SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday around 9:20 PM at Union Tpke, my home station well after E express service east of 71st ends I saw an R160 flying through the station on the Manhattan bound express track with the LCD saying NOT IN SERVICE, the train did not even stop. 

What could the purpose of this be?

Yesterday around 9:20 PM at Union Tpke, my home station well after E express service east of 71st ends I saw an R160 flying through the station on the Manhattan bound express track with the LCD saying NOT IN SERVICE, the train did not even stop. 

something weird was going on:

The QBL was screwy again this evening. My  (F) was held between Queensbridge and 36th st, then we were crawling on the express track. The  (F) I had missed was on the local track at Roosevelt, and we [left first and wound up] rolling alongside an  (E) running local.

Probably a lack of equipment at the terminal causing the train to floor it (don't non-stop trains have to slow at a station?).

I was going to say it must just be headed to jamaica yard, but there are yard leads are EAST of the station so it shouldn't have been there. Perhaps it was a manhattan bound R that was for some reason laid up on the Hillside express tracks. Maybe just an F train deadheading back to coney island yard? 

T/O was having a joy ride. :D

You don't know how hype I was to have a T/O that didn't even bother to slow down when skipping stations during skip stop service. :D

Am I misunderstanding you or are you really applauding the fact that you were riding a train with a jackleg T/O who doesn't know how to operate by the rules? Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

Rules are made to be broken?  :D

You left out the second part of  your statement, LOL. Don't get caught!!!! That's when the Labor Relations people play their favorite game called "choices". It goes something like dismissal, demotion, or 30 days in the street. Not much fun in that one. Seriously though, it angers me when a situation like the one Jamaica Line described happens and the T/O gets caught. While it may have been fun to a railfan I always have no pity for the employee involved. Even the union reps can't really defend them in those cases. SMH.

It was probably a layup going to the northbound express track.  It changes ends at Continental and switches to the northbound express.

Edited by PATCOman

A random observation: yesterday afternoon, I was on a northbound (A) riding from 14th Street to 42nd. It ran on the local tracks, but skipped from 14th to 34th Street. One thing I've been noticing is that the T/O didn't sound the horn as he / she bypassed the station. I recall they do so when performing a battery run or in this case, when the train runs their normal express route on the local. Same thing happened last weekend on a different battery run on a southbound (2) train as we skipped from 135th to 96th Street - the T/O bypassed stations between those stations without sounding the horn. I wonder, is this a new practice now not to sound the horn when bypassing a station?

Also: saw this on the MTA's Flickr page:

12091336323_b2fbb7a9a4_o.jpg

Yeah I don't think the omission of the blowing of the horn during a bypass is due to a change of SOP. I did notice that some T/Os don't give the audible indication when going through a station bypass, but most T/Os do. Why is this? Well Trainmaster5 already gave the answer which is neglect of safety protocols as outlined in the SOP handbook pretty much.

I noticed that Van Buren HS is at the end of the Widened Hillside Ave  area where there were plans to have a subway terminal. Was the original purpose of that plot of land supposed to be for parking or a small rail yard? According to Wikipedia (just did a quick search) 179th street opened in 1950, Van Buren HS opened in 1955

The express tracks should be added to SAS at least when the line is extended to Chatham Sq or the line risks getting the wrap the (G) used to have of being a long useless local.

One wonders how much ridership the (T) will even get, after all isn't the point to relieve some pressure from the Lex. How exactly will that be accomplished by a train that never leaves the borough and doesn't go to the lower east side?

Also will the MTA ever directly connect the SAS to the outer boroughs?

The express tracks should be added to SAS at least when the line is extended to Chatham Sq or the line risks getting the wrap the (G) used to have of being a long useless local.

One wonders how much ridership the (T) will even get, after all isn't the point to relieve some pressure from the Lex. How exactly will that be accomplished by a train that never leaves the borough and doesn't go to the lower east side?

There is nothing wrong with the current two track plan. The (MTA) doesn't even have enough money to build four tracks if they wanted to. Besides most metro systems in the world have only two tracks. In New York City we are spoiled to have a four track system....

The problem I see is that people will think the (T) is local and then still cram on the (4)(5) because they think the express is a faster ride.

Nevertheless, if the full (T) was open by now I would definitely take it over the (4)(5)(6) if I'm staying in Manhattan. And to answer your question, the (T) will connect to the Lower East Side at the Houston St station and the Grand Street Station (B)(D)

If you're eating or ingesting something, I suggest you don't read this unless you want thoughts of it in your head, wait till you have finished.

If you're gonna take the train, don't take it when your stomach doesn't feel well (Is that so hard)....

Some woman puked inside the train on the (A) . Worst thing is that it was the very first car (and worse yet, by the cab door, that TO is gonna have one mess to deal with, literally; I feel bad for the guy). So disgusting (don't even get me started on the potential odor that could leave), everyone was like looking and most left the 1st car, thank god the (A) was running local.

I warned you.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The problem I see is that people will think the (T) is local and then still cram on the (4)(5) because they think the express is a faster ride.

Nevertheless, if the full (T) was open by now I would definitely take it over the (4)(5)(6) if I'm staying in Manhattan. And to answer your question, the (T) will connect to the Lower East Side at the Houston St station and the Grand Street Station (B)(D)

IINM this is a transfer, not a through route similar to how TA wants people to take the (T) to 125th to get to the Bronx. I just think a sensible NYer will walk the extra two blocks and skip the transfer, especially when the (6) runs like water during Rush Hour. The stub for the (Q) will be of minimal use only scavenging the riders that were going to transfer at 59th.

Even if it's not express service the TA should have some three track segments since the full line will be isolated from a yard.