BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Have you noticed that Ulmer Park is running more standards on the B1? It is possible that the XD60s at UP are suffering at this point. UP refused overhaul on the 2012-13 XD60s when they got theirs for the B1. Surprisingly, both Grand and Stengel got their 2012-13 XD60s when there were overhauled at Zerega. 

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RSMG106 said:

Have you noticed that Ulmer Park is running more standards on the B1? It is possible that the XD60s at UP are suffering at this point. UP refused overhaul on the 2012-13 XD60s when they got theirs for the B1. Surprisingly, both Grand and Stengel got their 2012-13 XD60s when there were overhauled at Zerega. 

In one of these sticky threads a poster who went to Zerega noted that a lot of 4700s were there getting upgrades. Maybe that's the reason more 40 Footers are showing up on the B1.

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

Q12 is fairly overrun with both 40ft and Blue and gold XD60's rarely even seen the intended fleet on it nowadays.

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I have to side with the community on this one. Fordham Rd is a major thoroughfare an artery for people commuting across the Bronx. 

......Which is why prioritizing TRANSIT by using bus lanes is the RIGHT way to get MASSES across the Bronx in a RAPID manner.

Instead, these boneheaded storeowners are intentionally making Working-Class people suffer.

......There are also too-many self-hating transitfans here......What happened to actually SPEEDING up TRANSIT for the MASSES?

Too many busfans here care more about the BEEPS and the VROOM-VROOMS of buses than the commuters who actually want to get somewhere today, not yesterday.

......And then y'all wonder why ridership keeps going down and people keep buying cars.

1 minute ago, GojiMet86 said:

......Which is why prioritizing TRANSIT by using bus lanes is the RIGHT way to get MASSES across the Bronx in a RAPID manner.

Instead, these boneheaded storeowners are intentionally making Working-Class people suffer.

......There are also too-many self-hating transitfans here......What happened to actually SPEEDING up TRANSIT for the MASSES?

Too many busfans here care more about the BEEPS and the VROOM-VROOMS of buses than the commuters who actually want to get somewhere today, not yesterday.

......And then y'all wonder why ridership keeps going down and people keep buying cars.

Not at the expense of full-on car elimination from Fordham Road.

You can blame transit for not building a Fordham Rd crosstown line. The buses are barely helping, from both the Bx12 AND SBS.

19 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I have to side with the community on this one. Fordham Rd is a major thoroughfare an artery for people commuting across the Bronx. 

I wasn't truly on board with a full busway only because of how many cars go through it. That being said, I wouldn't say it was community opposition that got it axed. From what the article claims, it only saw opposition from businesses but they had big time people (Like those from Fordham U and even the former chief of staff for Bloomberg) on their side which heavily favored the businesses to get the busway axed. Many residents and bus riders were in favor of the busway, but it seems those that don't live in the area really had an influence in axing the project.

A note about the LFS that MTA Bus has, 8978: It's similar to what the NYCT has except the top sticker of the USB port next to the bus number. There's a space between the sticker and back camera with MTA Bus decals where NYCT was at. The buses being replaced may be in different orders (not entirely old gens first then next gens). It'll be mixed, for example, ex NYCT Next Gen unit and Old Gen unit at one day. 

3 hours ago, GojiMet86 said:

Store owners are retarded, They'll never learn. In the 70's they cried about the J train and (MTA) caved and business went to shit on Jamaica Ave since there was no subway for 12 years.

The Bx12 is garbage just like the M15 due to politics and bullshit. This area needed the Busway badly.

The other problem with the busways are if they'll actually be enforced....Jamaica Avenue's busways are hardly enforced. Cabs and other vehicles go through it as if nothing changed. This has always been my primary problem with their implementation of the busways, and so far, 14th Street is the only one that is enforced seriously. Main Street is very hit or miss with enforcement. I doubt Fordham Road would get that treatment of serious enforcement.

What folks who are also for the idea don't see is that Fordham Road is literally a major artery on both the East and West ends of Fordham Road, as it leads directly to Pelham Parkway, the Major Deegan Expressway, the Bronx River Parkway and quite literally, Manhattan. Logistically, making Fordham Road from Arthur Avenue to Morris Avenue a busway would make very little sense for that reason alone, as there's no alternative to get to those two points of interest, and would actually make traffic conditions much worse elsewhere. That part of The Bronx has very few alternative routes to get to those areas. A busway won't stop people from driving in their cars, especially people who already dislike using public transportation as it is(and that's a lot of people).

