SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, VIP said:

Since when and why does the (5) go to Brooklyn on weekends? 

For that: it's b/c of the Clark St closure from Friday night until Monday morning 5AM. Basically, the weekend (5) is a rerouted (2) train to/from Brooklyn. (2)(5) swap roles at that time. 

* I've seen that happen at Atlantic Av, the (2) leaves Atlantic to Wakefield at 11:30 on a Friday night then 10-12 minutes later, next train to 241 St is a (5) train. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Are there any R142As still running on the (6)?

Yes. IIRC 7596-7600/7606-7610. Its running today actually.

Is the (brownM) Shuttle going to be running on the weekend of the 28-29th?

Edited by Train92

On 4/9/2018 at 10:38 PM, R42N said:

It’s extremely stupid to run the (W) at all on the Weekends. No one, and I mean no one, needs the Financial District on the weekend

Are you being serious right now?

and those who do can easily take the (R)

Oh, so there are, like me. Yes, I can and do take the (R).

People's perceptions of FiDi (including BPC) are stuck in the 20th Century. It's practically half residential now.

1 hour ago, Porter said:

People's perceptions of FiDi (including BPC) are stuck in the 20th Century. It's practically half residential now.

lol@ FiDi... Such a lame term... I refuse to use it.  It's Downtown Manhattan.  

20 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Forgot to post this but the (R) line weekend program on the 160s list the out of system transfer to the (4) & (5) at Whitehall, an female makes the second half of the announcement unlike 59th on the Lex which is done by Charlie. It also list the (2) as a transfer at South Ferry. 

All of the weekend route options for the NTTs mention all available transfers between Whitehall St and Bowling Green.

3 hours ago, Porter said:

Aside from tourists going to the 9/11 memorial, not many people in lower Manhattan are using the (R) 

21 hours ago, Calvin said:

How is the rush hour from the Lexington Av line compared to the 7th Avenue line?

Lexington is obviously faster if you need a straight shot between the Bronx and Brooklyn, but on average, the Lexington Line is far worse.  The reason is that both the (4) and (5) are long, unreliable expresses.  Express service on 7 Avenue is a little better because the (3) is a bit more reliable (going to Brooklyn), and the headways are longer which means less service, but less bunching if anything goes wrong.  Also, having CPW is a big help north of 59 St.

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Aside from tourists going to the 9/11 memorial, not many people in lower Manhattan are using the (R) 

The WTC area is probably the only crowded area and one of the few open places in Lower Manhattan.  Many stores aren't open at all on weekends (or are open Saturday but close pretty early).  The area is virtually dead on weekends as far as regular users are concerned.

8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Much like WaHi to reference Washington Heights. The first time I heard that, I was like WTF?!? First the natives start getting priced out, and then the neighborhoods get "renamed" losing any original value, just to appeal to the hipsters.

16 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Much like WaHi to reference Washington Heights. The first time I heard that, I was like WTF?!? First the natives start getting priced out, and then the neighborhoods get "renamed" losing any original value, just to appeal to the hipsters.

They just saw how popular the term "SoHo" became (which has lost its meaning by now, like seriously, there's a place called "SoHo Tiffin Junction" on 8th Street! That's not even near SoHo!), and decided that they could use the concept for their own purposes. Like really, SoHa? Excuse me, that'll be South Harlem.

16 hours ago, Bosco said:

The WTC area is probably the only crowded area and one of the few open places in Lower Manhattan.  Many stores aren't open at all on weekends (or are open Saturday but close pretty early).  The area is virtually dead on weekends as far as regular users are concerned.

Virtually dead? The seamlessly integrated powerhouse trio of the WTC, WFC, and Fulton Center are very much alive on the weekends and every night of the week, which I'm sure having twelve (MTA) lines and two PATH lines encourages, not to mention ferry service. Oh, and then there's the ever-expanding Pace University. Beyond that, there's the very popular Seaport sub-district which always has tourists unless the weather makes it undesirable. Like I said, people's perceptions of the Financial District are stuck in the past.

