SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

To be honest, the (MTA) is only focusing on the (7) and the (Q) instead of focusing on the other problems in the subway. They can't fund the other lines, and they are blowing it on the (7) and the (Q). The CBTC can wait.

Of Course more focus gonna be towards the  (7) cause of the news cars being sent over their extention to 34th st and the CBTC... (Q) Because of 2nd Ave...Im sure the  (MTA) is aware of the other lines...We may not see it but to me they are...Now to say the CBTC can wait i have to disagree with that.. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

think the MTA hates the (5) TRAIN its the worst IRT train its not my home line but for those whose it is I feel bad for yall takes forever to get places from dyre line

The (5) only gets hate south of Manhattan. Otherwise, it's one of the most pampered IRT lines in the Bronx. It gets the Dyre Avenue line with widely-spaced stations, runs express skipping 7 stops below East 180 Street, and also runs express in Manhattan and Brooklyn. But with it being reduced to a mere shuttle at night (like the (R)), and not running to Brooklyn sometimes, I can see where you get the idea from.

Edited by CenSin

Today my E train was so crowded! I had to sort of push into the car and put my backpack not he ground. My brother got his backpack caught in the doors as they were closing, so that they had to open again. There was literally no room to push my glasses up my face. I was rubbing against 3 people. A Queens Blvd Bypass via the LIRR Main Line is needed!

I live along the Brooklyn IRT and I do take the (4)(5) or (2)(3) which i what the MTA replaces when the (2)(3) not running to Brooklyn as a resident along the Bklyn IRT i think the (5) gets the least respect and least customers the BX got to deal with it not running from Dyre to Manhattan wkends n nights so getting home or from means extra transferring

Weekends (5) runs so little like last weekend it ran every 20 mins

Today my E train was so crowded! I had to sort of push into the car and put my backpack not he ground. My brother got his backpack caught in the doors as they were closing, so that they had to open again. There was literally no room to push my glasses up my face. I was rubbing against 3 people. A Queens Blvd Bypass via the LIRR Main Line is needed!

I doubt that the (F) is that crowded (the last one I took had some breathing room and a place for your backpack) so maybe take a train from the (F) and put it on the (E)? And is Culver really that crowded that it needs 14 TPH?

I doubt that the (F) is that crowded (the last one I took had some breathing room and a place for your backpack) so maybe take a train from the (F) and put it on the (E)? And is Culver really that crowded that it needs 14 TPH?

1. The (E) is short on space at both terminals during the rush hours, where would you even put this train?

2. 1 train would be nice for QBL but it wouldn't be the one-size-fits-all solution to the crowding issues on that line. For that we need major upgrades (such as CBTC).

3. It's not as much a question of "does Culver need 14 TPH" as it is "does 6th Avenue need that train from QBL".

I downloaded this app called "NYC Transit Status" developed by David Waring. The app is really accurate. I looked at the service changes and it seems good. I also looked at the service changes on mta.info and compare to the app and the results are the same. I had double check to make sure the info was correct. Whatever it said on mta.info, will appear on NYC Transit App. In the app, it has Subway, bus, Metro North Railroad, Long Island Rail Road & MTA Bridges and tunnels. I had like two transit apps on my phone, NYC Bus Checker & TripGo. And now to make it my third app, NYC Transit Status.  I have Desire 510 btw since last November. https://www.davidwaring.net/

Edited by Q113 LTD

To be honest, the (MTA) is only focusing on the (7) and the (Q) instead of focusing on the other problems in the subway. They can't fund the other lines, and they are blowing it on the (7) and the (Q). The CBTC can wait.

Actually the vast majority of the capital program contracts are for maintenance of the existing system. 

Here, you can review the entire program. 

For sure, some of it is SAS, some of it is 7 extension and CBTC. 

But a hell of a lot of it is general rehab, replacement, and upgrades. 

