SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Got to visit the old South Ferry station yesterday. It was so weird being in that station again. Last time I stepped foot there was back in 2009 when I was 17. Four years later and I got to relive a brief moment of my childhood.

I have to say that 2013 has been an interesting year for me. I relived a few moments of my childhood: R62As on the (6)/<6>, R62As on the (2) (post 9/11), and now the old South Ferry. What a year so far, and it's not even half over !

Indeed, this is a big year for the MTA Subways Capital Construction Program with all the projects and investments as well as new rolling stock purchases (Not just the R188's how about the new state of the art R156 high tech electric-diesel locomotives, CBTC equipped, rolling in?) that are ongoing. Let's throw in the almost completed construction of the (7) extension and it's infrastructure itself, as well, as the countdown clocks now as reported by our enthusiasts here on duty as of recent, and last but not least the SAS. The MTA Subways subdivision of the public benefits corporation serving the Metro NY area is making serious moves here this year in 2013.

Edited by realizm

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R188's are not supposed to start service until May.

The case with 2141-2145 going back to the (7) and 1746-1750 coming to the (6) seems strange... I'm guessing they are now planning to run that R62A (6) midday since they can turn the train around with no problem at PBP since both sets have full cabs. The thing is, I thought they were training with half cabs since the new 5-car sets that just got linked up on the (7) are not supposed to get full cabs? This could mean they are actually planning to make those cars full-length cabs...

On a side note, The CI R160's are beginning their SMS from what I hear, there are two 4-car sets of R46 running on the (G) as of now to fill in for the loss. This doesn't seem to make sense though, wouldn't it be easier to borrow R68's from concourse like what they did after the hurricane when the (G) was full length? 

Guest MTA Bus

The MTA probably thought that since Jamaica Yard is close to the (G) line, they could just pull a train from Jamaica to use on the (G) without a car shortage.

Guest Lance

From Corona Yard:

- down Flushing towards Manhattan

- cross over to the Astoria/Broadway line at Queensboro Plaza

- down Broadway into Brooklyn either via Manhattan Bridge or Whitehall tunnel

- reverse back at Atlantic Av-Barclays to Manhattan via 6th Avenue north tracks of Bridge

- up 6th Avenue, Central Park West, Concourse to the Bronx

- via Concourse/Mosholu Yards' shared tracks to Jerome Avenue line

To get to any other A-Division yard (excluding Livonia), the train must either backtrack somewhere in Manhattan or loop around at Brooklyn Bridge or South Ferry/Bowling Green.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130406/upper-west-side/man-struck-killed-at-west-72nd-street-subway-cops-say

Man Struck and Killed at West 72nd Street Subway, Cops Say Updated April 6, 2013 11:34am
April 6, 2013 11:34am | By Jess Wisloski, DNAinfo Weekend Editor

image320x240.jpg

A man was struck and killed by a southbound D train on April 6, 2013.

(DNAinfo/Heather Grossman)

UPPER WEST SIDE — A Washington Heights man was struck and killed inside a subway station on Saturday morning, police said.

Police responding to calls of a man hit by a train at the Central Park West and West 72nd Street subway station at 6:46 a.m. found John Williams, 58, had been struck by a southbound D train, police said.

Williams was rushed to St. Luke's-Roosevelt hospital, but declared dead on arrival, police said.

It was unclear immediately if he'd jumped or fallen into the tracks, police said, but an investigation was ongoing.

Also on DNAinfo.com...

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130406/upper-west-side/man-struck-killed-at-west-72nd-street-subway-cops-say#ixzz2PmHMSzfT

Exactly, Quill

Very likely not because the fatal accident happened at 72nd Street. With the GO this weekend, all (D) trains were running local all the way down the length of the CPW with all (C) trains going express.

How many people will die before screen doors are installed?

How many...

If he'd fallen he probably wouldn't be on the express tracks to be hit by a (D) train.

Random thought: I love it when the C/R references himself on the announcement.

Edited by realizm

How many...

How much money will we need to install screen doors?

How much money will we need to install screen doors?

