SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

What is the purpose of the (Z) if the (J) runs skip stop service as well? I would just relabel all skip stop service as the (Z) and call it a day because its confusing to riders if they got on the (J) and thought it was local.

The subway also has this rule where certain routes such as the (R) and (B) don't serve the stations 24/7 and they could skip the station according to the individual schedules. I have only seen that practiced once on the (R) train where it skipped one of the stops on Queens Blvd a long time ago. There was no work going on but it skipped the station so does anyone know what the purpose if that rule was.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the purpose of the (Z) if the (J) runs skip stop service as well? I would just relabel all skip stop service as the (Z) and call it a day because its confusing to riders if they got on the (J) and thought it was local.

The subway also has this rule where certain routes such as the (R) and (B) don't serve the stations 24/7 and they could skip the station according to the individual schedules. I have only seen that practiced once on the (R) train where it skipped one of the stops on Queens Blvd a long time ago. There was no work going on but it skipped the station so does anyone know what the purpose if that rule was.

If all service is renamed the (Z), it would be more confusing because which (Z) is going to which stop?

Also, if a local gets too delayed, it may result in some stops being skipped, especially during rush hours (like the uptown (6) nonstop from 96 Street to 125 Street and the downtown (6) from 14 Street to City Hall, stopping at Bleecker Street).

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Oh lord not again...

Keep us updated itmaybeokay.

Question:

When New South Ferry will be reopened and the loop closes again, will (5) trains use both tracks at the loop or just the inner track?

I ask this because maybe the (MTA) can save money and open the Loop station for the (5) train for days when it terminates at Bowling Green while the (1) is rerouted to the new station. Think about it, if the (5) we're to have South Ferry as it's terminal the same way (2) trains go via Bowling Green, the money wouldn't be wasted on both the new station and the old station. The (1) wouldn't be interrupted, the (5) would be extended giving Lex riders direct access to South Ferry.

Oh lord not again...

Keep us updated itmaybeokay.

Question:

When New South Ferry will be reopened and the loop closes again, will (5) trains use both tracks at the loop or just the inner track?

I ask this because maybe the (MTA) can save money and open the Loop station for the (5) train for days when it terminates at Bowling Green while the (1) is rerouted to the new station. Think about it, if the (5) we're to have South Ferry as it's terminal the same way (2) trains go via Bowling Green, the money wouldn't be wasted on both the new station and the old station. The (1) wouldn't be interrupted, the (5) would be extended giving Lex riders direct access to South Ferry.

Bowling Green and South Ferry isn't far from each other It's just a 2 block walk. Once the new South Ferry opens there is no point in the South Ferry loop since the reason why the loop was discontinued in the first place was to have all 10 cars serve the station instead of the first 5 cars. The loop might be used for storage whenever the (5) terminates at Bowling Green.

I know that, but the point of reopening the loop was to restore service, am I correct?

The MTA had few choices but to open the loop station. Keep in mind that the new station was built because the loop was inadequate. You'd have to train (5) conductors how to open the first 5 doors of the train. I don't know whether the trains are capable of that, but you have three things to deal with:

• Making sure all trains support the 5-car platform.
  • Making sure all (5) conductors and operators are trained regarding the South Ferry loop.
  • Maintaining the loop (which is an ongoing cost).

The MTA would be better off closing the loop. 5-car platforms are a dying breed. The only one left will be on 145 Street and for the (3).

The MTA would be better off closing the loop. 5-car platforms are a dying breed. The only one left will be on 145 Street and for the (3).

Speaking of which, idk why the MTA doesn't extend the 145th St station. There is enough space north and south of the station to extend the station. Maybe it's just laziness or financial problems.

Speaking of which, idk why the MTA doesn't extend the 145th St station. There is enough space north and south of the station to extend the station. Maybe it's just laziness or financial problems.

I don't think it's bog enough due to both the WPR junction and the Lenox yard open cut section.

The crossover north of the station, and the junction with the (2) south of the station prevents any extension in either direction.

I'm pretty sure they would've extended it decades ago

I know that there are junctions north/south of the station, but all 10 cars clears the junction to the south if i'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) and the crossover is not immediately north of the station. It's an S curve than the crossover. Maybe it's just me but I think there is enough space.

I know that there are junctions north/south of the station, but all 10 cars clears the junction to the south if i'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) and the crossover is not immediately north of the station. It's an S curve than the crossover. Maybe it's just me but I think there is enough space.

No, it's just you.

I had a bit of a crazy commute coming home from work tonight:

I from the Airtrain at Jamaica into the subway to catch the (J) only to find out there service was suspended due to a frozen rail or something of that matter. Upon hearing that, I went back up to the LIRR mezzanine and luckily there was a train going towards Atlantic Av for which I had to wait only about eight minutes. Rode it to East New York, walked to Broadway Junction and took the Q56 home. Commute time was only 30 minutes in total.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

That station should have been closed down a long time ago, but the community didn't like that, despite the fact that 148th is three blocks away.

That station should have been closed down a long time ago, but the community didn't like that, despite the fact that 148th is three blocks away.

The terminal has one exit and it's all the way at the western end of the platform. It's much further than 145 Street. They should extend a few more exits out to the east and then close 145 Street.

Wow...Didn't hear about that....Hopefully No one got hurt....

It was, quote, a "non passenger train".

Upon further investigation

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx-subway-train-derails-lexington-ave-delays-article-1.2127151#bmb=1

Snowbird wouldn't move in the morning and when they tried to tow it, it derailed. I bet there was ice on the track (even underground, from a drip?)

Edited by itmaybeokay

It was, quote, a "non passenger train".

Upon further investigation

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx-subway-train-derails-lexington-ave-delays-article-1.2127151#bmb=1

Snowbird wouldn't move in the morning and when they tried to tow it, it derailed. I bet there was ice on the track (even underground, from a drip?)

Yup. Proves that sometimes, storing trains underground is a bad thing. Were they R142A or R62A?

Edited by MTA Dude