SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"

New #7 warning signs installed -- too soon?

Posted by gbs on Wed Feb 18 00:55:55 2015

Today I noticed that, on all the #7 stations from 90 St to 33 St, next to the familiar red "Do not enter or cross tracks" signs at the ends of the platforms, new yellow warning signs have been installed, stating that

Automatic Train Operation is in effect, Communication Based Train Control Rules apply, and employees must contact the Control Center before entering the roadbed.

In addition to the new signs, at 74 St a yellow keypad and intercom have been installed. There were no signs at Queensboro Plaza or Court Square.

Clearly new signal systems are in the process of being installed, but are these warning signs correct for right now? Or have they been installed (uncovered) too soon? 

"

Where in the car? If you've got any pictures, I'd love to see, as I didn't know any R46s kept traces of that.

Here you go!

It was the first thing that struck my eye when I entered the subway car

You can only see it at a certain angle due to the light

16383791728_cb61553ee7_o.jpg[/url] by spicker613, on Flickr

The car number is 1027, now 5495

I will post more.

Edited by Union Tpke

Best railfan day ever!

At 57 St I saw an (F) train, I saw an (F) train at 47-50 Sts, I saw another at 42 St, and I saw another at 34 St. All were on the uptown local track, each one station apart from the next.

I went to the SIR and went to the Atlantic and Nassau stations, to take pictures before they close.

One the way to Nassau I saw a work train.

At 34 St without alert and with camera battery dead I saw the track geometry train going on the uptown express track.

3643-3642 R32 + EP009 Forest Hills-71 Avenue @2:36 PM

M train on express track leaving station toward Manhattan

5648 R46 My F train had a trace of its old car number too, it had the digits 02 still visible, but when I checked the list of renumbering it says the car was 1088, maybe these were the 08?

Best railfan day ever!

At 57 St I saw an (F) train, I saw an (F) train at 47-50 Sts, I saw another at 42 St, and I saw another at 34 St. All were on the uptown local track, each one station apart from the next.

I went to the SIR and went to the Atlantic and Nassau stations, to take pictures before they close.

One the way to Nassau I saw a work train.

At 34 St without alert and with camera battery dead I saw the track geometry train going on the uptown express track.

3643-3642 R32 + EP009 Forest Hills-71 Avenue @2:36 PM

M train on express track leaving station toward Manhattan

5648 R46 My F train had a trace of its old car number too, it had the digits 02 still visible, but when I checked the list of renumbering it says the car was 1088, maybe these were the 08?

1) What progress have they made at the construction site of Arthur Kill Road station?

2) When are Nassau and Atlantic actually closing?

1) What progress have they made at the construction site of Arthur Kill Road station?

2) When are Nassau and Atlantic actually closing?

There are some beams or whatever it is called in the ground for the platforms, otherwise essentially nothing.

Whenever the Arthur Kill Road station opens, the signs say 4Q of this year, but that seems quite optimistic 

I've been working on a MTA fanon wiki where you can express your ideas like in the proposals threads. I encourage anyone that wants to express their ideas even more with this wiki. Here is the wiki link:

http://mtanyctransitfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Your_MTA_Wiki

Here is a sample page I currently am working on:

http://mtanyctransitfanon.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_bus_routes_in_the_Bronx_(mtamaster_edition)

Again, I hope people use this fanon wiki to show the meaning of what their parallel universe of the MTA is.

I've been working on a MTA fanon wiki where you can express your ideas like in the proposals threads. I encourage anyone that wants to express their ideas even more with this wiki. Here is the wiki link:

http://mtanyctransitfanon.wikia.com/wiki/Your_MTA_Wiki

Here is a sample page I currently am working on:

http://mtanyctransitfanon.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_bus_routes_in_the_Bronx_(mtamaster_edition)

Again, I hope people use this fanon wiki to show the meaning of what their parallel universe of the MTA is.

Basically throwing some (if not all) of what the city has accomplished into the trash bin and innovating something in place of it. I vote to press the undo button on all of the IRT, and put IND-style lines in their place.

Basically throwing some (if not all) of what the city has accomplished into the trash bin and innovating something in place of it. I vote to press the undo button on all of the IRT, and put IND-style lines in their place.

Well the wiki could help with that idea. I would show a subway page but I haven't got around to making one yet.

Well the wiki could help with that idea. I would show a subway page but I haven't got around to making one yet.