How much...

You got a few spare billion dollars?

Yeah all good, but I think the context that mtattrain is coming from is simply the fact that these suicides id becoming epedemic. My take on it is that mtattrain is speaking from the heart. that was why I was saying that the MTA *is* considering preventive measures through biometric sensor device systems to be installed and to be included in their capitol budgets for the near future, just saying....

Edited by realizm

Yeah all good, but I think the context that mtattrain is coming from is simply the fact that these suicides id becoming epedemic. My take on it is that mtattrain is speaking from the heart. that was why I was saying that the MTA *is* considering preventive measures through biometric sensor device systems to be installed and to be included in their capitol budgets for the near future, just saying....

No they're not. Statistically, number has been level for the past decade. More media attention does not = more incidents.

Meanwhile, drivers are mowing down pedestrians in this city and nobody (NYPD doesn't even bother) gives a shit.

No they're not. Statistically, number has been level for the past decade. More media attention does not = more incidents.

Meanwhile, drivers are mowing down pedestrians in this city and nobody (NYPD doesn't even bother) gives a shit.

Interesting that you brought up the NYPD. According to NYPD statistics for homicides we range at about 388 murders for 2012. Guess what the suicide rates are? On average 475 suicides a year!. Yes you read that correctly. I would imagine that is not media hype as the stats show my friend. The suicide jumps we see in the subways is relative to the overall epidemic where it comes to people taking their own lives. It's on the rise.

Edited by realizm

Interesting that you brought up the NYPD. According to NYPD statistics for homicides we range at about 388 murders for 2012. Guess what the suicide rates are? On average 475 suicides a year!. Yes you read that correctly. I would imagine that is not media hype as the stats show my friend.

How many of these jumps have been suicide jumps? From what I've seen, 99% of them have been some homocidal maniac pushing others onto the tracks.

How many of these jumps have been suicide jumps? From what I've seen, 99% of them have been some homocidal maniac pushing others onto the tracks.

Understood. I am going from Culver's perspective on suicides on the tracks not murders by people being shoved in front of trains.

Ohh boy you have a great sight...

There were 2 "recent" pushers, the rest are either suicides as of jumping in front of the train, or dumb/drunk finding their way on the tracks.

The one that amuses me up the most is the one who went to get 20 bucks at 110th St. few days ago.

Interesting that you brought up the NYPD. According to NYPD statistics for homicides we range at about 388 murders for 2012. Guess what the suicide rates are? On average 475 suicides a year!. Yes you read that correctly. I would imagine that is not media hype as the stats show my friend. The suicide jumps we see in the subways is relative to the overall epidemic where it comes to people taking their own lives. It's on the rise.

Seeing as how the amount of subway deaths is more or less level, no it isn't.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2013/01/7287731/latest-subway-suicide-prompts-council-hearing-its-nothing-new

Regardless of how they got on the tracks, it's an issue that has come to light because the media needed some scary headlines and because the city politicians needed to make it look like they give a shit about the everyday people they see as peasants. Yes it needs to be tackled, but to really fix it would cost billions upon billions. Someone who wants to die won't mind climbing over a 4-5 foot barrier to jump, so simple barriers won't work for suicides.

Seeing as how the amount of subway deaths is more or less level, no it isn't.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/politics/2013/01/7287731/latest-subway-suicide-prompts-council-hearing-its-nothing-new

Regardless of how they got on the tracks, it's an issue that has come to light because the media needed some scary headlines and because the city politicians needed to make it look like they give a shit about the everyday people they see as peasants. Yes it needs to be tackled, but to really fix it would cost billions upon billions. Someone who wants to die won't mind climbing over a 4-5 foot barrier to jump, so simple barriers won't work for suicides.

unless those barriers can't be climbed due to being too high.

unless those barriers can't be climbed due to being too high.

Yes, they would have to be the glass walls with sliding doors that modern systems have. They're expensive and would cost even more money to install in our system than simple railings. Unless somebody has the billions to pay for them, this is all a waste of time that does nothing but give face time to politicians who don't actually care.