SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

52 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Well let's look at the current G.O. now, the (N) is part suspended between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square, the (Q) was running local between 57 St to Canal St, might as well run the (N) with the (Q) to 96 St. There's no reason in delaying (Q) trains by terminating the (N) early, why not just run that train to 96 St? The (R) was via the (D), might as well make sure service is running as smooth as possible along Broadway. Just because it wasn't on Broadway, doesn't mean that there's more leeway, Broadway trains are running local too.

They could've kept uptown (C) trains running express along 8 Av and CPW from Canal St to 145 St while uptown (D) trains ran local along CPW. Obviously, that would've sucked for those taking the (D), but at least there wouldn't be nearly as much delays for the (A)(C)(D)(F) and (R) lines because of this one move.

I went to read the service changes myself and it was the first time I was genuinely confused. Who in the service planning department (or whatever the proper name for that department is) approved these service patterns!?!

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on station suggestions! I am highly appreciative. It seems like I have a good selection of stations along the South Brooklyn lines, which is always encouraging.

From a quick glance at NYCSubway, I see that besides Chambers on the (1)(2)(3) , Brooklyn Bridge's north end seems to have a surplus of space too, which is encouraging for the (4)(5)(6). Fortunately my hotel is right near Battery Park so I will have no issues making it to these stations at any time. South Ferry is a known quantity to me and comes with the bonus of not looking like a dungeon, so I'll need to push my camera less to get a good exposure compared to elsewhere.

BTW, can anyone comment on how safe the Staten Island Railway and Dyckman Street/125 St on the (1) are? To answer @BM5 via Woodhaven's question at the same time I am using a Canon SL3 DSLR so I'm slightly more weary of where I go compared to when I was a kid, running around with a dinky P&S camera. Bowling Green should be doable, I think, provided the train is not moving at a high rate of speed, I have more options with this camera compared to what I was running previously.

Looking forward to it, should be a good trip. :)

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

5 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Well a study on IRT Subway Capacity (from July 2020) dropped today. here’s a link to the tweet containing the link. Lot of good content here: 

One of those content in that study is the new the 8 which is basically the (2) to New Lots.

unknown.png?width=1039&height=676

It's quite the interesting concept.

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

One of those content in that study is the new the 8 which is basically the (2) to New Lots.

unknown.png?width=1039&height=676

It's quite the interesting concept.

Makes sense somewhat. If the Lexington and 7 Avenue routes are going to cross/merge, the might as well do it so that they’re getting something out of the merge. In the case of the (5) and red (8), they’ll be serving stations together to the end of the New Lots Avenue branch instead of crossing paths for no other reason than to get to the other side. Any merges that do happen will be easier: trains on the local track can be queued from Nostrand Avenue to Kingston Avenue where they don’t hold back trains headed to Flatbush Avenue. In the reverse, (4) and (5) trains don’t wait in the tunnel, but are platformed at Utica Avenue while waiting for a merge window.

12 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

If this question was answered before, then I apologize in advance.

When was it decided for the R62A's on the (6) to lose the signage LED's. I saw some whole train sets without them so I was curious.

From what I've found looking through other photos in another group, the LED removal from the (6) started around last summer (to be exact: June 26th of this year) . There was one train that had no LEDs that led a weekly basics to have other trains with LEDs removed. There's at least one train or a 5-car that still has it but, maybe in removal process. 

The 42nd Shuttle, I do remember seeing LEDs on there: 2 of their 6-car trains still has it but, that may be removed as well. How they had the LED 62As on the 1-stop Shuttle is something I wonder about. 

Edited by Calvin

5 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

When was it decided for the R62A's on the (6) to lose the signage LED's. I saw some whole train sets without them so I was curious.

They started losing them eariler this summer. Word going around is that they're being taken off to prevent being stolen from vandals. There's only one set with the LEDs running around.

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

A combination of vandalism and the components failing

On 10/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, ttcsubwayfan said:

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on station suggestions! I am highly appreciative. It seems like I have a good selection of stations along the South Brooklyn lines, which is always encouraging.

