SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another question: how come the (MTA) doesn't shorten platforms on the (G) already to at least 6- car length? I see so many out-of-towers running when the trains zooms right by them or stops short. Is it because of the occasional F reroute, or does the (MTA) think that Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc.'s population will one day call for a lengthening?

Definitely the (F) reroutes.

Question: do the (4) trains that terminate at Burnside Av go to the yard? If so, how do they access it? Using the switches north of Bedford Park Blvd? If so, why don't they just run local to Bedford Park Blvd?

I guess they could go to Bedford, but I think they send them to Woodlawn, send them down the <4> on the Express to Burnside, and reverse the train right in the yard. There is nothing on the Express so it should not be so hard.

Totally random thought...

We all know how fast the (L) goes now through the turns and the tunnels thanks to CBTC & ATO, so imagine how the the (7) is gonna take them turns and through the Steinway tunnel

lol, sigh... I still wonder how much longer they are going to keep making trains accommodate the tunnel... Obivously a new river tunnel isn't cheap, but those tubes were never meant to handle subway trains. If they built new tunnels, maybe then the Flushing line could finally run 60' car B div trains.

The (G) is shortened partly because the MTA doesn't have enough cars to run full length trains. Someday, I'm guessing that they'll have more (due to the R179s and R211s coming), in which case they'll want to keep the longer platforms. Additionally, it's important to be flexible for reroutes (which aren't so rare), and it'll cost money to block off the ends of the platforms (which the MTA shouldn't be spending on this).

Also, I'm pretty sure that the platform exits/entrances are often at the ends.

When the (V) was finally eliminated/replaced with the (M), they technically could've taken back the AA pairs and made the R46s 6 car trains again. Of course that meant the R44s would've had to stay around a little longer. Obviously now that the (G) runs R68/As they can only have 4 or 8 car trains, but it would be nice if the (G) can someday run full length trains without it being a GO on the Culver.

lol, sigh... I still wonder how much longer they are going to keep making trains accommodate the tunnel... Obivously a new river tunnel isn't cheap, but those tubes were never meant to handle subway trains. If they built new tunnels, maybe then the Flushing line could finally run 60' car B div trains.

The Flushing line can run 60 foot B division trains, they'd just have to go via Broadway...

When the (V) was finally eliminated/replaced with the (M), they technically could've taken back the AA pairs and made the R46s 6 car trains again. Of course that meant the R44s would've had to stay around a little longer. Obviously now that the (G) runs R68/As they can only have 4 or 8 car trains, but it would be nice if the (G) can someday run full length trains without it being a GO on the Culver.

The (G) doesn't need full length trains. Take it from a frequent rider, I think people would rather see more trains rather than longer ones.

The Flushing line can run 60 foot B division trains, they'd just have to go via Broadway...

The doesn't need full length trains. Take it from a frequent rider, I think people would rather see more trains rather than longer ones.

The population of Queens is going up. You can only run short trains for so long till the tunnels are clogged and they need to run full length trains. Same problem applies to the (L), it needs longer trains rather than just more trains.

Of course the Flushing line can run 60' car trains east of QBP (but you also need to add another diamond crossover for the lower level). Obviously the main problem is you can only fit so many trains thru 60th st. So running Flushing over to Broadway is out of the question unless QBP were reconfigured where Flushing goes via 60th and Astoria goes via 42nd.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Getting home from the (J) train G.O. Monday night/Tuesday morning at about 2AM, I noticed work being done on the southbound (F) track at Delancey, and work being done on the (L) west of Union Square.

Anyone know why? It certainly wasn't scheduled. And whatever the work was on the (L) it was some serious stuff, because I saw this one guy walk on the platform from the track who was sweaty as hell.

Also another question, can they do track work on the (L) while trains are still running? I thought that wasn't allowed because of CBTC. Either way my (L) train (Eastbound), went about 5mpish to 3rd Ave.

7902525370_1e03f323a1_b.jpg

Downtown_Track_Map_Fantasy by 163CPW, on Flickr

My fantasy track map for downtown. This includes new services. New services include a blue (L), and an (F) express. The (W) is now revived aswell. New routings/tunnels, are on the (C) and (E), which run in their own tunnel downtown. The (J)(Z) and (6) are now extended to Battery Park where a new terminal is built, along with Fulton St on the (J)(Z) is re-built to be one level. Cortland St on the (1) is now re-opened. (J)(Z) tail tracks are re-connected to the Manehattan Bridge, and the abandoned section is re-configured. West 4th St, has an entirely new layout. With a new Broadway-Lafayette bypass track. There are new tracks and switches just east of 2nd Ave.

