SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Her voice just sounds so calm and relaxing, I wish they would've kept her voice

For a calm and relaxing voice, they should've used Annie Bergen from the (7) and 42 St (S) trains (and the R110A I'm pretty sure)...At least she sounds like she's giving an official announcement, not just mumbling the words like Melissa Kleiner. That's just my opinion.

Or they should've just told Jessica to calm down :lol: ! She sounds pretty calm on the (6).

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a calm and relaxing voice, they should've used Annie Bergen from the (7) and 42 St (S) trains (and the R110A I'm pretty sure)...At least she sounds like she's giving an official announcement, not just mumbling the words like Melissa Kleiner. That's just my opinion.

Or they should've just told Jessica to calm down :lol: ! She sounds pretty calm on the (6).

You think she calm on the (6)? Listen to her say Whitlock Av, and listen to her say Church Av. Sound like she hype for no reason lol

I'll be raising Melissa Kleiner from the dead with this upcoming GO on the 5 next week!

And whoa, I never knew about that "unavoidable delay" canned message. I also really miss the "Please be considerate. On crowded trains, hold onto your backpack and move to the middle of the car", which I used to use all the time on the 6. It got replaced with the Fastrack description message.

Two things:

1) They still have MK's recordings in the computers? Seems like a waste of space to me.

2) They really need to bring that "courtesy concerning backpacks" PSA and update it to include something about not leaving strollers, carts and bicycles in the doorways.

1. There are still elements of old program audio left behind on routes that don't often get used. The old E'Chester spelling still exists on some rarely used programs too.

2, The announcement got deleted completely, replaced by the very long Fastrack description announcement. That was one of my favorite announcements to play with the doors open at crowded stations too.....

A quick question for all the IRT crew members out here. I've seen numerous posts in the subway threads about a (to me) mythical place in Brooklyn called "Rogers Junction". Has the name of the junction between the Eastern Parkway Line and the Nostrand Avenue Line been officially re-named by RTO? I just talked to some friends in Utica tower and in the course of 20 minutes I've heard it called "the junction" and " Nostrand Junction" which was the official name since it was constructed. In all my years in RTO I've never heard it called " Rogers Junction" informally or in any official report so is this the new name or something dreamed up by railfans? Just wondering. Carry on.

So..is that BMT junction between DeKalb Ave and the Manhattan Bridge known as Gold St Junction, DeKalb Junction, or something else?

Is the junction for the (2)(3) in Harlem known as 142 St Junction or something else?

What is the name of the (4)(5) junction between 149-GC and 138-GC, if it has one?

Also does anybody know if the (B)(D) junction outside 59-CC is called 56 St Junction, if it has a widely-known name?

If you are saying now that the junction on the Brooklyn IRT is called Nostrand and not Rogers, that is a big revelation to me. Is the junction closer to Rogers Ave or Nostrand Ave?

So..is that BMT junction between DeKalb Ave and the Manhattan Bridge known as Gold St Junction, DeKalb Junction, or something else?

Is the junction for the (2)(3) in Harlem known as 142 St Junction or something else?

What is the name of the (4)(5) junction between 149-GC and 138-GC, if it has one?

Also does anybody know if the (B)(D) junction outside 59-CC is called 56 St Junction, if it has a widely-known name?

If you are saying now that the junction on the Brooklyn IRT is called Nostrand and not Rogers, that is a big revelation to me. Is the junction closer to Rogers Ave or Nostrand Ave?

I've seen the terms " Gold St Interlocking", "142nd St Junction" on official documents which is the point I was getting at. In the IRT, for example, I"ve never seen an official document naming the junction between 1 track, GCS and 1 track Lexington Ave. It's called the "shuttle spur" by RTO although it may have another name to those in the engineering department. Similarly the diversion north of 125 St-Lex toward Pelham or Jerome is commonly to as a "split" rather than anything else although when work trains wrong rail through the area it's known as "making a 5-11" move over the junction between the Lex and Pelham Lines in reference to the switch numbers the trains use. Finally ,although the physical plant at the Brooklyn junction I mentioned may start closer to Rogers Avenue s/b it starts and ends at Nostrand Ave just north of President St on the Nostrand Ave Line. FYI the signal plates and survey markers reflect just that. Take it from one who has laid up snowbirds on 3 track at Nostrand Ave on the Eastern Parkway Line, been in the tower trackside at the old Nostrand tower at the junction before it was demolished, laid the cable for the present Utica tower/Junction signals connection and been in the tower at the south end of Presiident St while it was in operation the name was/is Nostrand Junction. I just brought up the terminology for the "real" rail buffs who want to be "in the know". Carry on.

