SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Hilarious performance from a train operator this morning... (N) West End express left Coney Island immediately after the (D) West End local. The (D) was already pulling out of 9 Avenue by the time the (N) made it into the station. The (N) only got ahead of the (D) to 36 Street because the (D) was held at the junction for the (N). When a competent train operator is behind the controls, the (N) bypasses the (D) at 20 Avenue.

I was about to say. If it's going express and it left right after the (D) at Coney Island, then it should have caught up at least by Bay Pkwy or 20th ave. 9th Avenue??? My gosh how slow was he/she going on that (N)?

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't ride the train that much, but now I'm starting to since buses are moving slow and getting into traffic a lot. Some crazy express runs that I rode within the past month were

(A) 59st to 125st. Northbound.

(J) Marcy Ave to Broadway Junction. Queens bound.

(N) 59st to 36st. Then 36st to Atlantic Ave. Manhattan bound

(Q) 14st to 34st. Northbound

(2) Times Square to 72st. Northbound.

My favorites were the

(J) from Marcy Ave to Broadway Junction

(N) from 36st to Atlantic Ave

(2) from Times Square to 72st. Very fast. No breaking.

When I was on the (A) at 59st and the conductor said 125st next I said wtff damn. But during that stretch the train kept breaking so it wasn't a full out speed run.

The northbound (E) is pretty fast.

I was about to say. If it's going express and it left right after the (D) at Coney Island, then it should have caught up at least by Bay Pkwy or 20th ave. 9th Avenue??? My gosh how slow was he/she going on that (N)?

The train operator was talking too much to his buddy and driving slowly through the yard in Coney Island. He was also unfamiliar with the curves and slowed down a lot before entering the stations.

I don't ride the train that much, but now I'm starting to since buses are moving slow and getting into traffic a lot. Some crazy express runs that I rode within the past month were

(A) 59st to 125st. Northbound.

(J) Marcy Ave to Broadway Junction. Queens bound.

(N) 59st to 36st. Then 36st to Atlantic Ave. Manhattan bound

(Q) 14st to 34st. Northbound

(2) Times Square to 72st. Northbound.

My favorites were the

(J) from Marcy Ave to Broadway Junction

(N) from 36st to Atlantic Ave

(2) from Times Square to 72st. Very fast. No breaking.

When I was on the (A) at 59st and the conductor said 125st next I said wtff damn. But during that stretch the train kept breaking so it wasn't a full out speed run.

The (2) and (3) can fly down 7th Avenue. The (3) is faster because there is less crowding. Whatever time the (2) saves is wasted because too many people trying to cram onto it

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

extralarge.jpg
City officials said that starting Monday, they will begin removing homeless people from the E train.

QUEENS — The NYPD and the MTA plan to clear homeless men and women out of the subway system after a skyrocketing number of people have sought shelter there from the brutally cold winter, police officials said.

The plan, which is set to begin before dawn on Monday, comes amid an upswing in homeless people in the subway system during the exceptionally cold winter. There were more than 1,800 people living on the subways in 2013, up from 1,000 in 2009, according to the city's annual HopeNYC street survey.

Starting Monday at 3 a.m., teams of transit workers, NYPD officers and emergency medical technicians will go to the E train stations at Jamaica Center and at the World Trade Center, officials said.

Each time a train pulls into one of the two stations, teams will check each car, and take all the homeless people inside to either a shelter or hospitals, officials said.

The trains will then be cleaned for the morning rush hour.

"We are not doing this to be cruel to them," Christie Hofmann, a New York City Transit official, said at a Wednesday night meeting. "[Homelessness] is not going to get solved overnight, but we are working on it together with police officers."

The initiative was partly launched to help improve conditions for other riders, officials said. The operation will begin on the E line, where the problem is most visible, and will later move to other subway lines throughout the city, officials said.

“It’s going to be a really comprehensive effort to alleviate the homeless condition that we have,” said Deputy Inspector Michael Telfer, who oversees Transit District 20, which covers part of Queens.

Read More: Source

The initiative was partly launched to help improve conditions for other riders, officials said. The operation will begin on the E line, where the problem is most visible, and will later move to other subway lines throughout the city, officials said.

“It’s going to be a really comprehensive effort to alleviate the homeless condition that we have,” said Deputy Inspector Michael Telfer, who oversees Transit District 20, which covers part of Queens.

