SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Calvin said:

24 R42s that were on the (M) are returning to the (J) . Having 4 total and skip-stop during the rush will run regularly.  

They have more R179’s to suffice though. East New York just sent a 4-car R32 set to 207th. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:04 PM, Coney Island Av said:

A few days ago...I saw this at 59 St-Columbus Circle. 

It's an uncovered sign, which depicts the old style in which subway signs were manufactured. The former service patterns of the (B) to 168 St, 21 St-Queensbridge or Coney Island and (C) to Rockaway Park or Bedford Park Blvd were taped over. Just a nice throwback to the old signs. 

<pic removed>

Nice find. It actually makes my point on why the current signage is pretty vague. In order to fit all of the relevant information onto these signs, the font size had to be very small. I assume you were close to the platform to capture this pic, correct? For riders not standing near the platform edge, it would be almost impossible to read this, hence the larger font size and less detailed service information on them.

For those who care about this sort of thing, the MTA seems to have a new last stop subway announcement. It's now some woman annoucing the last stop and asks for everyone to get off so they can clean the train, etc.

I don't know if they're using it formally yet, the conductor on the r188 set containing #7389 announced over the PA system that they were testing the announcement system and that sound byte was played.

They also have one about not standing close to the platform edge and the old NYPD one in that same new voice

Edited by Orion6025

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

For those who care about this sort of thing, the MTA seems to have a new last stop subway announcement. It's now some woman annoucing the last stop and asks for everyone to get off so they can clean the train, etc.

I noticed that they removed much of the misc. automated announcements months ago. Conductors now perform manual announcements regarding delays, train traffic, supervision holding up service, reporting suspicious activity, etc.

I wonder if this was a storage issue as I heard about the limited storage space on the R142 computers.

BTW: I haven't heard a male announcer recording stating "This is the last stop on this train... (forgot the mid portion) thank you for riding the MTA NYC Transit". Is it still there?

1 hour ago, IRT Bronx Express said:

I noticed that they removed much of the misc. automated announcements months ago. Conductors now perform manual announcements regarding delays, train traffic, supervision holding up service, reporting suspicious activity, etc.

I wonder if this was a storage issue as I heard about the limited storage space on the R142 computers.

BTW: I haven't heard a male announcer recording stating "This is the last stop on this train... (forgot the mid portion) thank you for riding the MTA NYC Transit". Is it still there?

Those announcements all had "ladies and gentlemen" on them, which is banned in (MTA) jargon. They now prefer more gender neutral terms, like "hello everyone".

So I was at Myrtle Av wanting to make one single trip on the (M) shuttle before it ends. And I noticed the MTA is putting up new signs since the (M) is returning to Metropolitan Av in full. And you know what:

krTIJ48.jpg 

yEvuYDW.jpg

They accidentally mixed up the placement of the new signs. The sign that should be on the Queens-bound local track is above the middle track, and the sign that should be on the middle track is on the Queens-bound track instead. Amazing...

Shifting gears, I've also seen twice now an empty (5) train that goes into service at Grand Central-42 St during the PM Rush and ends up running to New Lots Av.

3sZavef.jpg

uXKbWC7.png

I first time I saw it was after some incident on the Lex so I thought it was just an effect of that, but after seeing it a second time now I'm really curious. What's going on? Are these supposed to be gap trains going to Livonia Yard or something? Is this something that's unofficially official or just happens ad-hoc after incidents? They're certainly helpful for crowd control, if not a bit confusing for the average rider. The first time I saw it was at around 6 PM, the second time a little before 6:30 PM. One day around 8:30 PM I also saw one of the last (5) trains to Brooklyn each night, that runs to Utica Av, signed up as going to New Lots Av (although the countdown clock still listed it as terminating at Utica Av). Wonder what caused that discrepancy. 

There's something I noticed on the (J) line today. The fleet is mostly R42s, R143s and R160As (the 160A part will change on Monday). Also, (J) and (M) trains store their trains at the abandoned section of Nassau St line with some (J) trains terminating at Marcy Av. 

Now, with the (5) , there is a time that the put in from Unionport Yard to Flatbush Av may run as a shuttle to Eastchester. 

Edited by Calvin

6 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

You're kinda late on that part. They've been storing trains down there ever since the Myrtle Avenue reconstruction.

Which is kind of a bad idea seeing how the stored trains get tagged up very heavily. And then it serves no point because the train gets taken out of service for DAYS. 🙄

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Where did you get those boards from?

Amazon, $26

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JSKF21/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I 3d printed a thing to hold them together. 

They're driven with raspberry pi 3 and the adafruit PWM matrix hat:

https://www.amazon.com/2327-Raspberry-Servo-Development-Board/dp/B00SI1SPHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525046656&sr=8-1&keywords=Adafruit+PWM+hat

I did do a mod on that hat to use hardware pwm, I forget what the trick was but i think hzeller talks about it on github. 

The software I'm using to drive it is 

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix

https://github.com/partofthething/infopanel

And I'm accessing the MTA api using a seperate node-red instance and pushing arrival times over MQTT. 

If anyone is actually interested in spooling one of these up I can offer more insight, but it's not for the feint of heart. 

Just now, itmaybeokay said:

Amazon, $26

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JSKF21/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I 3d printed a thing to hold them together. 

They're driven with raspberry pi 3 and the adafruit PWM matrix hat:

https://www.amazon.com/2327-Raspberry-Servo-Development-Board/dp/B00SI1SPHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525046656&sr=8-1&keywords=Adafruit+PWM+hat

I did do a mod on that hat to use hardware pwm, I forget what the trick was but i think hzeller talks about it on github. 

The software I'm using to drive it is 

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix

https://github.com/partofthething/infopanel

And I'm accessing the MTA api using a seperate node-red instance and pushing arrival times over MQTT. 

If anyone is actually interested in spooling one of these up I can offer more insight, but it's not for the feint of heart. 

Yea if you could send the plans to me in my PM that would be great