SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I got to ride the 62s on the Nostrand Branch on the S/B track.... I ridden Redbirds, the 110A, 142s and the 62s on those rails.

Needless to say the ride was rough (Braking wise) I remember the Redbirds being much smoother and was only bucky on takeoff.

Riding N/B on the 62s had me reminiscing about when Redbirds ran on the line, I don't have many positive memories in life I enjoyed riding those trains back in the day, the 62s are not quite the same as the Redbirds but its close enough.

Now I hope they have a G.O someday where the the (4) goes to Flatbush so I could ride a 142A on the line.

Oh my @ listening to the 142A poplusion sing a tune as it pulls into Flatbush Terminal :D

Well the (L) announces the M15 at 1 Av (although the sticker is not in the strip maps), and the (F) announces it at 2 Av. I don't see why the (2), (E), (F), (N), and (Q) dont announce the M34/A at Penn Station/Herald Sq.

I'm on the fence about the (6) announcing it at 33 St since the bus itself is a block away

The (6) should, there is an exit very close to 34th Street and a block is not too far. I also think there is an exit almost on 34th Street, I may be wrong.

friday on the (1) train 3 kids in a summer camp fell!

i was cracking up!

its was at 116 st and the ids was annoying me so a caught a (3) train to 42 st

LOL. All the sudden these kids hop on a (D) train, last second right before the doors close. The doors try to close on the kids. R68's don't like kids... :(

Quick question-- this may be a stupid one, but how come the M and R don't go two stops further and terminate at the next express-configured station, Kew Gardens, as opposed to their current terminal, Forest Hills- 71st Ave?

The problem is that the (M) and (R) would have to terminate on the express tracks inside Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike, which would block (E) and (F) trains. At 71 Av, the trains stay on the local tracks, go past the station, and turn around on a lower-level track near 75 Avenue, thus not blocking other trains.

The track map for this area: http://www.nycsubway...northeast_3.png

Edited by TheSubwayStation

The problem is that the (M) and (R) would have to terminate on the express tracks inside Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike, which would block (E) and (F) trains. At 71 Av, the trains stay on the local tracks, go past the station, and turn around on a lower-level track near 75 Avenue, thus not blocking other trains.

The track map for this area: http://www.nycsubway...northeast_3.png

Ohhh... makes sense. I do hate trains terminating on two different platforms, such as the Q at 57th on weekends.

The (6) should, there is an exit very close to 34th Street and a block is not too far. I also think there is an exit almost on 34th Street, I may be wrong.

The entrance is on 33 St (hence the name). There's another entrance on 32 St that was added when the station was lengthened

Well people are getting smarter than the MTA these days. At Jamaica Van Wyck (E) Station this guy instead of paying the fare like everyone else, he wanted to catch up to his friend so he dropped down to the floor and he rolled under the gate next to the turnstiles and he got up at the other side and acted like nothing happened <_<. Boy these New Yorkers do crazy stuff. :wacko:

Another question: how come the (MTA) doesn't shorten platforms on the (G) already to at least 6- car length? I see so many out-of-towers running when the trains zooms right by them or stops short. Is it because of the occasional F reroute, or does the (MTA) think that Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc.'s population will one day call for a lengthening?

Well people are getting smarter than the MTA these days. At Jamaica Van Wyck (E) Station this guy instead of paying the fare like everyone else, he wanted to catch up to his friend so he dropped down to the floor and he rolled under the gate next to the turnstiles and he got up at the other side and acted like nothing happened <_<. Boy these New Yorkers do crazy stuff. :wacko:

I hope there's cameras in that station.

^ 500th post w00t^

Edited by N4 Via Merrick Rd

Another question: how come the (MTA) doesn't shorten platforms on the (G) already to at least 6- car length? I see so many out-of-towers running when the trains zooms right by them or stops short. Is it because of the occasional F reroute, or does the (MTA) think that Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc.'s population will one day call for a lengthening?

I think that it's because it would simply cost too much to shorten it, and they want the additional flexibility.

The (G) is shortened partly because the MTA doesn't have enough cars to run full length trains. Someday, I'm guessing that they'll have more (due to the R179s and R211s coming), in which case they'll want to keep the longer platforms. Additionally, it's important to be flexible for reroutes (which aren't so rare), and it'll cost money to block off the ends of the platforms (which the MTA shouldn't be spending on this).

Also, I'm pretty sure that the platform exits/entrances are often at the ends.

Figured I'd come here to ask this question here since there's T/Os and train stalkers here...

Word on Facebook is that there's a 160 Alstom/Siemens mix running around and there's one person that keeps catching it. Naturally I'm calling bullshit on it but I wanna see if anyone else heard about it/caught it

Figured I'd come here to ask this question here since there's T/Os and train stalkers here...

Word on Facebook is that there's a 160 Alstom/Siemens mix running around and there's one person that keeps catching it. Naturally I'm calling bullshit on it but I wanna see if anyone else heard about it/caught it

You mean like an R160A-2/R160B mix, or is it something different?

Iv'e seen it. Caught it at West 8th last time I was in the city. But that was almost two months ago.

Late night misadventures: I was waiting for my train at the 86th street station (on the IRT 7th avenue line) when these three drunk frat boy a**holes start pissing on the track and on the platform. If you haven't picked it up from my little story don't go to this station until the T/A cleaners clean this mess up.

Fast forward: When I finished my little trip I see this dude at the 23rd street station rolling up some weed, lighting it up, and smoking it right on the platform. I stood next to him for awhile; I might have gotten high.

Gotta love the MTA.