SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

n-train2-generic.jpg?quality=75&strip=al

........Yes, for some odd reason the NY Post photoshopped an (N) onto an R62. Link to article which is just as bizarre (women... or are they Alien Orions from Star Trek? out here robbing people)

https://nypost.com/2022/10/02/thieves-wearing-neon-green-snatch-teens-purse-at-nyc-subway/

Link to video the article is about...

Edited by trainfan22

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

........Yes, for some odd reason the NY Post photoshopped an (N) onto an R62. Link to article which is just as bizarre (women in green CGI suits robbing people)

https://nypost.com/2022/10/02/thieves-wearing-neon-green-snatch-teens-purse-at-nyc-subway/

The exact same photo, except with a (1) , also from the NY Post.

one-train-getty.jpg?quality=75&strip=all

Edited by GojiMet86

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

........Yes, for some odd reason the NY Post photoshopped an (N) onto an R62. Link to article which is just as bizarre (women... or are they Alien Orions from Star Trek? out here robbing people)

Been seeing that image floating around for some time now. Baffling that NY Post would use it

3 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Been seeing that image floating around for some time now. Baffling that NY Post would use it

At this point, I don't think I'd even want to wipe my ass with it. (I'm talking about that rag, not the shop.)

2 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Same here. What the hell is wrong with the people who work at that paper (among all the other things)? They couldn’t find a perfectly good photo of an R68 or R46 signed up as an (N) train? There must be at least hundreds online!

The majority of the riding public recognizes the differences in appearance of different car types, but they most likely don't know that they'll never see a set of R62's in passenger service on the (N) Line. With that said, the media makes a name for itself by distracting and misleading people on the regular, just as we see here...

18 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Guess they don’t like the R46’s lol. I’m sure they could have snapped a pic of the (N) real quick. 

4 hours ago, AlgorithmOfTruth said:

The majority of the riding public recognizes the differences in appearance of different car types, but they most likely don't know that they'll never see a set of R62's in passenger service on the (N) Line. With that said, the media makes a name for itself by distracting and misleading people on the regular, just as we see here...

The Post definitely does.

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

ima move this topic over from the R-211 thread

@RandomRider0101 In order to do a Full Peak Express on the (J), Myrtle Junction needs to be addressed in addition to the curves on both ends on the Bridge including speeding the Bridge up (while maintaining a safe distance) 

Yeah, I heard b4 that there was something preventing them from doing peak express; so this of course makes sense.

In that case, they should just run the (J) every 5 minutes and call it a day.

@Apes I hear what you're saying, but the thing is that the current (J)(Z) skip-stop service already runs at an average frequency of 5 minutes (unless that has changed recently).

All rush hour trains run to/from Broad St. (unless that's also changed recently). So either way y'all will still have to clear all the trains out once they reach there, so what difference will it make (I'm assuming you're a train operator?)

Edited by RandomRider0101

On 9/21/2022 at 11:51 PM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

They’re (G)lad to see R160s on their line.

As for the (B) and (D), I think everyone on here pretty much knows the reason Transit switched them in 2004 when the 6th Ave Manhattan Bridge tracks reopened. They could have just as easily brought them back to their pre-2001 Brooklyn routes by upgrading the (B) to 24/7 service via the West End Line and extended to 205th Street, while downgrading the (D) to weekdays-only service on the Brighton Express. But they didn’t. Even if they did we’d likely still have the same maddening delays at DeKalb Junction and long waits for the next train after every two trains that pass through Canal or Grand. But that’s for another discussion…

It's still the same thing just with swapped letters..

On 10/5/2022 at 12:18 PM, R68ACTrain said:

They’re (G)lad to see R160s on their line

I remember couple weeks back riding the SIM 33C (Combination, ha) into Manhattan one evening and seeing a 5 car R160 heading up to Smith-9 Sts and thinking hm, so that finally came full circle 

Hey guys! It's been 8 years since I last went to New York, but it's in the cards for me to do so again. To that end I was wondering if there are any locals that would be able to help me with selecting some best spots for photography.

I am looking for recommendations for the best stations on the B/Q and D in south Brooklyn for photos of R46/68/68A cars. Ideally quieter stations but not ones that are the sketchy. I am especially wondering about Prospect Park as that would be a good location to get R68 and A shots in one spot.

I am also looking to find stations in downtown or midtown Manhattan that have sufficient space out at the end of the platform to snap acceptable stationary shots of trains on the 1/2/3, 4/5/6, B/D/F/M. I am wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist!