From a quick glance at NYCSubway, I see that besides Chambers on the (1)(2)(3) , Brooklyn Bridge's north end seems to have a surplus of space too, which is encouraging for the (4)(5)(6). Fortunately my hotel is right near Battery Park so I will have no issues making it to these stations at any time. South Ferry is a known quantity to me and comes with the bonus of not looking like a dungeon, so I'll need to push my camera less to get a good exposure compared to elsewhere.

BTW, can anyone comment on how safe the Staten Island Railway and Dyckman Street/125 St on the (1) are? To answer @BM5 via Woodhaven's question at the same time I am using a Canon SL3 DSLR so I'm slightly more weary of where I go compared to when I was a kid, running around with a dinky P&S camera. Bowling Green should be doable, I think, provided the train is not moving at a high rate of speed, I have more options with this camera compared to what I was running previously.

Looking forward to it, should be a good trip. :)

Don't worry too much about it, you'll be okay, so long as you pay attention to your surroundings and stay away from people that exhibit any strange behavior, everything will be fine. Sometimes employees might direct their stress and frustration toward you while you're taking pictures or recording videos, but try your best to ignore them as your focus is the trains. Dyckman Street and 125th Street on the (1) Line are stations that offer nice viewpoints to get some great pictures and videos. I'm not sure about the Staten Island Railway though, I live too far away from it, but I'm sure there's someone on here who can help answer that question for you. If you don't mind me asking, will you be posting your content on YouTube? I'd like to see it, but if not, welcome to New York City.

Edited by AlgorithmOfTruth

10 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

This makes the loss sting even more, Mets wrapped train only for the team to be eliminated from the playoffs in the wildcard round by the Padres. 

I guess someone with a spray can will come along to “update” it to “Same Old Mets.” 😂 Unless they’ve already removed the wrap. Ditto for the interior wrap on the 42nd St Shuttle.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 10/9/2022 at 9:05 PM, CenSin said:

Makes sense somewhat. If the Lexington and 7 Avenue routes are going to cross/merge, the might as well do it so that they’re getting something out of the merge. In the case of the (5) and red (8), they’ll be serving stations together to the end of the New Lots Avenue branch instead of crossing paths for no other reason than to get to the other side. Any merges that do happen will be easier: trains on the local track can be queued from Nostrand Avenue to Kingston Avenue where they don’t hold back trains headed to Flatbush Avenue. In the reverse, (4) and (5) trains don’t wait in the tunnel, but are platformed at Utica Avenue while waiting for a merge window.

Agreed…if Transit is seriously considering deinterlining Rogers without doing multi-billion dollar construction on Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue that’s sure to create even bigger blowback than if Transit were to ask Nostrand riders to transfer at Franklin for Lexington Ave service. I’m assuming the point of the red ( 8 ) service is so that they can run 30 tph on the 7th Ave Express and not have to build new switches to permit either the (4) or (5) to switch from express to local to stop at Nostrand and Kingston, while the other Lexington train continues express to Utica. You’ll still have a merge between the (5) and ( 8 ) after Utica, but I’m guessing that’s a much easier merge than today’s (2)(3)(5) merge at Franklin.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

On 10/11/2022 at 11:35 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Agreed…if Transit is seriously considering deinterlining Rogers without doing multi-billion dollar construction on Eastern Parkway and Nostrand Avenue that’s sure to create even bigger blowback than if Transit were to ask Nostrand riders to transfer at Franklin for Lexington Ave service. I’m assuming the point of the red ( 8 ) service is so that they can run 30 tph on the 7th Ave Express and not have to build new switches to permit either the (4) or (5) to switch from express to local to stop at Nostrand and Kingston, while the other Lexington train continues express to Utica. You’ll still have a merge between the (5) and ( 8 ) after Utica, but I’m guessing that’s a much easier merge than today’s (2)(3)(5) merge at Franklin.

It seems to be the exact point.  While it is certainly ideal to prevent as many of the reverse merges as possible, if a reverse merge has to happen, it is far better for that merge to happen at a point where there are fewer trains to deal with, and ideally further away from Lower Manhattan, so that fewer trains and passengers are affected.

If CBTC can allow for 30 TPH on both the 7th Ave express and the Lex express, that's wonderful, but the trains have to go somewhere.  Under the current ops, (5) trains interfere with every 7th Ave train at Franklin.  But under the proposal, (5) will only interfere with 8, leaving (2) and (3) to be largely spared from the merging issues.

