SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone who takes the (4) to Utica feel that some more (4) ,s should be sent to New Lots? Many times the bottleneck goes all the way to

Nostrand and in severe cases to Franklin! I think some should go to New Lots and also people won't see the (3) zoom by on the local anymore.

Edited by Abba

No. Because the (3) is based out of Livonia, while a few (2)(4)(5) are just stored there. The (3) is the primary service on the New Lots branch, not the other Brooklyn IRT routes, as they already have their own home shops in the Bronx. So it wouldn't be fair at all. Let's not spread the delays over to the New Lots branch, please? Leave Rogers, Utica and Flatbush alone.

If you want any improvement to the (4), triple-track the segment between Crown Heights–Utica Avenue and New Lots Avenue. That'll provide a longer stretch of track to spread the delay out and hopefully dilute the congestion enough to make a difference. That pretty much means we'll still be sending (4) trains to New Lots Avenue, but it won't try to merge with the (3) until some half a dozen stations down the line. This takes the delays off Rogers Junction or Crown Heights–Utica Avenue where the delays screw the line.

Yeah, hes right. So I guess it was built for a future expanison to the west of the Yard, but was never completed. 

BTW, is that the field in the 1921 picture? It looks so...greeny.

I don't think it was yet an athletic field in 1921 - it was just, well. A field. 

I highly recommend taking some time to poke around the old aerial photos on maps.nyc.gov

You can turn on the subway layer to see the modern transit lines to use as guideposts. 

Many of them, of course, weren't built yet when these photos were taken.

And several current stations sit where, in 1921, there was nothing but farms and dirt roads. 

But most fascinating, to me, is exploring the now-demolished elevated lines of manhattan, and other infrastructure that no longer exists - sprawling rail yards on the west side of manhattan, old penn station, etc etc. Quite fun to compare to the 1951 aerial and the modern satellite views. 

I don't understand why some more (4)'s cant go to New Lots.There is a switch right after Utica.The only merging problem would be the (3).The best thing though would be yes build another merge track at Utica.

What the (4) should do is switch via the 7th Ave before Utica to be able to head to New Lots

Has this issue ever been fixed where a (2) or (5) train would go via Bowling Green or South Ferry and it would always say "this is Cortlandt Street."

TF? What are you talking about? That hasn't been an issue of if it has fill me in on it

Has this issue ever been fixed where a (2) or (5) train would go via Bowling Green or South Ferry and it would always say "this is Cortlandt Street."

The announcements are still there, the T/O or C/R just has to omit the stop when they are setting the train up.

I have a picture of a (5) saying Cortlandt St, but I gotta find it

I was thinking..... If Nassau Country was Queens, then it would be the largest borough attached to the current Queens. Now, how far would you guys think the subway would have expanded? How far would you go?

Same as now. Political borders won't make a difference if we can't even cover large swaths of Queens.

I just bore witness to the longest battery run I've ever seen in my life: Kingsbridge Road all the way to 161st on the (4) line without stopping, while still in service. This was the end result of a sick passenger at Bedford Park that originally did not want to exit the train, but eventually did and since there were two other employees at the station, the train was able to proceed after the train crew jotted down some notes about the incident.

Since this was on top of a GO already in progress NB between Burnside and Woodlawn, so the whole line had to be shut down momentarily while that was going on.

Today I saw an R68 NIS on the QBL on the D5 Layup track. I was about to take a video of it, but my camera died. Then it took 15-20 mins to get to Roosevelt and I saw a work train at 71

There were a couple big issues on the QBL yesterday - maybe they're still cleaning up from them, re the work train. 

I've got no insight on the R68 - maybe just schoolcar. 

The announcements are still there, the T/O or C/R just has to omit the stop when they are setting the train up.

I have a picture of a (5) saying Cortlandt St, but I gotta find it

Found It...

1454547_10205047673145844_61180325687044

For some reason if I don't go onto the Subway section of the forums it automatically bumps me back to June 2014 even if I made a post on here afterwards.

Anyways is the (7) still running shuttle buses from last week?

Same with me' are you using the mobile version?

Found It...

1454547_10205047673145844_61180325687044

Wow thanks! This is Rare!