SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One question on the (5) announcements: which is the current/most recent announcement: "this is an Eastchester-bound 5 local train" or "this is an Eastchester/Dyre Avenue-bound 5 local train"?
I always heard the former during off-peak hours and the latter during rush hours. Feel free to correct me.

One question on the (5) announcements: which is the current/most recent announcement: "this is an Eastchester-bound 5 local train" or "this is an Eastchester/Dyre Avenue-bound 5 local train"?
I always heard the former during off-peak hours and the latter during rush hours. Feel free to correct me.

Guest lance25

They're both from the same time period when Jessica replaced Melissa on the (5). Originally, you'd only hear "This is an Eastchester-Dyre Av-bound (5) local train" during the AM rush because trains with that announcements are coming from Brooklyn. During the PM rush, said trains were usually running express in the Bronx. However, since the (5) runs to and from Brooklyn during the midday hours as well as rush hours now, you'll hear the above announcement on weekdays as well as the rush hours. One can only hear "This is an Eastchester-bound (5) local train" on during the weekends since those trains are coming from Bowling Green. No, I don't know why the (5)s were programmed like that. I'm just pointing out my observations.

Guest lance25

They're both from the same time period when Jessica replaced Melissa on the (5). Originally, you'd only hear "This is an Eastchester-Dyre Av-bound (5) local train" during the AM rush because trains with that announcements are coming from Brooklyn. During the PM rush, said trains were usually running express in the Bronx. However, since the (5) runs to and from Brooklyn during the midday hours as well as rush hours now, you'll hear the above announcement on weekdays as well as the rush hours. One can only hear "This is an Eastchester-bound (5) local train" on during the weekends since those trains are coming from Bowling Green. No, I don't know why the (5)s were programmed like that. I'm just pointing out my observations.

As I was heading to Golden Krust in the Metro Tech area (got me some oxtail with rice and peas), I was lucky enough to catch a (C) t/o with the cab door open. He ran the timers between Rockaway and Utica n/b - blowing into Ralph at 40 mph. Thou one thing that really got to me was when he came into Nostrand. Coming in at around 35 mph, he didn't brake until half the train was in the station. Now most operators brake early or at most two cars into Nostrand. Dude made it look easy.

Edited by Jamaica Line
He came into Ralph at 40 mph, not Rockaway. My mistake.

Yes, those timers do clear on the post, but few people do as not every R32 brakes well enough to stop at the 8 on what is the fastest local stop on the line. Nostrand on the local is not fast at all (not like other stations on the line), it just has the reputation as being fast, but that's really just the s/b express. The other four plats are guilty by association lol.

Yes, those timers do clear on the post, but few people do as not every R32 brakes well enough to stop at the 8 on what is the fastest local stop on the line. Nostrand on the local is not fast at all (not like other stations on the line), it just has the reputation as being fast, but that's really just the s/b express. The other four plats are guilty by association lol.

You got a point. From all the years of riding the (C), that was my second encounter with a t/o who ran those timers.

One thing I noticed as he was braking was that he'd let go of the power handle for a few secs and applied pressure to it again. What does that do? Apply more braking power? Hope I'm not bugging you with all these questions... ;)

Edited by Jamaica Line

You got a point. From all the years of riding the (C), that was my second encounter with a t/o who ran those timers.

One thing I noticed as he was braking was that he'd let go of the power handle for a few secs and applied pressure to it again. What does that do? Apply more braking power? Hope I'm not bugging you with all these questions... :P

He did something actually illegal, since the train was in full service brake (~80lbs), he can let go of the master controller (what you call power handle) to catch a nip of hand rest. As the train responded to the brake request (for a good braking R32, don't need full service to stop even on the post in that station), he had to hold down the deadman again to "bleed" (reduce braking power) the brake off, if he didn't the train would go into emergency (chow). It is illegal for T/Os to release the deadman while the train is in motion, and when caught doing so, is taken OoS immediately. It is thought of giving up control of the train. Of course many of us do it anyway (keeping our hand hear the deadman even though we let go of it already so it looks like we're still holding it down), as it is difficult to catch. The more common occurrence is using full service to make a final stop (and a jerk) by taking all the brake and releasing the deadman at once. The result is a jerk of the train (how severe depends on the train).

He did something actually illegal, since the train was in full service brake (~80lbs), he can let go of the master controller (what you call power handle) to catch a nip of hand rest. As the train responded to the brake request (for a good braking R32, don't need full service to stop even on the post in that station), he had to hold down the deadman again to "bleed" (reduce braking power) the brake off, if he didn't the train would go into emergency (chow). It is illegal for T/Os to release the deadman while the train is in motion, and when caught doing so, is taken OoS immediately. It is thought of giving up control of the train. Of course many of us do it anyway (keeping our hand hear the deadman even though we let go of it already so it looks like we're still holding it down), as it is difficult to catch. The more common occurrence is using full service to make a final stop (and a jerk) by taking all the brake and releasing the deadman at once. The result is a jerk of the train (how severe depends on the train).

Thanks. Even thou he'd let go of the master controller, he still did have his hand lightly over it. Guess you never know where a TSS might be. It doesn't bother me whenever T/Os do so, except when I'm standing during rush hour, clinging on to the gap in the A/C shaft. I don't want to hear some loud mouth mouthing me off if I were to accidentally bump into her. :eek:

I love the clashes between people with "sources" and actual TA employees (namely train operators and conductors), especially when the matter of the R44s comes up.