If Fordham Road was wide enough, double bus lanes like on Madison Avenue would've been better than a full blown busway. The DOT always had a half-assed approach to the busway implementation(except for 14th Street, they actually mapped out alternate routes), for example, in preparation of the Jamaica Avenue Busway, they ADDED a traffic light on Sutphin Blvd at 91st Avenue. That made traffic exponentially worse on Sutphin. Every block between Jamaica Avenue and 95th Avenue has traffic lights now, and they aren't in sync.

The fact of the matter is, if the DOT, the MTA and the NYPD were actually serious about enforcing the existing bus lanes, we'd never be in this predicament to implement full blown busways to begin with. Other big cities have bus lanes that are seriously, legitimately enforced. The fact that New York City has bus lanes that are very rarely enforced systemwide(but will enforce SBS fares sparingly) is an overall disappointment. The bus lanes in New York City are literally a joke because of the lack of enforcement. And with the way DOT implements their plans, it's a lazy, half-assed approach that more often than not, does more harm than good.

After how disastrous the implementation of the Jamaica Avenue busways was, I have very little faith in the DOT and the city implementing busways with some sort of logical sense behind it.

Edited by Cait Sith

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The other problem with the busways are if they'll actually be enforced....Jamaica Avenue's busways are hardly enforced. Cabs and other vehicles go through it as if nothing changed. This has always been my primary problem with their implementation of the busways, and so far, 14th Street is the only one that is enforced seriously. Main Street is very hit or miss with enforcement. I doubt Fordham Road would get that treatment of serious enforcement.

What folks who are also for the idea don't see is that Fordham Road is literally a major artery on both the East and West ends of Fordham Road, as it leads directly to Pelham Parkway, the Major Deegan Expressway, the Bronx River Parkway and quite literally, Manhattan. Logistically, making Fordham Road from Arthur Avenue to Morris Avenue a busway would make very little sense for that reason alone, as there's no alternative to get to those two points of interest, and would actually make traffic conditions much worse elsewhere. That part of The Bronx has very few alternative routes to get to those areas. A busway won't stop people from driving in their cars, especially people who already dislike using public transportation as it is(and that's a lot of people).

If Fordham Road was wide enough, double bus lanes like on Madison Avenue would've been better than a full blown busway. The DOT always had a half-assed approach to the busway implementation(except for 14th Street, they actually mapped out alternate routes), for example, in preparation of the Jamaica Avenue Busway, they ADDED a traffic light on Sutphin Blvd at 91st Avenue. That made traffic exponentially worse on Sutphin. Every block between Jamaica Avenue and 95th Avenue has traffic lights now, and they aren't in sync.

The fact of the matter is, if the DOT, the MTA and the NYPD were actually serious about enforcing the existing bus lanes, we'd never be in this predicament to implement full blown busways to begin with. Other big cities have bus lanes that are seriously, legitimately enforced. The fact that New York City has bus lanes that are very rarely enforced systemwide(but will enforce SBS fares sparingly) is an overall disappointment. The bus lanes in New York City are literally a joke because of the lack of enforcement. And with the way DOT implements their plans, it's a lazy, half-assed approach that more often than not, does more harm than good.

After how disastrous the implementation of the Jamaica Avenue busways was, I have very little faith in the DOT and the city implementing busways with some sort of logical sense behind it.

They're half-assing everything these days. 14th Street is an effective bus lane but from a planning perspective it's a total waste of space that could easily have been a busway + bikeway + pedestrian plaza. Instead, it's just this ugly empty thoroughfare, with little enough traffic that everybody jaywalks mid-block, but enough traffic that it's not pleasant to walk on. Worse, the 12th and 13th St. bike lanes are unprotected and unenforced (the NYPD has completely claimed the buffer lanes between 5th and Broadway) so a lot of bikers still take 14th Street, meaning they just crammed a lane of traffic, took away hundreds of parking spots, and split up bikeway traffic for no good reason.

The funniest thing by far is what they did to West 3rd St., where they moved the parking lane into the middle of the street to narrow the traffic lane and add a bike lane, but because these morons only use paint on the street and not curb extensions, bollards, planters, or anything, they accidentally created a second parking lane where cars just park on the pedestrian plaza. And to add insult to injury, the only way to access that parking lane is to, you guessed it, drive a car through the bike lane. It's a level of incompetence that would get people fired in most places, but Ydanis is completely over his head and Mayor Essential Oils has no idea what he's doing. 

