SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The terminal has one exit and it's all the way at the western end of the platform. It's much further than 145 Street. They should extend a few more exits out to the east and then close 145 Street.

The problem at the eastern end of the terminal is that there is no direct access to the street ( Lenox Avenue ). The two station tracks head east past the crew quarters before turning southward under Lenox Avenue. South of those tracks ,IIRC, is a parking lot and a stockroom for the heating/ac department. The existing station and yard trackage are under a housing development so if any entrance/exit were to be constructed at the eastern end of the station it would have to go up and cross onto private property and then down to reach street level. At that rate the short 145th St station would appear to be the cheaper option in the long run. As you have correctly pointed out out the exits for 145th St and 148th St are nowhere near each other and riders don't use them in an either/or situation. It's one or the other. To those who suggest extending 145th St further north I'd point out that the existing station platform is the last part of level ground before the trackage curves upward and begins it's ascent slightly east before the station tracks bear sharply to the west at the entrance to the Lenox Yard. Any extension to the south would be costly and time consuming judging by the construction done from 110th St up to 145th St. It's my guess that the 145th St station remains open because the street is a somewhat commercial location and another gateway to the Bronx for buses and auto traffic. FWIW it's also next to the MCH bus depot. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the (4) G/O stating no trains between Brooklyn Bridge and New Lots Av, Im just wondering: whatever happened with the (J) running from Essex St and to Prospect Park (Q)?

ENY, Brownsville, Crown Hts, and Flatbush residents can just stay on the (2)(3) if they're going to Downtown Brooklyn or Lower Manhattan. If they need a faster ride to Canal St, Union Sq or 59/Lex (or to get to the (4)(6) for further uptown to the upper east side), they can transfer to the (N)(Q) at Atlantic (or the (D) if they need to get to Bleecker St/B'way Lafayette or the Concourse Line, which is nearby from the Jerome Line in the Bronx). There was no need for that useless (J) shuttle at all.

Edited by RollOver

The E/F absolutely haul ass between Roosevelt and Queensbridge or Queens Plaza. I rarely travel out that way, but I have to say, that's a super smooth and fast ride. Whatever the MTA did there, they need to do everywhere. Judging by that sound, seems like the heavier rail is installed there, too.

I've got a sort of "toolbox" in the works. It's a set of specifications and mix-and-match pre-designed parts consisting mostly of switch diagrams I've clobbered together from technical documents. Basically, they're meant to be laid on top of an accurately-scaled map and connected to make rail layouts. They're sort of like the one you find here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/45995-line-and-junction-designs-raising-transit-efficiency/. But the new ones I'm designing are to-scale and take into account factors such as train velocity, acceleration, and centrifugal forces. Those previous junction designs I posted that looked manageable now appear to require several miles to implement owing to the use of #24 switches for 60 mph passenger operation. You never find these among subways with densely-clustered stations simply because these switches are longer than the platforms themselves.

Well, looks like for a triple-tracked terminal to triple-tracked line design, it'll be at least around 1 mile between the terminal and the first station along the line. In comparison, the gap between Main Street and Willets Point on the Flushing line is only 0.66 miles. The diagram below is as to-scale as I can make it. It's the size you'd get if you plopped it on Google Maps' satellite view.

3_Track_Terminal_to_3_track_Line.png

Trains are assumed to be just under 10-feet wide. The tracks are 5-feet apart minimum. All of the switches are #20 switches (appropriate for 50-mph traversal). The grade is 2.5% on ramps. Platforms are a minimum 20-feet wide and 640-feet long.

The tracks are arranged such that there are no grade changes or curves on the auxiliary/express track. The outer two tracks from the terminal are connected to the auxiliary/express track in such a way that there is only one switch to curve through so any train that's destined to run express has nearly zero resistance from curves and grade changes. But the feature of this design is that trains simply do not block each other when approaching or leaving the terminal unless the terminal is already full; in such a case, the terminal could be cleared quite quickly.

Edited by CenSin

Today I tooke the R to school and avoided the transferring fiasco at Atlantic-Barclays especially today with all the delays in the AM. I realize that this is a better way to get to Manhattan every day than schlepping through Atlantic before standing in a crowded train, highly recommend

Actually, you missed the free seats. The (3) I got on was 75 percent empty.

I realize the (R) is an option, but the schlepp from B'way to the West B'way kills any time savings.

I was on the (A) going home in Far Rockaway and at 88 St Boyd Av, I saw writings on that big black box that was on the platform. Just can't believe that the (MTA) spend millions to renovate stations and yet, those dam high school kids write on the walls with permanent markers and the (MTA) has to paint over it.

LMAO, they even have the Conductor zebra board!

What's impressive about the zebra board is just as you might have boards that say R-42 or R-160 for different types of equipment, theirs says A321 - a nod to the Airbus A321 they usually operate. 

Of course, one hopes the pilot doesnt pull the nose into the middle of the terminal to point at the board....

What's impressive about the zebra board is just as you might have boards that say R-42 or R-160 for different types of equipment, theirs says A321 - a nod to the Airbus A321 they usually operate. 

Of course, one hopes the pilot doesnt pull the nose into the middle of the terminal to point at the board....

It also says A320 on the opposite end of the zebra board. That zebra board was a nice touch though LOL.

I was watching Law and order: special victims unit. The episode was called Manhattan vigil. I noticed that there was an unsolved case of a missing child, and 13 years later, a kid gets lost in a crowd at 110 Street (which looks similar to 96 street for a sec, but we all know the real station) in car 1936 (mad I caught the number) on a R62A (B) train. Makes me wonder how most parents are able to keep their children safe in a subway system like this.

I was watching Law and order: special victims unit. The episode was called Manhattan vigil. I noticed that there was an unsolved case of a missing child, and 13 years later, a kid gets lost in a crowd at 110 Street (which looks similar to 96 street for a sec, but we all know the real station) in car 1936 (mad I caught the number) on a R62A (B) train. Makes me wonder how most parents are able to keep their children safe in a subway system like this.

You know what, I was watching GOTHAM and one of the scenes I saw was an R68 (D) covered with graffiti. I was enjoy watching SVU. I notice a R160 in the background with a cast member name Peter Scanavino in the foreground during the theme song.

Law%20and%20order%20svu%20peter%20scanav

You know what, I was watching GOTHAM and one of the scenes I saw was an R68 (D) covered with graffiti. I was enjoy watching SVU. I notice a R160 in the background with a cast member name Peter Scanavino in the foreground during the theme song.

Law%20and%20order%20svu%20peter%20scanav

That's either 1 or 3 Av on the (L) and more than likely thats a R143

That's either 1 or 3 Av on the (L) and more than likely thats a R143

Well this is one of the avenues, but there is a small chance it is an R160. I agree on that it could be an R143, but I'm not choosing a side since I didn't film this car (or watch this scene carefully). Edited by MysteriousBtrain

My (6) was rerouted on the express 14-125 this morning. An R62A, feels like te 90s.

I remember when I got nearly the same exact route and car as your trip. I felt very lucky. Running express downtown from 125 Street to 14 street, then after 14 street, the stop I needed, Bleecker Street, was where it stopped before it ran nonstop to the last stop, Brooklyn Bridge.