In any event, I am glad that MTA is considering the issue, since I believe it will ultimately be helpful and would cause fewer delays for IRT in Brooklyn. Ultimately, a new service pattern needs to be tried out for like 6 months to see if the changes actually improve trip times for both trains and passengers.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Advocacy group f**kery :lol: Passengers United running up on Jumaane Williams outside of Hotels :lol: Very entertaining video especially at the beginning. 

**youtube video**

Smfh.... Yet another episode of Charlton bitching about something regarding Riders Alliance.... The dude spends far too much time & energy on that particular advocacy group's nuts (clout chasing), than he does... well... actually advocating for better transit.... If his strategy is to try to tear down his quote-unquote competition (which shouldn't be a thing here anyway) in an attempt to bolster his own group, he's not going to get anywhere....

....come to think of it, what the hell is his angle when it comes to transit anyway? Judging by his vidcom's (video commentaries), you'd never know.... Trying to be an unhinged, bootleg version of a Greg Mocker & calling yourself an advocacy group is a whole entire joke.

Edited by B35 via Church

16 hours ago, mrsman said:

It seems to be the exact point.  While it is certainly ideal to prevent as many of the reverse merges as possible, if a reverse merge has to happen, it is far better for that merge to happen at a point where there are fewer trains to deal with, and ideally further away from Lower Manhattan, so that fewer trains and passengers are affected.

If CBTC can allow for 30 TPH on both the 7th Ave express and the Lex express, that's wonderful, but the trains have to go somewhere.  Under the current ops, (5) trains interfere with every 7th Ave train at Franklin.  But under the proposal, (5) will only interfere with 8, leaving (2) and (3) to be largely spared from the merging issues.

In any event, I am glad that MTA is considering the issue, since I believe it will ultimately be helpful and would cause fewer delays for IRT in Brooklyn. Ultimately, a new service pattern needs to be tried out for like 6 months to see if the changes actually improve trip times for both trains and passengers.

That's what happens when you design the infrastructure to preserve street-level aesthetics instead of something more robust and functional. At this point, no one seems to be willing to change the infrastructure to something actually reasonable, even though doing so would allow for designs that permit both easier rebalancing of train throughput and a way to allow people to reach homes/businesses north of Eastern Parkway's main road without having to cross in front of cars on said main road, especially if they have some form of mobility impairment.

Speaking of poor designs, I'd really like to bring up 142nd Street. Instead of proposing a flying junction with southbound (2) trains diving under (3) trains, they thought it better to have northbound (3) trains dive under southbound (2) trains, which is painfully stupid of the contractor.

I won't even bother talking about the (3) and (5). At this point, I believe I've made my stance on proposals like the ones in this study clear.

Edited by Lex

4 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I know this is unrelated to the current topic, but why are the friction brakes on the NTTs so bad? You know a train with dead motor is coming from a mile away due to the insane brake screech. Are the friction brakes just not maintained well?

like the R142A's when they ran on the (6)

5 hours ago, Lex said:

Speaking of poor designs, I'd really like to bring up 142nd Street. Instead of proposing a flying junction with southbound (2) trains diving under (3) trains, they thought it better to have northbound (3) trains dive under southbound (2) trains, which is painfully stupid of the contractor.

I have not seen these proposals, but it does make sense from the perspective of causing the least disruption. The work to sink the tunnel to 145 Street disrupts only the (3)’s remaining two stations. The (2) can continue running uninterrupted for the most part while the construction is ongoing with the final disruption being to shut down service for connecting the tracks at the new junction.

On the other hand, if the southbound tunnel from the Bronx had to be sunk, then both the (2) and (3) would be disrupted. The (2) would be disrupted by the Harlem River, and both would be disrupted again when the junction finally gets connected.

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I know this is unrelated to the current topic, but why are the friction brakes on the NTTs so bad? You know a train with dead motor is coming from a mile away due to the insane brake screech. Are the friction brakes just not maintained well?

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Yes. But on all the NTTs, the friction brakes still screech when they apply. (either when the dynamics fade out at low speed or a motor is dead) Examples: A B C or anytime a train comes to a final stop.

This issue isn't unique to the NTTs; it happens all the time with the old techs too. Part of it is age, but part of it is also poor maintenance.