The (E) Line where the problem is most visible, and whiffable 

What is this "Transit District" they speak of?

extralarge.jpgCity officials said that starting Monday, they will begin removing homeless people from the E train.

QUEENS — The NYPD and the MTA plan to clear homeless men and women out of the subway system after a skyrocketing number of people have sought shelter there from the brutally cold winter, police officials said.

The plan, which is set to begin before dawn on Monday, comes amid an upswing in homeless people in the subway system during the exceptionally cold winter. There were more than 1,800 people living on the subways in 2013, up from 1,000 in 2009, according to the city's annual HopeNYC street survey.

Starting Monday at 3 a.m., teams of transit workers, NYPD officers and emergency medical technicians will go to the E train stations at Jamaica Center and at the World Trade Center, officials said.

Each time a train pulls into one of the two stations, teams will check each car, and take all the homeless people inside to either a shelter or hospitals, officials said.

"We are not doing this to be cruel to them," Christie Hofmann, a New York City Transit official, said at a Wednesday night meeting. "[Homelessness] is not going to get solved overnight, but we are working on it together with police officers."

They should be hitting the (C) first

They should be hitting the (C) first

I second that. The (C) should also have a cop on every car to stop the damn panhandlers. I was on it one time with a couple of friends who had never been to New York and some guy claiming to be "Homeless Joe"or something similar hopped on after Hoyt and gave a spiel, even mentioning his YouTube account. What real homeless person has a YouTube account?

extralarge.jpg

City officials said that starting Monday, they will begin removing homeless people from the E train.

It's about time! Just last week I was on my way home from work and the smell from one individual so bad that our C/R was nice enough to keep both of her cab doors open to air out the car. I even thought about opening up the window behind my seat. Anyways, most of the time I would take a peek inside the cars I pass by and each car has at least one to two homeless individuals. And of course, they like to sit by the storm doors.

Edited by darrylbaniaga38

Jesus. They really need to do something about the homeless on the subway. I was on the (R) the other day and everyone began rushing into my car... I asked someone what was going on and all he had to do was point through the window... someone actually took a crap in the car. I don't hate homeless people, I don't want them to just be thrown off into the brutal New York winter, but I would like to be able to ride a train without having to rush out due to the smell or be worried about my health after someone decides to take a dump in a car.

I also saw a homeless guy on the (4) beg someone for a cigarette. Someone gave one to him. The homeless guy then just hung out smoking between cars while we were on the express run on Lexington. Ridiculous. Anyone who has taken the (4)(5) would know that the trains can hit 45mph+ on the express.

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

Jesus. They really need to do something about the homeless on the subway. I was on the (R) the other day and everyone began rushing into my car... I asked someone what was going on and all he had to do was point through the window... someone actually took a crap in the car. I don't hate homeless people, I don't want them to just be thrown off into the brutal New York winter, but I would like to be able to ride a train without having to rush out due to the smell or be worried about my health after someone decides to take a dump in a car.

I also saw a homeless guy on the (4) beg someone for a cigarette. Someone gave one to him. The homeless guy then just hung out smoking between cars while we were on the express run on Lexington. Ridiculous. Anyone who has taken the (4)(5) would know that the trains can hit 45mph+ on the express.

Can't help but laugh :lol:

Sure is a great way to get KILLED!

Well he could have simply lit up in the car.

So I was on a Harlem bound (3) this morning and we were held at Wall Street station for about 15-20 minutes. The conductor told us that there was a train with a brakes malfunction, so everyone in the car I was in figured the train with that problem was in front of us. Surprisingly, the train with the problem was at Nevins Street after the station made an announcement a little after the conductor (and sending some (2) via the (5) ).

Which brings me to my question, what was the reason to hold the (3) I was in at Wall Street when the problem train was at Nevins Street? 

So I was on a Harlem bound (3) this morning and we were held at Wall Street station for about 15-20 minutes. The conductor told us that there was a train with a brakes malfunction, so everyone in the car I was in figured the train with that problem was in front of us. Surprisingly, the train with the problem was at Nevins Street after the station made an announcement a little after the conductor (and sending some (2) via the (5) ).

Which brings me to my question, what was the reason to hold the (3) I was in at Wall Street when the problem train was at Nevins Street? 

If the train with the problem was at Nevins St and there was no train, or one train, behind your train and the problem ,you were held to lessen the gap between trains. Best case scenario would be to hold one at Chambers, one at Wall, and one at Clark St until the problem cleared up. That's old school dispatching 101, BTW. Carry on.