I've got a sort of "toolbox" in the works. It's a set of specifications and mix-and-match pre-designed parts consisting mostly of switch diagrams I've clobbered together from technical documents. Basically, they're meant to be laid on top of an accurately-scaled map and connected to make rail layouts. They're sort of like the one you find here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/45995-line-and-junction-designs-raising-transit-efficiency/. But the new ones I'm designing are to-scale and take into account factors such as train velocity, acceleration, and centrifugal forces. Those previous junction designs I posted that looked manageable now appear to require several miles to implement owing to the use of #24 switches for 60 mph passenger operation. You never find these among subways with densely-clustered stations simply because these switches are longer than the platforms themselves.

A #20 crossover switch between two parallel tracks, by the way, takes up 694 feet for track centers 13-feet apart. Increasing the distance between the parallel tracks to 15 feet measured from the track center, the switch would be 734 feet long. It's not good for track worker safety, and decreasing the distance between track centers to an NYC-standard 11 foot (approximate) would only shorten the switch to 654 feet long. 600 feet is about the standard length for B Division platforms with some platforms on the IND being as long as 660 feet. A different type of tunnel structure would probably be needed to support switches that long, and the gain from this 654-foot long switch would be the ability to continue over the switch at 50 miles/hour tops. would be 422 feet long with track centers 15 feet apart. A switch like this would be useful for trains leaving a station since by the time a 600-foot train's last car clears the station, the train would already be running at around 45 miles/hour. #12 crossover switches rated for speeds of up to 30 miles/hour could be used for traffic approaching the station from the other direction. These are the kind of switches (I believe) that are being installed at 72 Street for the Second Avenue Subway.

EDIT: Had to correct some miscalculations.

Edited by CenSin

What I dont understand is why the Chrystie Street connection was disconnected from the Manhattan Bridge if the (B) and (D) were going to connect to it on the other side of the bridge. If it was still here today it would make reroutes a lot easier.

I don't quite understand what you're saying. What's the disconnection you're talking about? The only thing that got disconnected was the connection to Chambers Street. And how would the (B) or (D) lose rerouting flexibility?

Edited by CenSin

Not that, why was the connection discontinued in general? And what I meant by reroute is that it would help the (R) connect to the Manhattan Bridge via the Nassu Street line in case something happens at ex. 34 Street and the line has to be shut down. Same thing with the (J) and (Z).

Not that, why was the connection discontinued in general? And what I meant by reroute is that it would help the (R) connect to the Manhattan Bridge via the Nassu Street line in case something happens at ex. 34 Street and the line has to be shut down. Same thing with the (J) and (Z).

It actually was more as a loop service than an express service, so I see why this was cut.

This also served as a reason why the 6 avenue express exists and did it in a reasonable amount of money.

What I dont understand is why the Chrystie Street connection was disconnected from the Manhattan Bridge if the (B) and (D) were going to connect to it on the other side of the bridge. If it was still here today it would make reroutes a lot easier.

Before the connection...

South side tracks (current Broadway side) connected to Nassau St north of the Chambers St station. The north side tracks (current 6 Av side) connected to the lower level Broadway platform at Canal St.

The Chrystie St connection (which includes the Grand St station and the BMT-IND connection the (M) uses) opened in the 60s, which realigned everything to what it is now. Before the connection, there was somewhat of a loop line that ran from Brooklyn into Manhattan via the Montague tunnel and Nassau St, then went back out to Brooklyn via the Manhattan Bridge and vice versa. The BMT-IND connection was used by one line which was discontinued soon after and sat unused for decades until the (M) was created.

The only thing lost by severing the Nassau connection to the Manhattan Bridge is the ability to turn around trains from South Brooklyn without having to reverse them. That's such a minor concern, given the major benefits of Chrystie St, namely giving 6th Avenue another route to Brooklyn. Prior to the connection being built, the Nassau loop was so underutilized that regular service on the south side of the Manhattan Bridge was relegated to rush-hours only.

I rode a (4) train out of Manhattan at about 6:30-7pm last night and I actually found a seat and ample room for my luggage, which is amazing considering the GO's that were going on. My bus from Boston was over an hour late due to the snow and all the traffic on 95 from New Haven all the way to Mamaroneck but at that point I didn't care since I didn't have to push my way in and out of the subway LOL.

Why was the (C) rerouted via 6 Av NB, but not the (A)?

The uptown 8 Av local track is out of service for construction, and uptown (A) and (E) trains are running on the express track. The (C) is being sent up 6 Av to avoid having three lines (the (A)(C) and (E)) all running on the same track during the construction.

Edited by Mysterious2train

They seem to end track work early all the time or without any notice at all. Yesterday, Coney Island-bound (Q) trains weren't running express. Today, I saw an (F) late afternoon signed up as Culver Express. The one I caught going home was all local. I ditched the (D) that arrived a minute ago for it too.