to add tail tracks and possible reconstruct both terminal stations, plus possibly also reconstruct a bit of the line in the Broadway Junction area.

Also this is a bit of a weird tangent, but how did the 6-track set up work at Atlantic Avenue? Ik one platform (2 tracks) was for the Fulton St El which is now torn down, and one platform is for Canarsie now (L) trains, but what was the other platform for?