SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this route seem logical to you?

<image removed>

I think the computer system is designed to give one outlandish route for every directions request. It does the same thing on the On the Go displays. They'll give you two good routes and the third will likely be some random roundabout route.

I love how the transfers on the new (2) & (5) strip map are all in Standard-Medium...

Technically, the route bullets with the exception of the (9), (J) and (Z) should always be in Standard/Akzidenz-Grotesk as that's how they were registered many moons ago.

I want to ask something

Why was the (A) train stop changed at 207 Street from Washington Heights to Inwood?

Probably because 207 Street isn't in Washington Heights.

Going to correct a couple things

The (D) Train was cut from Brooklyn during Middays and Weekends from April to November of 1995 due to Bridge work with the (Q) Trains replacing it running to 21st Street.

The (N) went 4th Local on Weekday evenings/nights/weekends up until 2002.

From 1993-1995 the (N) went to 86th Street only due to some work at Coney Island

After 1994 the (N) went back to express along 4 Av during all times except late nights. You probably talking about 1961 service. The rush hour local service was always provided by the  (brownM) up until 2010 

On April 13, 1986 when the Manhattan Bridge project began on 6 Av side, did the  (brownM) have 3 terminals (Bay Ridge 95 St , 9 Av, and Bay Parkway?) And why did the MTA route the  (brownM) away from Brighton Line? 

I love how the transfers on the new (2) & (5) strip map are all in Standard-Medium...

The (2)(5) strip maps together looks bad. The local stops on the (2) is missing. The lex line is on far left of the map while 7 Av is on far right. The map makes you look like your eyes are going all over the place. 

Yeah, but they couldn't get their act together to put the main bullet in Standard... Those little inconsistencies are so annoying to my eyes.

Technically, the route bullets with the exception of the (9), (J) and (Z) should always be in Standard/Akzidenz-Grotesk as that's how they were registered many moons ago.

And the (Q), depending on which standards manual you follow!

The (2)(5) strip maps together looks bad. The local stops on the (2) is missing. The lex line is on far left of the map while 7 Av is on far right. The map makes you look like your eyes are going all over the place.

The (2) strip maps never showed the local stops along 7 Av, it would be too many dots to show.

Random historical question... any reason why Jay Street-MetroTech on the (R) (formerly Lawrence Street) has no trackside tile? It's out of the Dual Contracts style to neglect this and there's no real documentation on why this station got passed over. It's especially weird when the mezzanine is completely tiled.

After 1994 the (N) went back to express along 4 Av during all times except late nights. You probably talking about 1961 service. The rush hour local service was always provided by the  (brownM) up until 2010 

No I'm not. From 1994 up until 2002, Evening/Late Nights/Weekends it ran local in Brooklyn. I remember that clearly because I've ridden the that line before at the time (Beginning of 1999) and the old 1998 map for example even says it.

Here, the 2000 (N) Schedule says otherwise

http://web.archive.org/web/20000919160736/http://www.lirr.org/nyct/service/pdf/tncur.pdf

Edited by Daniel The Cool

No I'm not. From 1994 up until 2002, Evening/Late Nights/Weekends it ran local in Brooklyn. I remember that clearly because I've ridden the that line before at the time (Beginning of 1999) and the old 1998 map for example even says it.

Here, the 2000 (N) Schedule says otherwise

http://web.archive.org/web/20000919160736/http://www.lirr.org/nyct/service/pdf/tncur.pdf

The time schedule does not show the (N) running local along 4 Av on the Weekends. 

I'm looking at a scan of the 1997 map and the service guide lists the (N) as a 4th Avenue local during off-hours (evenings, late nights and weekends).

EDIT: After reviewing the early '94 and 2000 maps, I can concur that the (N) did run local on 4th Avenue during off-hours. Prior to 1994, the (N) was a full local at all times. It wouldn't be until the  (brownM) got booted off the express tracks that the (N) would get some semblance of express service that hadn't been seen since '86.

Edited by Lance

Random historical question... any reason why Jay Street-MetroTech on the (R) (formerly Lawrence Street) has no trackside tile? It's out of the Dual Contracts style to neglect this and there's no real documentation on why this station got passed over. It's especially weird when the mezzanine is completely tiled.

Also, the same could be asked for Grand Central on the (7) and Lexington Avenue 53 Street on the (E)(M) .

I'm looking at a scan of the 1997 map and the service guide lists the (N) as a 4th Avenue local during off-hours (evenings, late nights and weekends).

EDIT: After reviewing the early '94 and 2000 maps, I can concur that the (N) did run local on 4th Avenue during off-hours. Prior to 1994, the (N) was a full local at all times. It wouldn't be until the  (brownM) got booted off the express tracks that the (N) would get some semblance of express service that hadn't been seen since '86.

Yeah I remember the (N) was a strange bird back in those days- heck, I even remember seeing an R46 show up on that line once in the late '90s.

Also, I just realized I've never seen a station musician at any of the elevated lines- anyone else notice this?

Yeah I remember the (N) was a strange bird back in those days- heck, I even remember seeing an R46 show up on that line once in the late '90s.

Also, I just realized I've never seen a station musician at any of the elevated lines- anyone else notice this?

The (N) stopped using R46 after May 1987. If you caught R46 on the (N) that was probably a routed (R)

The (N) stopped using R46 after May 1987. If you caught R46 on the (N) that was probably a routed (R)

Nope there was an R46 (N) in 1990s. There was a picture of it off an railfan site (Don't think its there anymore)

And keep in mind, just because a line is not assigned to a certain subway car, doesn't mean they haven't used it for an occasion if needed

It totally made sense for the MTA to send a (G) train ahead of a Kings Highway–bound (F) with a Coney Island–bound (F) right behind it. /s

That Coney Island–bound (F) didn’t skip Bergen, Carroll, and Smith Streets. Guess what the delay amounted to after all the waiting?