SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EVIDENCE OF OLD R46 PRE-GOH NUMBERING IN CAR 5495

Posted by Union Tpke on Wed Feb 11 18:56:02 2015

IN CAR 5495 THERE IS THE RESIDUE OF THE STICKER THAT SHOWED IT WAS CAR 1027.

ALSO UNDER THE CAR EVACUTION STICKER YOU CAN SEE THE OLD CAR. 

Where in the car? If you've got any pictures, I'd love to see, as I didn't know any R46s kept traces of that.

I don't understand why some more (4)'s cant go to New Lots.There is a switch right after Utica.The only merging problem would be the (3).The best thing though would be yes build another merge track at Utica.

There used to be a switch s/b before Utica Avenue to do exactly what some of you are proposing. It was removed because the New Lots line didn't need the switches at both ends of the station. Why pay to maintain 2 sets of switches to route trains toward New Lots ? The extra service out there is not warranted at this time.  What you seem to be proposing is a plan to speed up the (4) between Franklin and Utica at the expense of New Lots riders.The (4) and (5) don't need any more service to New Lots which would screw up the existing (3) line.I think the same reasoning was used when the switches were removed between Borough Hall and Hoyt Street which connected the Lexington and 7th Avenue lines. More switches= more potential problems seems to be their reasoning. Think about the Freeman Street interlocking for example. G-O-N-E. Poof.  Remember In Transitland it always boils down to cost. I've read some proposals on this forum that seem well thought out and logical, threads that garner a lot of support from other posters, but only a few people realize that the proposals are DOA if only because of cost. The (MTA) is broke and if the politicians give them any more money the SAS and ESA are bigger photo ops than a switch or 2 out in the boonies. Carry on.

There used to be a switch s/b before Utica Avenue to do exactly what some of you are proposing. It was removed because the New Lots line didn't need the switches at both ends of the station. Why pay to maintain 2 sets of switches to route trains toward New Lots ? The extra service out there is not warranted at this time.  What you seem to be proposing is a plan to speed up the (4) between Franklin and Utica at the expense of New Lots riders.The (4) and (5) don't need any more service to New Lots which would screw up the existing (3) line.I think the same reasoning was used when the switches were removed between Borough Hall and Hoyt Street which connected the Lexington and 7th Avenue lines. More switches= more potential problems seems to be their reasoning. Think about the Freeman Street interlocking for example. G-O-N-E. Poof.  Remember In Transitland it always boils down to cost. I've read some proposals on this forum that seem well thought out and logical, threads that garner a lot of support from other posters, but only a few people realize that the proposals are DOA if only because of cost. The (MTA) is broke and if the politicians give them any more money the SAS and ESA are bigger photo ops than a switch or 2 out in the boonies. Carry on.

With the way the IRT lines gets hammered, less switches increase reliability.

IMHO, the greatest thing about the (A) / (C) summer swap was that it made the latter a full-length 600 feet unit train like almost all the other IND & BMT B Division routes (aside from the (G), (J), (L), and (M)) while it made the former decrease dwell times due to more doors on the 60 feet cars than on the 75 feet cars and having a better RFW on the full version of the (A) instead of the shorten version of it. The aforementioned swap will forever remain in my dreams.

Why does the (C) need to be 600 ft when most of the customers just ride in the south car as it is?

So? All the other supplemental part-time lines don't even have much ridership either. Are you going to say that they need to be shorter length too? In that case, how about we just revert the (3) back to 9-cars permanently (which I certainly don't see happening at all)? Or, how about we just slash the (R) 's headway from 10 minutes to 20-25 minutes so that way it's no longer delayed by the other three lines that it interacts with as well as its long local run?

It's really annoying to see the (C) stopping all the way at the front in both directions at Clinton-Washington Avenues and people from the other end at the northbound side have to make a mad dash for it, which happens at almost every other local station on 8th Avenue/Fulton Street, but not just at one end, but at BOTH ends too. That's specifically the case during rush hours and occasionally during the off-peak, especially during events at Central Park West or Barclays Center. With the (C) being entirely R46s year round, you don't even have to use any of the equipment from Concourse for that purpose. This is why I believe that they should have kept a bit more R32s and why I believe that the (A) needs the R32s more than the (C) does, mainly because of rush hour/weekend crowding (and sometimes at nights too) and the R46s can cause longer dwell times at times during the hours that the (A) is busy.

Edited by RollOver

As I've said time and again, hindsight is always 20/20. When the 44s structural deficiencies manifested themselves, most of the 32s and 42s were already retired and being stripped of parts. If everything had gone according to plan, some of the currently remaining 32s would've likely gone to the J-line when the M was routed up 6th Ave in 2010. The 44s would've went to the C, which would have made the line full length.

Alas, C riders will have to deal with the mad dash for a while longer. If the 179s were ordered in mostly 10-car sets, they wouldn't be able to increase service on the C-line. They can remedy this with the 211 order, and shift the 179s over to another line.

In the meantime, the MTA can take the same approach they did with the G-line and mark where C trains stop at stations.

As I've said time and again, hindsight is always 20/20. When the 44s structural deficiencies manifested themselves, most of the 32s and 42s were already retired and being stripped of parts. If everything had gone according to plan, some of the currently remaining 32s would've likely gone to the J-line when the M was routed up 6th Ave in 2010. The 44s would've went to the C, which would have made the line full length.

Alas, C riders will have to deal with the mad dash for a while longer. If the 179s were ordered in mostly 10-car sets, they wouldn't be able to increase service on the C-line. They can remedy this with the 211 order, and shift the 179s over to another line.

In the meantime, the MTA can take the same approach they did with the G-line and mark where C trains stop at stations.

The shorten (A) doesn't even need more service. A full-length train/long headway=much cheaper than a shorter train/short headway. Why would it need more service when there's already the full (A) as well as the (B), (E) and B25 bus? Just why? I seriously hate this plan that the (MTA) will be doing all along. With a full-length train on the local all year round, riders no longer have to run for it and any possible crowding would be greatly eased. Hence why I suggest all the things I previously did for the (A) / (C) here in this thread and a past couple of threads. I just hope years later, the (MTA) has enough funding to buy ten-car sets for the local (or better yet, the more busier express) so that way, they realize there wouldn't be a need a boost in local service on the Fulton Street Line in Brooklyn after all. Man.

I know that. I was referring to the part where the (A) can get just as crowded compared to the (E) and (F) during rush hours and weekends, which is why I suggested that it should also have 60 footers as well. Not to mention that the (A) roughly has the same headways like the (E) and (F) both do (surprise, surprise...).

I know that. I was referring to the part where the (A) can get just as crowded compared to the (E) and (F) during rush hours and weekends, which is why I suggested that it should also have 60 footers as well. Not to mention that the (A) roughly has the same headways like the (E) and (F) both do (surprise, surprise...).

Why does the A have 2 branches and why aren't they just given different letter designations. (A) to Lefferts (K) to Far RocKaway.

Why does the A have 2 branches and why aren't they just given different letter designations. (A) to Lefferts (K) to Far RocKaway.

It's just an arbitrary decision. There's no good reason to make it the same letter given that we're not short on letters, and the point of having different letters is to differentiate routes that run along different lines. The (5), for example, should really have a different designation when running to Gun Hill Road or Nereid Avenue–238 Street (such as <5>).