BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 7/24/2023 at 5:56 AM, danielhg121 said:

Damn, I fully thought the people in the van didn’t make it seeing that the van was totalled and burst into flames. Good to hear they’re expected to be fine. 

As for the bus, I doubt they’ll bother to repair it unless they Frankenstein the thing, is there even an LFSA that has front end damage?

From the images, it doesn't look like it received frame damage. They would just need to replace the engine covers on the back and side, as well as the rear light panel.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

From the images, it doesn't look like it received frame damage. They would just need to replace the engine covers on the back and side, as well as the rear light panel.

Can you post the images? Hopefully the guy is okay too.

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Pretty sure they gotta at the very least, replace the engine if they even bother repairing it. I doubt that the engine is still good to use, no way that the engine covers took that much without the frame enduring some of that energy. That minivan looked to be going at least 40-50 mph. 

Potentially silly question, but officially, how are B/Os supposed to keep track of time? I noticed that the new Prevosts have a little clock that displays on the dash, but i dont think I've seen that on other bus types. On private company buses, I see screens that show the time, the next stops, even integrated GPS directions. 

39 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Potentially silly question, but officially, how are B/Os supposed to keep track of time? I noticed that the new Prevosts have a little clock that displays on the dash, but i dont think I've seen that on other bus types. On private company buses, I see screens that show the time, the next stops, even integrated GPS directions. 

Farebox has a clock 

39 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The current time is on our fareboxes. But in the event that it doesn't work, we have our watches, which is required as part of our dress code.

Yesterday I rode an 2022 XD40 from ENY on the (L) shuttle, ice cold A/C.  Rode another 2022 on the B42 right after, trash A/C and the engine was giving off heat inside the bus. I put my hand under the vent barely any air was coming out. So annoying that in 2023 the MTA bus fleet doesn't have consistent A/C in every bus. It's literally hit or miss weather you would will get good A/C on an MTA bus SMH. 

13 hours ago, MikeyQ23 said:

Farebox has a clock 

13 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

The current time is on our fareboxes. But in the event that it doesn't work, we have our watches, which is required as part of our dress code.

11 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Farebox isn’t supposed to be used as official time. We are supposed to set our watch to the crew dispatcher clock. 

Thanks all! I hope you can use your uniform allowance to buy a watch, if it's a  required piece of clothing! I hate when employers require me to buy things for work purposes but then refuse to pay for it. 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Yesterday I rode an 2022 XD40 from ENY on the (L) shuttle, ice cold A/C.  Rode another 2022 on the B42 right after, trash A/C and the engine was giving off heat inside the bus. I put my hand under the vent barely any air was coming out. So annoying that in 2023 the MTA bus fleet doesn't have consistent A/C in every bus. It's literally hit or miss weather you would will get good A/C on an MTA bus SMH. 

I can agree with you on that front. I rode 5772 out of Gun Hill twice on Thursday while going to see Oppenheimer, and noticed this issue. However, it was worse because of the back looking like a mess, graffiti on the right side back, and an broken window refusing to close on the left rear side (leading to the bus feeling hot). However, the upside was that two different B/Os hauled ass on that bus.

Edited by RSMG106

3 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Thanks all! I hope you can use your uniform allowance to buy a watch, if it's a  required piece of clothing! I hate when employers require me to buy things for work purposes but then refuse to pay for it. 

I bought a $10 watch from my local rite aid as I don’t usually wear a watch. 

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

If you were to ride NICE buses you would have very little complaints about the few MTA buses that don’t have good A/C. I find that half the buses out in Nassau have bad or non working A/C’s. 
It was sad that last week I caught one of the 2015 XN40s on the n4 and the inside of the bus was hotter than it was outside and on top of that the bus was packed.

I personally can’t recall the last time I rode on a MTA with poor A/C and I ride a bunch of Queens routes. 

20 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

If you were to ride NICE buses you would have very little complaints about the few MTA buses that don’t have good A/C. I find that half the buses out in Nassau have bad or non working A/C’s. 
It was sad that last week I caught one of the 2015 XN40s on the n4 and the inside of the bus was hotter than it was outside and on top of that the bus was packed.

I personally can’t recall the last time I rode on a MTA with poor A/C and I ride a bunch of Queens routes. 

Yea NICE is awful lol. Earlier this summer I rode an NICE Gillig on the N23 where the A/C wasn't working, B/O had the little fans on in the front of the bus :lol:

It's great that the vast majority of MTA buses have working a/c, but something that's annoying is when you can't even close the windows to keep the cool air inside the buses, because the latches are broken.... Try to close the window, couple seconds later, window drops right back down..... smh.....

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

My biggest issue with A/C on MTA buses is when ops aren't turning them on or on high enough. I've been on a couple of buses where they max out the A/C and it's really nice even when the bus gets crowded. 

Shouldnt blame operators if you're not 100% sure how it works. Theres a climate control switch, we either flip it on or flip it off. We can't control any temp or make it "max out". Either the switch is on or off. We are supposed to always keep it on. Chances are if you guys want the "AC" on, we do as well and wont have it off. 

3 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Shouldnt blame operators if you're not 100% sure how it works. Theres a climate control switch, we either flip it on or flip it off. We can't control any temp or make it "max out". Either the switch is on or off. We are supposed to always keep it on. Chances are if you guys want the "AC" on, we do as well and wont have it off. 

Down here at WMATA, most of our buses (except for the Orions) automatically turn on the climate control when we start them up.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

19 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

that's disappointing if I was a B/O I wouldn't wanna take a hot bus. 

51 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Bus can't be pulled out from the depot if the A/C isnt working, but IF it does happen to break down/cease functioning mid-tour it's not considered a safety-sensitive defect...

That is a huge safety issue, maybe on local buses you can somewhat mitigate that with open windows but on express buses that's not even possible. I've heard of instances of people throwing up on some hot express buses. Working A/C is essential in this day and age especially with summer getting hotter every year.