I'm not saying the capital program is being run perfectly (far from it) 

But, I don't think they're proceeding with, if you'll pardon the expression, "Tunnel Vision"

Dude, leave the (E) and (F) alone please. The (5) is less crowded than the (4) occasionally. Are you going to suggest that they should yank some trains off the (5) and put them on the (4)? No. I'd rather treat all lines equally.

There are certain things in the subway that I don't agree with either. You'll eventually see my proposals in the other thread soon and you'll understand why.

Edited by RollOver

A queens blvd bypass via the lirr main line tracks is needed. 

I would have the F run via the bypass. The M would run via Second Avenue and via the bypass to the rockaways.

There would be a brought back V train to Church Avenue, and a final SAS via QB Local.

I have a question about the N reroute overnight. I am aware that it both bypasses dntwn Manhattan but stops at Dekalb.

1. What is the MTA doing this. Why cant the N be sent over its regular tracks to Atlantic terminal

2. Is there a program on the R160 for the Dekalb stop during this G.O.

Thanks

I have a question about the N reroute overnight. I am aware that it both bypasses dntwn Manhattan but stops at Dekalb.

1. What is the MTA doing this. Why cant the N be sent over its regular tracks to Atlantic terminal

Thanks

to answer # 2 if i am not mistaken "it's VIA Whitehall" if im not mistaken

Thanks

If it's set for Sea Beach local via bridge, then it should have the stop at DeKalb...if not, they just manually announce it

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's the same for the R as well. Probably when they updated the program, they didn't bother to check the lesser-used options like the N/R to 57 St-7 Av and only changed the Q to distinguish between the two 57 St stations. Also note the announcements for the N and Q. The former retained its original "57 St-bound.." recording while the latter was updated to "This is a 57 St-7 Av-bound..."

My adventure on the (A) today...

For starters, I needed to go into Harlem to visit someone so I decided to take the (L) to the junction and catch the (A) from there.

...big mistake

For starters, when I got downstairs, I see it sitting on the local track. Started to move down the train since I needed the front. Ended up walking all the way to the front if the train in no rush at all and the train was still sitting there. Ended up making all local stops along the way.

Fast forward further up the line and we get to 14 St, and they announce that the train would be terminating at 145 St because of a broken rail at 155 St. Kinda inconvenienced me since I needed 155, but I shrugged it off. Get to 50 St, and they said service resumed...get to 59 St and a (B) pulls in on the express track next to us. That gets put in front of us, and we go local right behind it. Along the way to 125 St, we end up getting passed by 2 (D) trains.

My adventure on the (A) today...

For starters, I needed to go into Harlem to visit someone so I decided to take the (L) to the junction and catch the (A) from there.

...big mistake

For starters, when I got downstairs, I see it sitting on the local track. Started to move down the train since I needed the front. Ended up walking all the way to the front if the train in no rush at all and the train was still sitting there. Ended up making all local stops along the way.

Fast forward further up the line and we get to 14 St, and they announce that the train would be terminating at 145 St because of a broken rail at 155 St. Kinda inconvenienced me since I needed 155, but I shrugged it off. Get to 50 St, and they said service resumed...get to 59 St and a (B) pulls in on the express track next to us. That gets put in front of us, and we go local right behind it. Along the way to 125 St, we end up getting passed by 2 (D) trains.

What would've been the alternative?

By "Atlantic Terminal", are you referring to Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr? If you are, then the answer to your question is because (N) trains can't switch to the local tracks there. You're probably thinking of the crossover north of Pacific St - that won't work since it is local-to-express only. The only way (N) trains (or any train coming from the Manhattan Bridge) can make local stops along 4th Av is if they go through DeKalb Avenue, because the only switch to the 4th Av Local is over there.

By the way, this service change takes place during late night hours. Even if Atlantic-Barclays had a express-to-local crossover, it would still make more sense to make local (N) trains stop at DeKalb. DeKalb customers would lose direct 4th Av service if (N) trains bypassed the stop, towers would have to deal with two interlockings instead of one, and all that switching to bypass one stop could delay (D) trains.