I confused Ditmas and Ditmars a lot when my interest in the subway was small, and then I learned that not only were they two different streets, Avenue and Boulevard respectively, they serve two different lines...

Someone told me a few are in working condition and are ready if needed, funny if it was true.

I love the clashes between people with "sources" and actual TA employees (namely train operators and conductors), especially when the matter of the R44s comes up.

It took three diesels to haul the four car set outa there, likely destination according to ATD was 207 yard. I was on them in school car, they charge up and move, but evidently not safe enough to transfer them under their own power.

A trip around the subway:

Boarded a (D) train from 167 Street to Broadway-Lafayette

Took a downtown (6) to Canal St.

Boarded an uptown (J) to Jamaica Center

Transfered to the (E) and took it to Herald Square-34 Street.

Took an (F) to Jay St-Metrotech

Took an uptown (R) to Whitehall Street

Transfering to the (2) at South Ferry and took it to Dyre Ave.

Went back down on the (2) to East 180 Street

Took an uptown (5) to 241 Street

Stood on the same (5) and took it to Flatbush Ave.

Went back on the same (5) and took it to Franklin Ave

Transfered to a New Lots Ave bound (4).

Stood on the same (4) and took it to Franklin Ave.

Transfered to the Franklin Avenue (S) to Prospect Park.

At PP, took the (Q) to Stillwell Avenue.

From Stillwell, took the (D) back home to 167 Street.

Long day in the subway, just wanted to hit the rails.

A trip around the subway:

Boarded a (D) train from 167 Street to Broadway-Lafayette

Took a downtown (6) to Canal St.

Boarded an uptown (J) to Jamaica Center

Transfered to the (E) and took it to Herald Square-34 Street.

Took an (F) to Jay St-Metrotech

Took an uptown (R) to Whitehall Street

Transfering to the (2) at South Ferry and took it to Dyre Ave.

Went back down on the (2) to East 180 Street

Took an uptown (5) to 241 Street

Stood on the same (5) and took it to Flatbush Ave.

Went back on the same (5) and took it to Franklin Ave

Transfered to a New Lots Ave bound (4).

Stood on the same (4) and took it to Franklin Ave.

Transfered to the Franklin Avenue (S) to Prospect Park.

At PP, took the (Q) to Stillwell Avenue.

From Stillwell, took the (D) back home to 167 Street.

Long day in the subway, just wanted to hit the rails.

How long did that all take?

10 hours, very long trip. Of course I did not include the time off I took at Jay Street to eat and to use the john. I went from 9am-7pm with time to kill. I was bored and I didn't want to stay home all day. I would have taken pictures if I had a camera. Now everyone is going to think I'm a foamer lol.

10 hours, very long trip. Of course I did not include the time off I took at Jay Street to eat and to use the john. I went from 9am-7pm with time to kill. I was bored and I didn't want to stay home all day. I would have taken pictures if I had a camera. Now everyone is going to think I'm a foamer lol.

I definitely couldn't stay in the subway that long. Especially knowing that I'm inhaling all that steel dust. The most time I've ever spent in the subway had to be no more than three hours. When I try to kill time via the subway, I usually get off at random stops in Manhattan to check out different stores and such. The other day I got off at W. 4th St. Just around the corner was a pizza shop selling one slice for a dollar. Lets just say I'll definitely take a second visit to that spot. :cool:

I wonder why the MTA has southbound (;) and (Q) trains that cross the Manhattan Bridge at the same time? Wouldn't it make sense for a (Q) and (D) and (N) and (B) trains to cross the bridge at the same time? So you know, they could go though the junction with little to no delays.

Bugs me when you take the (B) train and have to wait for the (Q) to cross right in front of you, I'm sure the West End/Sea Beach peeps are annoyed by this as well. :mad:

The same ish with the (2)/(5) lines at Franklin Ave southbound.

... Looking at my post in preview makes my post look like a bag of skittles with the subway route bullets lol.

I wonder why the MTA has southbound (;) and (Q) trains that cross the Manhattan Bridge at the same time? Wouldn't it make sense for a (Q) and (D) and (N) and (B) trains to cross the bridge at the same time? So you know, they could go though the junction with little to no delays.

Bugs me when you take the (B) train and have to wait for the (Q) to cross right in front of you, I'm sure the West End/Sea Beach peeps are annoyed by this as well. :mad:

The same ish with the (2)/(5) lines at Franklin Ave southbound.

... Looking at my post in preview makes my post look like a bag of skittles with the subway route bullets lol.

One or the other train could be late or early...

Speaking of late trains...

Does anyone of any incidents on the (A) this morning, around maybe 6:30-ish? At Fulton St, I passed up the (C) to wait for the (A), which was a bad choice, seeing as how the (A) arrived almost 10 minutes later than it normally does. But when the train did come, it was deerted, a total ghost town. Definitely nothing you'd expect from a late (A) train. So I'm guessing it was a gap train placed into service at Jay St or something. By the time we got to 145th, we were almost 15 minutes late, and the (C) was long gone.