SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random thought of the night....partially because I can't sleep....

As you know, we have a number of Redbird cars that are being set aside for, or are already in preservation. One thing I noticed is that we have at least one pair of each class of cars that later in their lives fell under the category of "Redbird". For example, we have one pair of R26s....a pair of R29s...a pair of R36 mainline cars, etc. (Same can be said for the B-Division equipment - a pair or R40s....a pair of R38s, etc. We have two pairs of R32s for the reason that the ones preserved were the first cars delivered and traveled under their own power to Grand Central Station via today's Metro North line).

Now, when it comes to the R33 mainline cars, we have not one pair, but four, or 8 cars that sport various paint schemes. It made me wonder though: what was it about the R33ML class that made them want to preserve a train of 8 cars? In other words, what thoughts or ideas went towards the decision that, instead of preserving one pair, we needed four pairs? Side note: I do remember vaguely something about them wanting to keep 6-8 R38 cars when they retired (cars in the 4140-range at Concourse Yard), but these were quickly scrapped after.

Not that I'm complaining that we have too many R33MLs, lol...but I am curious to know why we have a significant amount of them. Ideas and discussions welcome.

My theory, simply because the various schemes, or another being the importance of being the fist mainlines to be equipped with HVAC.

102813mta.jpeg

Ahh, The Gothamist never fails.

Edited by Turbo19

The subway stories published in the Gothamist always has me rolling. No sort of actual technical information whatsoever in terms of rolling stock, capital construction project updates blah blah but seriously on target with the straphanger's perspective on NYC Transit to the point it hurts. Not for the weakminded.

The subway stories published in the Gothamist always has me rolling. No sort of actual technical information whatsoever in terms of rolling stock, capital construction project updates blah blah but seriously on target with the straphanger's perspective on NYC Transit to the point it hurts. Not for the weakminded.

The Gothamist, trolling second only to The Daily Currant.

Really though, hardcore classic journalism, before hipsters and new gens took over the NYT and NYDN.

The (E) is running via 63rd St/6 Av this weekend and the MTA is providing a Court Sq-Queens Plz-21 St/Queensbridge shuttle bus.

Wasn't there a time right before the Court Sq station was rehabbed when they decided to stop providing this bus? Is it really necessary during the daytime hours when the (R) is available at Queens Plz and the (7) is available at Court Sq?

Seems odd that it takes much programming to make any find route. If they code trunk lines instead of whole routes the conductor could simply set 8 ave local -> QB local -> Hillside local, E service. Instead of making everything a canned route allow the conductor to do a custom input.

Just something I've been wondering, with all the track connections there are, how many subway lines are physically possible?

Since it's a rainy day and I was pretty bored, I estimated already 50+ possible routes coming out of Coney Island and coming into Coney Island alone so I'm sure the number is at least in the triple digits of possibilities. (Counting short turns and possible terminals as well.)

imo 19 is the lowest you can get. the maximum is a lot because the (F) train had the most detours in the system. 

23/4 should be the lowest you can get just by counting the already existing lines on the map.

the lowest amount is very conflicted. it depend on how you want to count the route because there are some that is overlapping a little like in  Queens. You got the (E) that run along with (F) and split in Jamaica meanwhile you got the (J) running downstair in Jamaica. Even tho the (E) had it own platform at Chambers St, WTC with the (A). Should the (E) be counted even tho other trains is at that stations. I do not want to argue about this. it just something everyone have different opinion on.  

It would even go to what you meant by line. Are we simply counting a route from A to B or are we also getting into what stopping patterns would be. As far as the F goes it can basically reach any terminal in Brooklyn which mean about 12 (4 on fulton, 5 routes to CI, via M to Metro or via J to JC and 95th st) not counting short turns.

Do you guys think there should be a subway car transfer thread like the bus one? It can help during swaps, such as the current R62A/R142A/R188 swap. Scrappings would also be posted when needed. Also when R142As get sent up to Yonkers or when new cars are delivered.

What do you guys think?

Using Tapatalk

Do you guys think there should be a subway car transfer thread like the bus one? It can help during swaps, such as the current R62A/R142A/R188 swap. Scrappings would also be posted when needed. Also when R142As get sent up to Yonkers or when new cars are delivered.

What do you guys think?

Using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good idea coming from a bus guy. However, train moves dont happen as often as bus moves, which is why the thread will not become "official". Which is why it should be better to just make the transfers in the R188 thread since it all related

Just something I've been wondering, with all the track connections there are, how many subway lines are physically possible?

I mean, technically you can get from any station to any station, albeit with wonky moves often required, but still from a very literal perspective the answer is 461*461... 212,521. 

I realize that's not the question you're asking, but it's hard to get a real number, because the question is sort of "How many lines are possible starting and ending at something that mostly resembles a terminal, without doing a reverse move, without going between A and B division" I think the answer would be surprisingly a lot.