SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Isn't that the way it is with the reroutes? Everyone simply assumes their train is running normally, despite all the signs that say otherwise. At least they had the R to transfer to at South Ferry. Oh wait....

Always helps to pay attention to what's going on.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@TwoTimer Is it a good idea to wait for the (B) when you're in a hurry to Kings Highway station? My friend and I attend Cunningham IS 234 and he takes the B36 to the (B) at Sheepshead. He always turns up late because BAM! Right when he hits the top step...

Ding-dong! The doors close and faarrrttt...the R68(A)'s brakes fart and with a loud clank it takes off...8 minutes before our "You're late for Homeroom!" bell rings!

That's pretty unfortunate on that morning run. I always seem to be able to connect to the (B) at Kings Highway from Ave U 4-8 minutes after the (Q) leaves.

The occasions I do miss the (B), I can connect at Newkirk.

Edited by peacemak3r

I was looking at photos of Cortlandt St (1), right after 9/11, and it looks like the majority of the damage was in the tunnel. If that's the case, why is the station STILL not open yet? (I think I still have a brochure somewhere of it opening in '09)

I was looking at photos of Cortlandt St (1), right after 9/11, and it looks like the majority of the damage was in the tunnel. If that's the case, why is the station STILL not open yet? (I think I still have a brochure somewhere of it opening in '09)

The tunnel goes straight under the site and the station itself was pretty damaged too (there's a picture of one of the beams from the towers that went straight through the station). They gonna wait until the area is completed before they open the station. No sense to have a train station open directly in the middle of a construction site.

Funny conversation between me and my girlfriend this morning at Broadway Junction...

Her: Why does the (A) come into the station so slow?

Me: They put a timer mid-way into the station to slow it down just in case it comes in too fast *points at signal above me*

Her: Well is it useful?

(A) train: *CHOW* (trips signal)

Me: I think that answers your question

I Love the L line & all , but they need some maintainance on the tracks or something .. dont know much about it ... but when the trains are in ATO especially in the morning its sucks becuase the L is packed to the best it can do and people begin to fall on you becuase of the way it rides.

& i have this weird feeling the r 143s are going to be the new r32s

any idea on when the (L) will get something like a fasttrack since it cannot have a fasttrack

I also wish they had a third track , cause they are alotta delays after Bway Junction in the morning.

ok im done complaining now.

If anyone is wondering, this is what I saw today on the Broadway line:

Between 57th Street and 49th Street:

2-3 8-car R68A sets (signed up as (B) trains)on the SB Express track.

2-3 8-car R68A sets (signed up as (B) trains)on the NB Express track.

Between 34th Street and 14th Street:

3-4 8-car R68A sets (signed up as (B) trains)on the NB express track.

Between 14th Street and Canal Street:

2-3 8-car R68A sets (signed up as (B) trains) on the NB (or SB ???) express track.

At Whitehall Street:

1 Jamaica R160A-2 set on the Middle track.

Edited by GojiMet86

That Jamaica R160 must of been there for evacuation purposes, or an OOS (R) train.

No, they put trains wherever they can, as the yards (espeically CIY, Jam and Wes) must be evacuated. Since no service is running, there is no need to keep flexibility at Whitehall. Edited by TwoTimer

Yesterday on the 4th av line before shutdown was very weird. In the northbound express track between 59st and 36st there were R68 (D) trains laided up. In the southbound express track between 36st and 59st there were R46 (R) trains laided up. At 36st I saw a R160 laided up north of the station on the southbound track. Northbound (N) trains ran local from 59st to 36st then express. All 4th av soutbound service was on the local track.

Damage assessments need to be done and the water needs to be pumped out of the tunnels before any type of subway service is restored.

Not to get ahead of myself or anything, but if it is determined the South Ferry is unusable due to water damage, there are several other ways for running the 1 line that does not include a reroute into Brooklyn.