The only hope, I think, are these bus-mounted cameras really upping enforcement as you say. As far as I'm concerned, the 5th Avenue double-lane bus way is another complete waste because of lack of enforcement, and you can see the proof from the fact that ops use the car/traffic lanes to get through. Until they 1) actually enforce bus lanes, 2) protect bike lanes, and 3) use concrete for curb extensions rather than paint, they're just creating traffic jams and (in many cases) making streets even less safe than before.

Edited by MHV9218

42 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

They're half-assing everything these days. 14th Street is an effective bus lane but from a planning perspective it's a total waste of space that could easily have been a busway + bikeway + pedestrian plaza. Instead, it's just this ugly empty thoroughfare, with little enough traffic that everybody jaywalks mid-block, but enough traffic that it's not pleasant to walk on. Worse, the 12th and 13th St. bike lanes are unprotected and unenforced (the NYPD has completely claimed the buffer lanes between 5th and Broadway) so a lot of bikers still take 14th Street, meaning they just crammed a lane of traffic, took away hundreds of parking spots, and split up bikeway traffic for no good reason.

The funniest thing by far is what they did to West 3rd St., where they moved the parking lane into the middle of the street to narrow the traffic lane and add a bike lane, but because these morons only use paint on the street and not curb extensions, bollards, planters, or anything, they accidentally created a second parking lane where cars just park on the pedestrian plaza. And to add insult to injury, the only way to access that parking lane is to, you guessed it, drive a car through the bike lane. It's a level of incompetence that would get people fired in most places, but Ydanis is completely over his head and Mayor Essential Oils has no idea what he's doing. 

The only hope, I think, are these bus-mounted cameras really upping enforcement as you say. As far as I'm concerned, the 5th Avenue double-lane bus way is another complete waste because of lack of enforcement, and you can see the proof from the fact that ops use the car/traffic lanes to get through. Until they 1) actually enforce bus lanes, 2) protect bike lanes, and 3) use concrete for curb extensions rather than paint, they're just creating traffic jams and (in many cases) making streets even less safe than before.

I despise the 5th/Madison bus lanes. From doing the 4C, I can not tell you how many times some idiot driver thinks its a good idea to make a right turn across 2 bus lanes with 50,000 pound buses coming right at them.

4 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

I agree, 14th Street could've been planned much better to the point where businesses would benefit way more with the street space. Outdoor dining would've made more sense with the idea of a pedestrian plaza of some sort. The amount of missed opportunities that plague 14th Street now with the unused space has gone up ever since.

West 3rd(and that general vicinity of Greenwich Village) is a nightmare, even for people walking on the sidewalk, MacDougal as well. As an e-bike owner, I avoid that area as much as I can.

As for the bike lanes, the only ones I've ever seen enforced(in Manhattan) is the one on 8th Avenue. The ones on 1st and 2nd Avenue are never enforced and you always have cyclists going down the opposite direction of the bike lane/street. I always end up wanting to fight someone over how stupid they are on the bike lane sometimes. I just end up staying on the traffic lanes for that reason, and I always take advantage of the bus lane while I can.

I am obviously pro-transit and want things to be better for buses and trains altogether, but you also cannot turn a blind eye to the damage the city and the DOT has done to the city with their lack of planning. The one-track mind ideology is not the way things should be done. I wish they would come up with plans that would benefit both transit and car owners, especially since other major cities in the US have done so, and the way they planned the Fordham busway would have done a lot more damage than it would improve things.

Edited by Cait Sith

19 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

I agree, 14th Street could've been planned much better to the point where businesses would benefit way more with the street space. Outdoor dining would've made more sense with the idea of a pedestrian plaza of some sort. The amount of missed opportunities that plague 14th Street now with the unused space has gone up ever since.

West 3rd(and that general vicinity of Greenwich Village) is a nightmare, even for people walking on the sidewalk, MacDougal as well. As an e-bike owner, I avoid that area as much as I can.

As for the bike lanes, the only ones I've ever seen enforced(in Manhattan) is the one on 8th Avenue. The ones on 1st and 2nd Avenue are never enforced and you always have cyclists going down the opposite direction of the bike lane/street. I always end up wanting to fight someone over how stupid they are on the bike lane sometimes. I just end up staying on the traffic lanes for that reason, and I always take advantage of the bus lane while I can.

I am obviously pro-transit and want things to be better for buses and trains altogether, but you also cannot turn a blind eye to the damage the city and the DOT has done to the city with their lack of planning. The one-track mind ideology is not the way things should be done. I wish they would come up with plans that would benefit both transit and car owners, especially since other major cities in the US have done so, and the way they planned the Fordham busway would have done a lot more damage than it would improve things.

