SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't do the work they need to do if they have trains laid up underground in Manhattan.....

note that the reason plan 5 is starting NOW instead of on Monday is to have everything in place over the weekend, since most of that equipment would just be sitting in the yard all weekend otherwise.

I might sound stupid, but what is a flat wheel?? (more in-depth about it)

Exactly what it sounds like. The train hits something slick on the track (often moist leaves, but could be ice or another slick substance/item) that causes it to slide, sometimes locking an axle. When an axle is locked, its wheels are dragged along the track at speed, causing a flat spot to develop as the wheel is ground down.

Exactly what it sounds like. The train hits something slick on the track (often moist leaves, but could be ice or another slick substance/item) that causes it to slide, sometimes locking an axle. When an axle is locked, its wheels are dragged along the track at speed, causing a flat spot to develop as the wheel is ground down.

Yeah that ride was nice and it sounded good! And the best part was.....there was no train traffic!

i have two separate topic questions to ask

1-- When this storm impact the subway, why is that some lines go local one way and normal the other way. IE (N) run local from atlantic ave to 59 street. meanwhile it express toward manhattan. any logical explanation to this?

2--I understand CBTC project is long ass job to complete inside the subway. Just wandering what is all the steps they need to do that causes this project to go so long.( i understand that the installers have short window on weekend)

i have two separate topic questions to ask

1-- When this storm impact the subway, why is that some lines go local one way and normal the other way. IE (N) run local from atlantic ave to 59 street. meanwhile it express toward manhattan. any logical explanation to this?

2--I understand CBTC project is long ass job to complete inside the subway. Just wandering what is all the steps they need to do that causes this project to go so long.( i understand that the installers have short window on weekend)

1. I'd assume this has to do with the location the TA has chosen to store trains during winter storms. So they probably store the trains on the southbound track and not the northbound track.

2. Well, I assume (again) that this is a very complicated process. Essentially they have to "rewire" the whole line. Miles and miles of cable. Plus they're also replacing track and rehabilitating the Steinway tubes, so they probably can't do this any faster.

R62A's on the (6) = Semi-Rare

R46's on the (F) = More R46's on weekdays than R160's. And ALL R160's on weekends.

R62As on the (6) aren't semi rare when by next year that's what you will be mostly seeing on the (6) , you will easily catch one at 3 av 138 between 3 and 4 pm

Edited by R62AR33

R62As on the (6) aren't semi rare when by next year that's what you will be mostly seeing on the (6) , you will easily catch one at 3 av 138 between 3 and 4 pm

Well, no, that's not how time works. They ARE semi-rare for now, and they will not be semi-rare then. I take the (6) every morning and I get an R62A about once every two weeks. That's fairly rare. Standing at 3rd Ave waiting for one to show up is different.

Is that gonna be permanent?

It's planned to be.