SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Not necessary. Just read the damn sign and you'll be fine...

I'll be fine, the sheep and touristas aren't fine. The (K) isn't being used anyways. We're talking about a train line that has two main terminals on its south end that are miles apart, with one of them being serviced by a shuttle overnight.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why will the trains stop there if they are not servicing the station and why will they not service the station?

They'll probably stop there because of capacity at 148, meaning it's waiting for a train to leave the terminal. As to why they won't serve the station, well my guess is that NTT's can't open half the trains doors compared to the R62's.

They'll probably stop there because of capacity at 148, meaning it's waiting for a train to leave the terminal. As to why they won't serve the station, well my guess is that NTT's can't open half the trains doors compared to the R62's.

Again, as per the below post, opening the front half of the NTT trains is possible.

You don't say...

south_ferry_loop6.jpg

I heard someone opened the whole train one day, and that was the end of that...

I'd assume 145 won't be served because of the incident at South Ferry where the whole train opened.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I lived on the (C) for YEARS, and these incidents were once in a blue moon. You guys make it sound like (C) > (A) which is almost NEVER true, unless you're traveling a few stops.

@ttcsubwayfan Oh I didn't know that was the case. I stand corrected.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I lived on the (C) for YEARS, and these incidents were once in a blue moon. You guys make it sound like (C) > (A) which is almost NEVER true, unless you're traveling a few stops.

The thing is when it comes to Manhattan south of 59 St, the Charlie is faster than the Apple. I was in Penn Station 2 weeks ago and I took a Charlie to 59 St to catch a Delta. When I arrived there it took about 7 minutes for an Apple to arrive and by then that Charlie that dropped me off at 59 was probably leaving 110 St. Most likely getting to 145 Street faster than the Apple.

Edited by alejr88

@PATCOman (or any other transit employee who wants to answer)

How frequent is the (A) during middays and weekends? Is its waiting time 8-10 minutes?

Lol. I've been on many (C) runs on Central Park West N/B without ever getting passed by an (A) or a (D).

Middays: about 7-8 minutes

Saturdays: about 7-8 minutes

Sundays: 10 minutes

Strange. I actually thought the (A) runs at 10 minute headways on midday, evening and weekend. It is very irregular which explains why out of the three 8th Avenue routes, the (C) ranks above average on service regularity by the Straphangers Campaign back in 2011/12.

Again, as per the below post, opening the front half of the NTT trains is possible.

I'd assume 145 won't be served because of the incident at South Ferry where the whole train opened.

but what will they do in future GOs in which they are forced to run NTTs to SF outer while the old SF is open? have them just hang out around there with doors closed until they can get into Rector N/B? and why would opening all the doors on a NTT by mistake cause them to ban NTTs but not R62s and R62As (the latter of which will be servicing a 5-car station regularly soon) from servicing 5-car stations? it is not like NTTs have some mysterious effect on C/Rs that motivates them to accidentally the door open button for both of the two zones any more than they would on the other trains.

This is good information for my commute to and from work along the CPW. I'll keep this in mind along with the timetables so I don't miss my train if I need to get to work by mass transit instead of by car.

Because, at the time, the conductors which would be operating the R62As on the (1) would be well familiar with the rule saying that only 5 cars on a train can be open. The (2) / (5), from where the NTT came, has no similar stations, and doesn't serve South Ferry regularly either, so the C/Rs would be unfamiliar with the rule.

As for what they will do in the future... your guess is as good as mine.

I have a question about "G.O"

Is there somewhere that people go to see these that isn't MTA.INFO where they say if a special train is going to be assigned. Like for example a R46 on a D because of something happening somewhere. Please explain thank you.

The average commuter doesn't care about that so no

Guest Lance

Maybe it didn't fit..

Oh it fits. Maybe on the 142s where the font is huge and the actual displays aren't, you might be able to get away with that argument, but on the 160s, there's plenty of room.

Another question

Will the (1)(A)(3)(C) ever get new cars or different cars like R142 on 1/3 & R62 on theThe evntual  2

The pending orders of R179's for the B division (To replace the aging R32's and R42's left in the system) and the R188's/overhauled R162A's for the A division for the (7) (retrofitted NTT's for CBTC operation) resulting in the swap of equipment between the (6) and the (7) will affect rolling stock assignments of cars either directly and indirectly throughout the syetem, We will have to wait and see exactly what the MTA will yet decide to do. So yes it's an eventual possibility the assignment changes will affect the routes listed as Mr. Fresh Pond was alluding to.

Ever since last night when the SubwayTime app went down, the app has been showing duplicate train information most of the time, with something like this:

(5) Eastchester-Dyre Av  0min

(5) Eastchester-Dyre Av  0min

(6) Parkchester                2min

(6) Parkchester                2min

(5) Flatbush Av                1min

(5) Flatbush Av                1min

(4) Crown Hts-Utica Av    3min

(4) Crown Hts-Utica Av    3min