20 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not my favorite term, but it just rolls off the tongue more smoothly than 'Financial District'. Downtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, etc, are far too general and include more neighborhoods than just the Financial District, itself having several sub-neighborhoods like the Seaport, Wall Street, and WTC. I'm talking specifically about the area bound by the Brooklyn Bridge and Murray Street to the north, BPC to the west, and water to the south and east. However, I often include BPC implicitly when I talk about 'FiDi', a term that helps set it apart from its pre-residential-heyday before Y2K. In fact, having a name like 'FiDi' at all strongly implies a residential direction, as it was taught to me by a prominent Lower Manhattan Real Estate firm. The Financial District is for working—FiDi is for living and playing.

1 hour ago, Porter said:

Virtually dead? The seamlessly integrated powerhouse trio of the WTC, WFC, and Fulton Center are very much alive on the weekends and every night of the week, which I'm sure having twelve (MTA) lines and two PATH lines encourages, not to mention ferry service. Oh, and then there's the ever-expanding Pace University. Beyond that, there's the very popular Seaport sub-district which always has tourists unless the weather makes it undesirable. Like I said, people's perceptions of the Financial District are stuck in the past.

It's not my favorite term, but it just rolls off the tongue more smoothly than 'Financial District'. Downtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan, etc, are far too general and include more neighborhoods than just the Financial District, itself having several sub-neighborhoods like the Seaport, Wall Street, and WTC. I'm talking specifically about the area bound by the Brooklyn Bridge and Murray Street to the north, BPC to the west, and water to the south and east. However, I often include BPC implicitly when I talk about 'FiDi', a term that helps set it apart from its pre-residential-heyday before Y2K. In fact, having a name like 'FiDi' at all strongly implies a residential direction, as it was taught to me by a prominent Lower Manhattan Real Estate firm. The Financial District is for working—FiDi is for living and playing.

Not in my mind it doesn't. I haven't heard any native New Yorkers using it.  TriBeCa and SoHo sound snotty enough, but "FiDi" is just downright on another level of hoity-toity. I can see it now...

Girlfriend to Boyfriend: Where are you going hun?

Boyfriend: Oh, I'm going down to "FiDi" to meet up with some buddies and have some cold ones. <_<:lol:

4 hours ago, Porter said:

Well yes, the areas that are popular with tourists have people on weekends no matter what. Once you go deeper into the narrow winding street grid, though, many businesses operate very reduced hours or are simply closed. Last year, I walked from Fulton Center to Whitehall Terminal on surface streets at about 2 AM, and there is no nightlife whatsoever along Broadway or its neighboring side streets.

During off hours, the Fulton Center may still be busy, but that can be at least partially attributed to people using the connections between subway lines, and less to people actually getting out and going to work.

Yes, there are some residential buildings along Broad Street and other streets. But really, there's not that many of them. There's still far more commercial buildings.

Edited by P3F

4 minutes ago, P3F said:

Well yes, the areas that are popular with tourists have people on weekends no matter what. Once you go deeper into the narrow winding street grid, though, many businesses operate very reduced hours or are simply closed. Last year, I walked from Fulton Center to Whitehall Terminal on surface streets at about 2 AM, and there is no nightlife whatsoever along Broadway or its neighboring side streets.

During off hours, the Fulton Center may still be busy, but that can be at least partially attributed to people using the connections between subway lines, and less to people actually getting out and going to work.

Yes, there are some residential buildings along Broad Street and other streets. But really, there's not that many of them. There's still far more commercial buildings.

I stayed with a friend who was house-sitting on Park Place for a few weeks last winter... there's plenty of night life, plenty of residential. 

Yes, you walked down a corridor that is almost entirely commercial. But if you looked at the area in total, you'd be surprised. I know I was. 

Also, we're talking about the BMT broadway line south of Canal here - the two stations at the bottom tip of manhattan we're talking about are only a portion of the area served. 

In any event - the astoria end of the line could use more service on the weekends. Try it and see. Mid day trains can get weekday rush-hour crowded.