SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

So much track work has been going on over the past few days... Not one day has passed this week where my ride wasn't hit with the 10 mph restriction and blowing of horns on the (J), (A), (Q), and (E) / (F)...

Not gonna state where n'd when but if it wasn't for the fast action of the T/O I had a couple track workers probably would've lost a limb or worst...

How the hell are you not gonna have your flags set, especially knowing the T/O won't see you guys 'till he comes over that hill... Train was hauling ass too...

Another one of my ideas... They should at least list trackwork on the MTA Website under Service status. Its very annoying when you are in a rush and all of a sudden, trackwork appears. It can delay your train up to 20 minutes (I've been 30 minutes late to something because of trackwork) and they don't even tell you.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

@Gordon: I think they like to keep the Manhattan trunks as normal as possible. Take for instance one of the service changes during the post-Sandy recovery. The M ran from Jamaica Center to 34 St via 63rd Street. Now as we know, there's no option in the computers for that route either and for the sake of clarity, it would've been easier to sign the trains as E's since that route does exist. However, since it was running down 6th Ave, it got the M designation.

Sometimes I wish the (MTA) would just listen to a few of my ideas... I usually don't post them here but this one is really getting me frustrated.

Its been bugging my mind ever since they first started the G.O., and thats the (J) to Metropolitan Avenue G.O. Because the R160's don't have a programming for "(J) to Metropolitan Avenue". Everyone is getting confused with the signs saying "Last Stop" or "Broadway Junction". What they should have done is kept is as the (M) , and extended it to Chambers Street. All the R160's, and even SMEE equipment have it on their signs. This would cut down on most of the confusion.

And for the people who say the (M) hasn't been going to Chambers Street, neither has the (J) to Metropolitan Avenue. Not only that, the (M) has been going to Chambers Street for a long time, the (J) has never gone to Metropolitan Avenue as regular service.

Just my thoughts.

this i totally agree with. I don't see the point of the J designation used when you also have the J from jamaica. As for the manhattan trunk lines, if people can handle the E running via 6th av, i don't see why it should be so confusing about seeing the M on a weekend.

Put it this way: when the V was still around, they could've ran that on the weekends but have it run to parsons archer and not have the E at all. That would minimize confusion since the Queens end wasn't such a big deal as is in manhattan. Yes, nitpicking, but it would be better if the mta wasn't set on the whole 'this line doesn't run weekends, then reroute another line' thing.

Edited by Grand Concourse

The reason i ask about the total 68's from CIY is that I was thinking what many people say about the 32's. It makes sense to run those R32's on the B. For that to happen, I believe the (B) and (C) should swap northern terminals. The Charlie to BPB and the Bravo back to 168. It should be a swap of 68's, 68A's, and 32's. I think the C should be 100% R68's so the cars can be maintained at CCY. The Bravo should get all R32's and some 68's or 68A's due to the shortage of those Budd cars. Of course the Delta can have the CIY 68's and 68A's. I would have done a post on it but I need to do some research on TPH during rush hour, midday and evening on all 3 routes. Tell me what do you think? Can the swap work or not? Please explain why it would or why it wouldn't work.

I agree. In the past the A/C would swap R32/38s because they can always cut or add cars to fit each line's need. Now the A is all R46s and the B doesn't really share trains with the D as much. There is no need to have the 8th av and 6th av lines paired up and they could go back to the A-B and D-C. For weekends when the B doesn't run they could send the C up with the A to 168th or run the A local while the C terminates at 145th.

I'm not so sure though...when the (B) doesn't run on weekends, you'll either have to make the (A) local between 168th and 145th or send the (C) to 168th on weekends as said above.

If its the former, then I can't really accept the fact that the (A) would cross over twice in both ways (one after 168th and the other after 145th S/B and reverse N/B). And I think more people would rather have the express take 2 minutes to get between 168th and 145th (as timed) without stopping at Amsterdam and 155th. Not to mention the slowness between 145th and 125th on the express.

So I rather have the current setup today. 

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I had this in my head for quite a while...

R160s that display "SEA BEACH EXP" on the (N) should be "SEA BEACH LCL", since there's no express service on the BMT Sea Beach Line and all (N) trains operate locally between 59th Street-4th Avenue/Sunset Park and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

Oh and since the (2) and (4) make connections at Nevins Street during the night hours due to the aforemention reasons, the signs should tell (3) riders that - Late nights, take (2) to Nevins Street for (4).