This is my biggest pet peeve, Idiots blowing through the bike lanes in the opposite direction and blowing red lights. The amount of times i almost got hurt because of these idiots I've lost count. They need to enforce the rules on every major bike lane because it's getting very annoying.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:24 PM, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I don't know if this has been addressed or brought up at any point (and i apologize for any redundancy) but can anyone from queens explain to me how the Q7 suffers from bunching during the midday hours?

to provide a bit of context, i was driving across rockaway blvd and saw 2 Q7's basically back to back in both directions around Lefferts blvd around 1150-ish this morning. being that i used to live on lakewood avenue some years back and had to commute to lindenwood for work, i always assumed they (JFK Depot/JFK B/O's) had extremely tight paddles on that line. I'm honestly just wondering what's up.. is this a MTA Bus thing or was the 7 bad in the GBL days as well... enlighten me, please and thanks 

The Q7 has always been that way for as long as I can remember (as in, back in the GBL days)... If paddles were/are tight on it, I wouldn't know it - because every single time I take the Q7 into Brooklyn, it crawls like shit.... On top of that, reliability was, and still is utter shit on it..... AFAIC, the problem is with the Brooklyn end of the route; it loses too much importance once it hits Rockaway Blvd. subway from the east..... From Euclid subway, it's a wonder why virtually everyone guns for the Q8 for EB service in general (and these don't all be people heading to Jamaica either)....

I'm not sure if this phenomenon still goes on, but Q7's at Euclid subway were notorious for going in service/pulling out AFTER a Q8 (the short turns, obviously) would - even if a Q7 was scheduled to leave before a Q8 during a certain time period....

Quite frankly, I'm glad they're planning on making changes to this route with the redesign, because the Rockaway Blvd. corridor has been underserved/underrated for quite a long time....

2 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I don't disagree, but while somewhat rhetorical, the question I have for this, is.... To what extent?

This city is too busy trying to come up with schemes to siphon more money from us taxpaying suckers citizens, to willingly come up with (more) plans that would benefit public transit.... Way I see it, the real goal of congestion pricing is to f***ing induce congestion, not deter it (as in, by making public transit more beneficial)....

There was an actual report the MTA themselves put out about a year or so ago, that practically admitted that congestion pricing would increase air pollution (by way of congestion, of course) in The Bronx & SI... This is what we're dealing with here....

Edited by B35 via Church

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I'm not sure if this phenomenon still goes on, but Q7's at Euclid subway were notorious for going in service/pulling out AFTER a Q8 (the short turns, obviously) would - even if a Q7 was scheduled to leave before a Q8 during a certain time period....

That kind of thing always happens where multiple buses share any specific corridor. Then again, that kind of thing also happens when buses bunch and they're both on layover (except one of them is most likely late and delaying to leave until their follower(s) picks up the slack). Don't wanna get crush loaded with passengers then sit there making every stop because "DING! PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE REAR DOOR"

2 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

That kind of thing always happens where multiple buses share any specific corridor. Then again, that kind of thing also happens when buses bunch and they're both on layover (except one of them is most likely late and delaying to leave until their follower(s) picks up the slack). Don't wanna get crush loaded with passengers then sit there making every stop because "DING! PLEASE EXIT THROUGH THE REAR DOOR"

With these 2 routes in-particular, it almost always happens on the Q8 & seldom, if ever on the Q7 (IME anyway)..... Those Q7 ops know the lion's share of folks want the Q8....

I would actually understand if Q8 ops did / are doing that (since Q8's are notoriously delayed/late, for various reasons), but Q7 ops doing that makes less sense to me.... Quite frankly, I'm glad they're opting to take the Q7 away from its current portion west of Cross Bay with the redesign & having it serve a different part of Brooklyn where it's far more likely to garner more patronage....

19 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I don't disagree, but while somewhat rhetorical, the question I have for this, is.... To what extent?

Not to a huge extent, but to a point where a not-so-severe compromise can be done. It's evident that with the Fordham busway, there was no thought put into it especially since they'll essentially force drivers to use East 187th/188th streets, and then the traffic will just funnel back over to Fordham Road on both ends of the busway proposal, literally going back to square one. It wasn't a well-thought out idea.

