SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

6 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I know this is unrelated to the current topic, but why are the friction brakes on the NTTs so bad? You know a train with dead motor is coming from a mile away due to the insane brake screech. Are the friction brakes just not maintained well?

Define bad. A bad brake is one that doesn't work...

The noise is normal. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, CenSin said:

I have not seen these proposals, but it does make sense from the perspective of causing the least disruption. The work to sink the tunnel to 145 Street disrupts only the (3)’s remaining two stations. The (2) can continue running uninterrupted for the most part while the construction is ongoing with the final disruption being to shut down service for connecting the tracks at the new junction.

On the other hand, if the southbound tunnel from the Bronx had to be sunk, then both the (2) and (3) would be disrupted. The (2) would be disrupted by the Harlem River, and both would be disrupted again when the junction finally gets connected.

All the more reason to do it and get it out of the way. The longer we sit on it, the more painful it'll be.

6 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

That’s what it’s supposed to sound like. You do have metal pressing against metal, after all.

That's a good point. However, the screeching is more severe on certain fleets than others, especially the Adtranz pack.

The R142s & R179s don't screech as much as the other fleets, and people have said that Bombardier has the smoothest ride quality (eventually I figured out what ride quality is). From my observation, that does seem to be the case.

Apparently, there is a connection between the screeching brakes and ride quality of the train.

I found these videos a few months ago and wanted to share them. Someone used a magnetic coil to record propulsion on the NTTs. I think it sounds quite interesting.

R142A/R143/R188 R160B Siemens R142/R160A/R160B Alstom Edit: R179

Edited by texassubwayfan555
added R179

13 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I found these videos a few months ago and wanted to share them. Someone used a magnetic coil to record propulsion on the NTTs. I think it sounds quite interesting.

R142A/R143/R188 R160B Siemens R142/R160A/R160B Alstom Edit: R179

Wow, this explains a lot about how the trains got that nice sound

1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

How do you find out things like this?

Can't speak for others but for me, riding the line and seeing those car classes on the (2) .

This usually happens when the (2) terminates at 96th street and the (2) is cut off from its yard and has to borrow cars from other lines.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

There's both R62 AND an R62A on the (2) today. Wanted the R62A but it was serveral trains behind the one I was on and I didn't feel like wasting my day waiting for it.

An R62A (2) just passed me. I would've got on, but it was a little crowded & another one was right behind; so I just waited for that one instead (it was an R142).

Not sure where to post this except here in this thread (without starting a new one), but the R33ML at the Queens Courthouse (car #9075) has been removed from its spot today and will be trucked over to NJ. The car was sold on auction a few weeks back. 

28 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I wonder what the buyer plans to do with it. Also about the the Redbirds, why were none preserved like some of the other retired trains?

There's quite a few Redbirds apart of transit museum collection, they just repainted some of the pairs into pre GOH paint schemes. There's an R36WF pair in the museum fleet still in the Redbird paint scheme. As well as one R33ML car in a pair (the other car in the pair is green). The R33ML & R33WF probably got the most cars in the TM fleet, it's ethier the R33s or the IND prewar cars with the most cars in the TM fleet.

5 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I wonder what the buyer plans to do with it. Also about the the Redbirds, why were none preserved like some of the other retired trains?

Not only are they still around… we’re still using them all the time. More than half of the R33WFs are still in service as work motors, for example.

7 hours ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I hope these cars get preserved whenever they are done being used as garbage train motors.

They already have at least one pair of each redbird class preserved (excluding work cars). R26, R28, R29: one pair each on NYCT property (there's another R28 pair preserved at a museum in Illinois). R33ML, R33S, & R36 have the most cars preserved. On top of that, many R33 pairs & singles are used in work service; some have since been replaced by R32s, which in turn have been replaced by R42s.

With all that said, how many more cars should they preserve when yard space is already limited? NYCT's top priority should be making sure they can fit 1,537 R211s; not to mention the extra cars that would later be added on as a result of late deliveries.

11 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Based on the fact the 30 day revenue test has not even started, I don't think there is going to be a need for storing hundreds of R211 car cars anytime soon.

Obviously the R211s are not all here now. I mean when they do get here, there will need to be space for them to fit. Even when all the R46s & other unpreserved cars are all gone, they will still need space to store hundreds of extra cars. I didn't even mention the R262s, which will also require space to store a couple hundred more cars.

You & others want the TA to save a whole bunch of cars; but y'all have to keep in mind that space is mainly needed for passenger cars & work equipment. What's the point of saving so many cars when there eventually won't be space to fit them?

https://nypost.com/2022/10/17/man-dead-after-being-shoved-in-front-of-subway-in-queens-in-yet-another-transit-fatality/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=facebook_app&fbclid=IwAR2NybjuAUqs_pl9AtuR7Hmxf28yIiTqFUHOGfTE1ngzu11fr6KJeTV-44M

(E)(F)(M)(R) trains were delayed from this PM rush due to a dispute between two individuals. One was shoved to an (F) train with the other in custody. At this time, all trains are bypassing Roosevelt Av with 74 St-Broadway  (7) blocked off for transfer.  

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There are a ton of R32’s in Concourse Yard with the number plates & logos ripped off…

it’s a bad idea, I’m telling you…keep those cars in storage until the 211’s are in.

The have not been training new hires on the older SMEES. I don’t even know what a Drum switch looks like, let alone how to set one.

keeping them just doesn’t make sense when you run the risk of having a crew that doesn’t know how to run them.

I’m more interested in the R68/68A equipment at the moment. What are the latest plans for these cars ? I read a report on the (MTA) and the Grand Central Madison delays and the cost overruns incurred by the agency and thought about the situation in the subway system. New equipment is on the way but I don’t think that it’s a guarantee that the option orders will even be fully funded. Unless the (MTA) picks up the full tab for the option. The money people at the FTA seem ready to kick the agency to the curb while congressional investigations open. Does anyone think that the agency is going to tell the Feds that they are dumping equipment while asking for financial help for new car purchases ?  The decades long financial mismanagement is going to bite the (MTA) in the keister. Meanwhile the BMT isn’t fully CBTC compliant and probably won’t be, if ever. What about the SIR ? Too many questions about this situation. One thing I can say is that many people seem to be gobbling up the PR from the agency without looking at the history. 20+ years ago some people in the know told my coworkers that the (MTA) was going to blind the public with BS. Looks like they were right, IMO. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Additional thought