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I had this in my head for quite a while...

R160s that display "SEA BEACH EXP" on the (N) should be "SEA BEACH LCL", since there's no express service on the BMT Sea Beach Line and all (N) trains operate locally between 59th Street-4th Avenue/Sunset Park and Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue.

Oh and since the (2) and (4) make connections at Nevins Street during the night hours due to the aforemention reasons, the signs should tell (3) riders that - Late nights, take (2) to Nevins Street for (4).

I've actually seen side signs on the (N) that say 4 AV LCL/EXP instead of Sea Beach. but I haven't seen them in a while... Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

I've actually seen side signs on the  (N) that say 4 AV LCL/EXP instead of Sea Beach. but I haven't seen them in a while...

They still display SEA BEACH EXP actually.

Interesting, I never seen an R160 that can display a 4th AVLCL/EXP either, if say a given (N) is indeed running local on the BMT 4th Ave, say late night, it should display the text SEA BEACH LCL. Otherwise, yes, the service patterns current now will require train crews to set the LEDs as SEA BEACH EXP to indicate that the (N) is heading to Manhattan via 4th Ave Express via Bridge in accordance with traditional BMT tradition as far as I know.

Edited by realizm

Earlier today at the Tremont Av (D) Station, I helped a lady bring her stroller with her baby down all the flights of stairs. It caused me to miss a Manhattan-bound (D) in the process, but it was worth it because she hugged me after I helped her. It's simple deeds like that which make my day.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

R160  (R) was probably a gap train. I'd think the R160  (R) is alot more rare than the R46  (C) ...

Remember when the R46's underwent their SMS a year back and some months or so? All of a sudden one day I started seeing R160's on the (R) ridiculous.for a good couple of months. But then after that episode and the R46 SMS was complete, operations command took the R160's off the (R) and reassigned the revamped R46 cars back on the line. 

That's why I cannot say that the R160's will stay on the (C) for much longer, or the R32's on the (J) as these NTTs undergo their SMS, as at the same time 222 R32 cars simply are not going to cover for BMT Eastern division's three lines that are dependant on the 93 R160 4 car sets (Which was exactly why the order was originally purchased in such a setup along with the 5 car sets). Along with the fact that for obvious reasons, 75 footers will not work on Jamaica and Myrtle Els.

Edited by realizm

Earlier today at the Tremont Av (D) Station, I helped a lady bring her stroller with her baby down all the flights of stairs. It caused me to miss a Manhattan-bound (D) in the process, but it was worth it because she hugged me after I helped her. It's simple deeds like that which make my day.

I've always enjoyed helping people on the trains or on platforms. If I hear a conversation about directions, I wait until I can get a word in or I wait till they pull out their maps and ask them if they need help. As you say, it's very rewarding.

I think it's done that way, since the (N) runs express at 4th Ave. But yeah, 4 Av Exp/Sea Beach would be better.

Details, maybe? What are you even on about?

the LIRR two months ago. The (1) train in the BX early last month. The freight train this past weekend.... Dont you watch the News?

Details, maybe? What are you even on about?

the LIRR two months ago. The (1) train in the BX early last month. The freight train this past weekend.... Dont you watch the News?

Noticed this for the first time today. If it weren't for some fool painting over half of it, this would be a pretty a nice one. This sign should have been replaced twice by now: first by an Akzidenz-Grotesk sign in the 1980s, and then by a Helvetica sign more recently (which is what most of Chambers St has)--somehow it survived.

MLS_4386_zps733c48e1.jpg

The freight train has nothing to do with them.

Nothing is "going on." The M8s that derailed on the Metro-North derailed because this country's railroad regulations are written by idiots, so we have 150,000 lb. "modern" EMUs plowing down the ROWs on the New Haven branch, in case they run into a mile-long freight train along the way. Yes, turns out when you run 8-car trains of carriages that each weigh as much as a TGV power car, rails get snappy. The (1) train I'll give you. Otherwise, "What's going on" makes no sense. Not like this is a recurring problem like the 5000 series problems WMATA had.

Curious as to why the (B) had its southern terminal switched from Coney Island to Brighton Beach and when it went to Coney Island, did it use the upper level at West 8th Street-NY Aquarium like the (Q) does now?

Edited by lupojohn