SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in the Art and Design forum, thought it was relevant to here as well. A lot of you may know this, but if not:

The MTA used one font for decades: Akzidenz-Grotesk BQ Medium. It's relatively distinctive looking, and a bunch of signs still have it today. They switched to Helvetica in 1988, and they haven't gone back since. What's interesting is that many of the trains overhauled around that time were never given Helvetica rollsigns, and that results in some relatively funky lettering that still exists today. Try, for instance, the "Half-J" which appears on a few R42s that still have rollsigns in Akzidenz-Grotesk. Looks a little weird when you're used to Helvetica signage: here's what I'm talking about...

Akzidenz:      

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33320AM_zps0f57dfe

Helvetica:

ScreenShot2013-08-07at33411AM_zpsc6cae97

Probably about a third of the remaining R42s have rollsigns with the Half-J, always cool to catch. 

Wow. I had absolutely no idea about this at all. Excellent observation on your part.

Proof that all things come to you when you don't wait for them. The two F trains I took today were R46s and the R train an R160, while over the past days all but two of my C trains have been R160s and all my J trains R32s/R42s.

I've actually been keeping track in my daily commute and the R seems to be running more 160's in the northern segment than 46's. Yesterday I counted 4 R46's on the (R) and 6 R160's. 

I'm surprised because the car assignment sheet I saw showed the southern half of the R to get all 160's and the northern half to remain all 46's. There's usually 1 or 2 R160's on the R, but not like this. 

I'm guessing that (if anyone is in the know, please let me know if i'm right or wrong) because the line runs its full length but via bridge on weekends, they decided to put enough R160's on the line so that weekends can be 100% NTT. This way, they don't have to worry about making sure the R46's are north and the R160's are south sunday night when the line is split up. (I'm not sure that makes sense, they could also just shuffle the trains back and forth via bridge.)

Sorry if this was posted before, but I enjoyed this video so I had to post it here. Thanks to BryanMercy we can enjoy some old NTT announcements! :)

Transfer to the (V) and (W)? (E) to Lower East Side-2nd Ave? (F) to Jay St-Borough Hall? Yup, those and more are covered in the video!

R62A's 2146-2150 made their way to 207 Street yard. Looks fishy to me.

Likely one of the half sets getting sent back to the (6) if it does then it will get couple with the Broadway R62As so that way 1741-1750 and 1725-1735 don't get mixed around with the broadway R62As like they have been and can just run like normal

Edited by R62AR33

Likely one of the half sets getting sent back to the (6) if it does then it will get couple with the Broadway R62As so that way 1741-1750 and 1725-1735 don't get mixed around with the broadway R62As like they have been and can just run like normal

Hmm. It was sitting there by itself with no other half attached to it. 1741-1745 is coupled with 1746-1750 again while 1721-1725 are coupled with 2191-2195. 1731-1735 are the current spares at Westchester yard.

Hmm. It was sitting there by itself with no other half attached to it. 1741-1745 is coupled with 1746-1750 again while 1721-1725 are coupled with 2191-2195. 1731-1735 are the current spares at Westchester yard.

If it gets sent to westchester then it will get coupled with 1731-1735 to have 3 sets running

Edited by R62AR33

Question: Whenever a midday general order requires (Q) trains to be suspended between Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard and 57th Street-7th Avenue, does the (N) become fairly overcrowded?

Short answer: Yep.

LIC and Astoria are booming neighborhoods so therefore ridership is increasing on the steady.

Some people at my school and in the subway themselves complain about the (C) being slow. Obviously they don't know if a (B) is in front of it on Central Park West, the (E) on 8th Avenue or the (A) at anywhere between south of Spring Street and north of Lafayette Avenue. It happens depending on the schedule. I'm sure PATCOman would agree with me on this since he is one of the (C) crews in the system.