Today’s CP story involves a trip with B/O doing everything in their power to avoid picking up passengers. I’m riding the Q65 LTD and this bus for some reason had its back door stuck. The driver spent a couple minutes trying to close the door which was ultimately achieved with restarting the bus. During that time 3 more people wanted to board and where waiting at the front door. As soon as the door closes the B/O just takes off without allowing the new passengers to board. Then later in the route there was a kid at a local stop where the bus obviously wouldn’t stop. But the kid ran all the way to next LTD stop the B/O sped up before the kid could make it to the pole. He was maybe about 20-30 ft away from it. The op did nothing wrong in the eyes of the MTA but still makes me double down on why I do not want CP near any of the routes I regularly rely on after the redesign. 

That video couldn't have been any more uninformative & boring... 100% corporate driven drivel.... It was uploaded a week ago, but I'd like to know when it was actually created... It's the same old talking points they've been regurgitating since talks of these bus network redesigns began!

FWIW, at least I found some solace/relief in the youtube comments... Was actually expecting a bunch of naivete type of remarks.... Now how many of those commenters are in these online NYC transit forum/discussion circles & how many of them are casuals that aren't, remains to be seen.... I actually hope that more/most of them are casuals, and not merely an extension of us so-called jaded, biased transit geeks in these circles.... Matter of fact, there needs to be more casuals speaking out.

Edited by B35 via Church
Same YouTube video as in the post above.... Linked instead of embedded for post length reasons...

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Not to a huge extent, but to a point where a not-so-severe compromise can be done. It's evident that with the Fordham busway, there was no thought put into it especially since they'll essentially force drivers to use East 187th/188th streets, and then the traffic will just funnel back over to Fordham Road on both ends of the busway proposal, literally going back to square one. It wasn't a well-thought out idea.

Here's the problem... What we've gotten with the double bus lanes on 5th av & the 14th st. busway (and have it come to fruition, what's being proposed with this Fordham busway) is a microcosmic implementation of not being to a huge extent.... Call me a fatalist on this issue, but the way I see it, there's always going to be this sort of war (or however you wanna descriptively put it) between motorists & transit advocates/commuters (bus riders in this particular case).... Neither side is going to be appeased with any one particular project... That isn't to say that nothing should be done, but at the same time, I don't expect there to be some smoking gun project that'll make things easier (and/or quell) certain issues plaguing motorists trying to get around & bus commuters trying to get around.....

Your assessment of that Fordham busway bit specifically, I don't take issue with... Similar sentiments were made when the 14th st busway first rolled out.

18 hours ago, IAlam said:

Today’s CP story involves a trip with B/O doing everything in their power to avoid picking up passengers. I’m riding the Q65 LTD and this bus for some reason had its back door stuck. The driver spent a couple minutes trying to close the door which was ultimately achieved with restarting the bus. During that time 3 more people wanted to board and where waiting at the front door. As soon as the door closes the B/O just takes off without allowing the new passengers to board. Then later in the route there was a kid at a local stop where the bus obviously wouldn’t stop. But the kid ran all the way to next LTD stop the B/O sped up before the kid could make it to the pole. He was maybe about 20-30 ft away from it. The op did nothing wrong in the eyes of the MTA but still makes me double down on why I do not want CP near any of the routes I regularly rely on after the redesign. 

This part of it (in bold) I think is just an a**hole b/o thing in general; I have always thought that some b/o's get a kick out of a] seeing people run for their bus & b] blowing past folks running to catch a bus, on some power tripping shit.... To the latter, I've been on more than my fair share of buses (not just here in NYC either) where b/o's literally sped up their pace, as to expedite hopelessness out of some potential passenger at a chance of catching their bus... Fortunately though, I will say that most b/o's will either slow their pace (even try to catch a red light, if the light is before a given bus stop), or even stop the bus before it reaches the stop & let the person on, mid-stream (depending on the situation; little to no traffic, etc).... I'm actually starting to notice more of the latter being done (on the routes around me here, at least; B35, B12, B44, B46)....

Regardless, it just sounds like employee morale at CP is at an all time low.... Whatever's causing it needs to be rectified quickly, because this is beyond ridiculous....

When checking buses online on the desktop, you'll notice that there's an all blue bus icon. Although, some routes like the B1, and M31 (as well as the artic routes out of Tuskegee Airmen) will have a baby-stroller with it. 

Edited by Calvin

3 hours ago, Calvin said:

When checking buses online on the desktop, you'll notice that there's an all blue bus icon. Although, some routes like the B1, and M31 (as well as the artic routes out of Tuskegee Airmen) will have a baby-stroller with it. 

The Q44 has it too.