SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was at Times Square-42 Street last night and I saw this (actually I heard it first) attached to the ceiling. It was making a whirring sound. Would I be correct to assume it is a countdown clock?

this is a countdown clock but based on a different technology

I rode a 62A on the (6) today, car had a broken A/C, took the shuttle over to the (1) and got on an R62A that also had a broken A/C  :lol:  ... that set on the (1) line had TWO hot cars on the same train!

They should really consider a summer swap where the 62As go on the (2) , (4) & (5) lines during the summer time... 

Last summer I was on a 62A on the (6) where the car was hot and the A/C magically started working again once the train was out on the EL. The express runs + the long outdoor runs in the Bronx the 62As shouldn't have any A/C issues if they ran on the 2/4/5 during the summer.

As for Flatbush terminal swaps... they swap 32 (Z)'s into (J)'s all the time at Parsons, so swapping again with SMEE cars shouldn't be no big deal, also they could modify the 62A's route bullets to have something like the redbirds had...

http://www.orenstransitpage.com/otpnycpics/redbird41.jpg

I rode a 62A on the (6) today, car had a broken A/C, took the shuttle over to the (1) and got on an R62A that also had a broken A/C :lol: ... that set on the (1) line had TWO hot cars on the same train!

They should really consider a summer swap where the 62As go on the (2) , (4) & (5) lines during the summer time...

Last summer I was on a 62A on the (6) where the car was hot and the A/C magically started working again once the train was out on the EL. The express runs + the long outdoor runs in the Bronx the 62As shouldn't have any A/C issues if they ran on the 2/4/5 during the summer.

As for Flatbush terminal swaps... they swap 32 (Z)'s into (J)'s all the time at Parsons, so swapping again with SMEE cars shouldn't be no big deal, also they could modify the 62A's route bullets to have something like the redbirds had...

The A/C issue on the R62As has become absolutely ridiculous. I dont care hit or miss, already this summer I've been on countless sets on both the (1) & (6) lines were the air conditioner wasn't working, a few of them with 3 cars combined without A/C.

A summer swap is not a bad idea at this point like having some of the R62As run on the (4) since is express. On the contrary I've been on Kawasaki R62 (3) trains that felt like ice box so I give props to the (3) line crews for sending those trains out with some decent working A/C.

Edited by jon2305

this is a countdown clock but based on a different technology

Would I be correct in assuming it's similar to the ones at Coney Island? That's what I first thought of when I saw it.

Oh, and do you have any idea when they'll turn it on?

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Would I be correct in assuming it's similar to the ones at Coney Island? That's what I first thought of when I saw it.

Oh, and do you have any idea when they'll turn it on?

This is not based on track circuit data (like the A division clocks), nor is it based on the technology used at Coney Island. Totally different technology that I can't go in to much detail about. Not sure when they'll go online.

Today I rode the Culver line for the first since they started the station rehab and was lucky enough to get a R46 :D cool riding them on the express....

Also there was TWO 68 (N) trains out today, back to back...

I think that's a sign that more trains are being repaired than can be in service. There's only about 6K of subway cars.

And NYC transit transports millions of people every day. There's an impending breaking point in all of this...

The delay of the capital plan has put the R193 & R211 orders on the holding block...

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I rode a 62A on the (6) today, car had a broken A/C, took the shuttle over to the (1) and got on an R62A that also had a broken A/C [emoji38] ... that set on the (1) line had TWO hot cars on the same train!

Sometimes cars get hotter if the windows are opened. Forced air convection causes the AC to be counterproductive.

What up with the F train to Coney Island Saturday afternoon?

I was at Penn Station on the A train going toward Jay street. I want to take the F because of the express service to coney Island. Believe me, i made a mistake here that you don't need to tell me about. Anyway as i was at Jay Street, a C and another A train came thru but no F. I waited 30 minutes for the F train. After it finally came we sped to 4 th Ave then local to 18 ave. We then sped to King Highway  and crawl to switch over at Ave X. Then normal to Coney Island. 

I think that's a sign that more trains are being repaired than can be in service. There's only about 6K of subway cars.

And NYC transit transports millions of people every day. There's an impending breaking point in all of this...

The delay of the capital plan has put the R193 & R211 orders on the holding block...

Sometimes cars get hotter if the windows are opened. Forced air convection causes the AC to be counterproductive.

First things first: The (F) is scheduled to run 4 or 5 R46s a day in addition to R160s. Also, because of how Jamaica stores trains on weekends, operators take the first train available which can lead to some unintentional F and R train swaps. This has nothing to with how many cars are getting repaired.

Second, the delay in the capital program(which was approved in late May) did not delay the R211 order. It was always scheduled for award in 2016-17.

Third, there is no R193. (At least not a revenue car. There may be a work train with that number)

The one thing you are on the money about is the open windows.

I rode a 62A on the (6) today, car had a broken A/C, took the shuttle over to the (1) and got on an R62A that also had a broken A/C  :lol:  ... that set on the (1) line had TWO hot cars on the same train!

The (J) and (Z) is not a good example because they're basically the same route unlike the (2)(5) 

And keep in mind the (2)(5) swap at Flatbush sometimes happens in the spur of the moment so of they wouldn't have time to change all of the rollsigns that fast.

The (J) and (Z) is not a good example because they're basically the same route unlike the (2)(5)

And keep in mind the (2)(5) swap at Flatbush sometimes happens in the spur of the moment so of they wouldn't have time to change all of the rollsigns that fast.

Tell me about it! I was riding how from my graduation at Brooklyn College. There were two (2)s in the station but the schedule called for a (5) to leave in 1 minute. In the time took me to go around the other side, they changed the signs and were already playing the "stand clear of the closing doors" announcement.