The (L) also has a new station on Ave B. There are new switches just east of the station, and the lay-up track at 8th Ave is now accessible from 6th Ave. There are also new switches on the (R)(W) at Canal St, along with the Cranberry St Tubes. The uptown (6) platform @Bleecker was also moved south.

(Sorry it's so small)

Edited by CDTA

My fantasy track map for downtown. This includes new services. New services include a blue (L), and an (F) express. The (W) is now revived aswell. New routings/tunnels, are on the (C) and (E), which run in their own tunnel downtown. The (J)(Z) and (6) are now extended to Battery Park where a new terminal is built, along with Fulton St on the (J)(Z) is re-built to be one level. Cortland St on the (1) is now re-opened. (J)(Z) tail tracks are re-connected to the Manehattan Bridge, and the abandoned section is re-configured. West 4th St, has an entirely new layout. With a new Broadway-Lafayette bypass track. There are new tracks and switches just east of 2nd Ave.

The (L) also has a new station on Ave B. There are new switches just east of the station, and the lay-up track at 8th Ave is now accessible from 6th Ave. There are also new switches on the (R)(W) at Canal St, along with the Cranberry St Tubes. The uptown (6) platform @Bleecker was also moved south.

(Sorry it's so small)

Reality: West 4th Street is a mess: the DeKalb of the IND, The <F> will cause major delays on 6th Avenue, The (C)(E) tunnels are useless, The (6) to the Battery Park Term. should be built on another level. The (J) terminal could be smaller. And how do you want to make the Nassau Street loop boy?

The (L) cannot have a station at Avenue B, the tunnel begins at Avenue A.

Reality: West 4th Street is a mess: the DeKalb of the IND, The <F> will cause major delays on 6th Avenue, The (C)(E) tunnels are useless, The (6) to the Battery Park Term. should be built on another level. The (J) terminal could be smaller. And how do you want to make the Nassau Street loop boy?

lol its fantasy

But in all seriousness, West 4th is re-configured that way otherwise the <F> and ( L ) would exceed 30TPH. Also the <F> is only 8TPH, so in theory it would work. The (C)(E) tunnels are made, because the (C) gets an extra 6TPH. Also you'll see why the terminal is so big in an upcoming project! :D

But in all seriousness, West 4th is re-configured that way otherwise the <F> and ( L ) would exceed 30TPH. Also the <F> is only 8TPH, so in theory it would work. The (C)(E) tunnels are made, because the (C) gets an extra 6TPH. Also you'll see why the terminal is so big in an upcoming project! :D

Those switches would cause major delays, understand now.

Question: do the (4) trains that terminate at Burnside Av go to the yard? If so, how do they access it? Using the switches north of Bedford Park Blvd? If so, why don't they just run local to Bedford Park Blvd?

Yes, they go directly to the yard using the switches north of Bedford Park. The reason they don't run local to Bedford Park is that this way the trains don't block traffic while the crews clean them out of any remaining passengers. There are some (4) trains that run local to Beford Park and then go to the yard.

Longer trains can carry more people thus if there was increased ridership they'd first make 'em longer.

Except those longer trains would not fit into the station.

Cortlandt St reopening? That's a fantasy, no question about that.....

No, the (1) has enough stops. We don't need any more. If it was up to me, 18 St. and 28 St. would be closed down. You don't need stations so close to each other. The Lex., 6th, and 8th Ave. lines don't have an 18th St. stop and they do just fine.

Edited by Donald

No, the (1) has enough stops. We don't need any more. If it was up to me, 18 St. and 28 St. would be closed down. You don't need stations so close to each other. The Lex., 6th, and 8th Ave. lines don't have an 18th St. stop and they do just fine.

The TA plans to reopen Cortlandt Street station, probably when the construction at the WTC site is almost complete.

Those switches would cause major delays, understand now.

I wouldn't say MAJOR delays, but yea, delays wouldn't really be that surprising. I tried to keep a general cap of 25TPH, and on some of the switches, the train could wait to switch, while the one behind them passes them.