3 minutes ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

Hey guys! It's been 8 years since I last went to New York, but it's in the cards for me to do so again. To that end I was wondering if there are any locals that would be able to help me with selecting some best spots for photography.

I am looking for recommendations for the best stations on the B/Q and D in south Brooklyn for photos of R46/68/68A cars. Ideally quieter stations but not ones that are the sketchy. I am especially wondering about Prospect Park as that would be a good location to get R68 and A shots in one spot.

I am also looking to find stations in downtown or midtown Manhattan that have sufficient space out at the end of the platform to snap acceptable stationary shots of trains on the 1/2/3, 4/5/6, B/D/F/M. I am wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations.

West 8th Street, Sheepshead Bay, Kings Highway, and Beverley Road are also pretty good stations on the Brighton.

On the West End, 9th Avenue is a must. 18th Avenue is pretty good, although I fan the Brighton way more, so I can't speak for other West End stops.

34th Street-Herald Square has enough space on specific ends.

It gets harder with the 1/2/3/4/5/6 because the platforms are almost exactly the same length as the trains. I do think South Ferry has decent space.

1 hour ago, GojiMet86 said:

West 8th Street, Sheepshead Bay, Kings Highway, and Beverley Road are also pretty good stations on the Brighton.

On the West End, 9th Avenue is a must. 18th Avenue is pretty good, although I fan the Brighton way more, so I can't speak for other West End stops.

34th Street-Herald Square has enough space on specific ends.

It gets harder with the 1/2/3/4/5/6 because the platforms are almost exactly the same length as the trains. I do think South Ferry has decent space.

I know the rear end of the southbound platform at Fort Hamilton Parkway on the (D) has enough space. You also get One WTC depending on the angle/visibility. 

South Ferry has space on its south end, due to the curvature one may find it preferable to take a shot from Track 1. 

@ttcsubwayfan I don't know what camera you have or its capabilities, but if you're willing to, you can try timing a shot from the Bronx-bound platform at Bowling Green as the train leaves. There isn't enough space as the train is stopped in the station for a full shot (or close to it), but once it starts leaving there's a little more space for it. 

2 hours ago, ttcsubwayfan said:

For West End, you got:

• 9 Av for the unique layout design
  • 18 Av for the shot of Manhattan as well as being pretty great area to see (D) trains picking up speed along the curves on both ends departing
  • 20 Av on the southbound platform for a nice long shot of a portion of 86 St 
  • 25 Av on the northbound platform for another nice long shot of 86 St while also being able to see Ave X of Culver and the curve of departing and arriving trains.
  • Bay 50 St for the shot of Coney Island, the curve towards Coney Island, a shot of Manhattan, and some yard moves

For Manhattan, you got:

• Broadway-Lafayette St I think has a pretty good shot of (B)(D) trains coming into the station from Grand St
  • 34 St-Herald Square is also a pretty good station

As for Brighton, someone else already has already called out those stations. Anyway, hope you have fun.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Avoid riding the subway specifically the B div lines this weekend, drive or use Uber/Lyft if possible. This weekend was one of the most miserable experiences I ever had riding the subway. 

Every time I see a comment along these lines, I always think that G.O.’s could be better handled somehow so that they don’t hurt people as much on the weekends…

FASTRACK was a thing and something that would certainly consolidate a lot of projects.

but the real question is HOW would we go about changing the GO structure to make the system better?

1 hour ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Every time I see a comment along these lines, I always think that G.O.’s could be better handled somehow so that they don’t hurt people as much on the weekends…

FASTRACK was a thing and something that would certainly consolidate a lot of projects.

but the real question is HOW would we go about changing the GO structure to make the system better?

Well let's look at the current G.O. now, the (N) is part suspended between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square, the (Q) was running local between 57 St to Canal St, might as well run the (N) with the (Q) to 96 St. There's no reason in delaying (Q) trains by terminating the (N) early, why not just run that train to 96 St? The (R) was via the (D), might as well make sure service is running as smooth as possible along Broadway. Just because it wasn't on Broadway, doesn't mean that there's more leeway, Broadway trains are running local too.

They could've kept uptown (C) trains running express along 8 Av and CPW from Canal St to 145 St while uptown (D) trains ran local along CPW. Obviously, that would've sucked for those taking the (D), but at least there wouldn't be nearly as much delays for the (A)(C)(D)(F) and (R) lines because of this one move.