If any of you guys are interested, I've been thinking about how many times trains have to merge with other lines:

(A): 3 merges

(B): 3 merges

(C): 2 merges

(D): 3 merges

(E): 3 merges

(F): 3 merges

(G): 1 merge

(J)(Z): 1 merge

(L): 0 merges

(M): 4 merges

(N): 3 merges

(Q): 3 merges

(R): 3 merges

(1): 0 merges

(2): 4 merges

(3): 2 merges

(4): 1 merge

(5): 5 merges

(6): 1 merge

(7): 1 merge

It's interesting to see how this corresponds to on-time performance data...(This is based on rush-hour schedules. If I made a mistake, let me know.)

Edited by TheSubwayStation

All of the 142's which have Atlantic-Barclays also have the uptown Bleecker transfer announcement. We have been instructed to censor out that announcement until the transfer actually opens. They do not have the M34 announcement, and there's really no reason to.....

Edited by Snowblock

It's not about changing the strip maps. They're just big plastic cards, so changing them all the time would be tedious and inefficient. The route run is based on the computer, which is unrelated to the strip map. The (2) and (5) routes switch cars at Flatbush Av all the time as the schedule demands.

I'm talking about an announcement for the M34 at 34th St. And stickers on the strip maps showing it. It's not that important, but it was done for the Bx12, and they should have foresaw SBS routes being added every now and then connecting with the subway necessitating announcement updates, if the MTA didn't want to have to be bothered with updating the subway routes all the time they might as well have just left out the SBS routes to begin with.

The MTA was going crazy promoting the Bx12 SBS when it first started, as it was the first SBS route. They got a little TOO carried away IMO, and started adding it all over the subway as if it was a subway transfer (or the Silver Lie). What's next, adding a S79 SBS announcement at 86/4?

Technically they should have announcements for any SBS line and any bus line going to an airport

Now for my opinions:

I think the 34 is crap, but it still has off-board fare collection; I am undecided as to whether it should be announced

The 15 is decent, kinda sucky on 2nd Ave but good on 1st and they have announcements for it, this is appropriate IMO

The 79 is fake SBS and should not have even been labeled as SBS to begin with; I would not agree with it being announced

The MTA was going crazy promoting the Bx12 SBS when it first started, as it was the first SBS route. They got a little TOO carried away IMO, and started adding it all over the subway as if it was a subway transfer (or the Silver Lie). What's next, adding a S79 SBS announcement at 86/4?

Well the (L) announces the M15 at 1 Av (although the sticker is not in the strip maps), and the (F) announces it at 2 Av. I don't see why the (2), (E), (F), (N), and (Q) dont announce the M34/A at Penn Station/Herald Sq.

I'm on the fence about the (6) announcing it at 33 St since the bus itself is a block away

Edited by Fresh Pond

Technically why? What are your rules for what should and shouldn't be announced?

The 3's strip maps actually lists connections to the airports at TImes Square too. Is that technically correct? How about listing transfers to the ACE at 34 St?

I have a low opinion of the 34 and 79 SBS; this is why I do not feel 100% about them being announced

For your other questions I would say it is case-by-case; no need to tell the people they can go to the IND at Penn Sta if it is a long block away and the connection can just be made at TSQ

nycsubway.org has recieved a bit off a face lift. This is what it says on the front page:

Welcome to the new "wiki-ized" version of the nycsubway.org home page. From feedback I have received, the new styling of the site seems to be well-received. I hope you all like it. There's still a few more articles that have to be converted but that process is almost complete.

I will also use this blog to mention interesting subway-related news items. For instance, this recent story in the
New York Times
:
, a retrospective of the 1972 subway map designed by Massimo Vignelli.

Hello, this new blog pane on the home page will replace the infrequently updated "What's New" and "Upcoming Events" panes on the former non-wiki home page.

This is the first blog entry on the nycsubway.org blog.