BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I busfanned the M5. No, I'm not suicidal. Stick with me here.

I didn't travel the whole route; I got on at 140th St.

The trip to South Ferry was scheduled to take an even 90 minutes, but it actually took 100 minutes instead. We were stuck at an intersection (Broadway and Broome St) for a good 2-3 minutes because of all the traffic on Broome St. I thought the B/O was a bit of a slowpoke, but traffic is to blame here.

After 5th Av & 58th St, I remember the bus being fairly empty. I don't think there was ever more than 10 people (15 max) on the bus.

And all of this (minus traffic) can be traced to last yea.... uh... 2010's service cuts

Edited by Mysterious2train

Precisely, you are lucky. Lucky you :( On that topic, I have yet to see any new C40LF's. I didn't see 230 when it was in the Bronx and I have yet to see 266.

Best bet is the Bx36 mainly between 2-6pm

With the new pick, I'm not sure what time the operator who pulls out C40's almost everyday would be where but he tends to drive very fast, especially when he is limited

This morning went pretty well. I saw the S44 pull out, and started chasing after it, but when I saw that it was on the other side of the green light, I gave up and went back (the next stop was a local-only stop). It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the S89 showed up a few minutes late (it was supposed to be a couple of minutes ahead of the S44 and instead it was a couple of minutes behind).

As we passed by the local stops, I noticed a larger number of people waiting than usual (considering the S44 just passed by a couple of minutes ago). The driver floored it (and I mean floored it. :tup: ) and we caught up to the S44, and I saw the reason why: The bus was full up to the white line, and the people couldn't fit on (I didn't check to see if there was space in the back, but I assume he opened up the back door to let people in and they still couldn't fit).

At Walker Street, I tapped on the door to see if I could get a ride for one stop, but I assumed he wasn't going to let me on, so I started running. Then he opened the door, but when he saw me running away, he quickly shut it, and then he opened it again when he saw me run back.

So rather than sit through a whole bunch of stops on a packed bus, I got to get a ride on a bus with a seated load, and I only had to spend the last couple of blocks on the packed bus.

This morning went pretty well. I saw the S44 pull out, and started chasing after it, but when I saw that it was on the other side of the green light, I gave up and went back (the next stop was a local-only stop). It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the S89 showed up a few minutes late (it was supposed to be a couple of minutes ahead of the S44 and instead it was a couple of minutes behind).

As we passed by the local stops, I noticed a larger number of people waiting than usual (considering the S44 just passed by a couple of minutes ago). The driver floored it (and I mean floored it. :tup: ) and we caught up to the S44, and I saw the reason why: The bus was full up to the white line, and the people couldn't fit on (I didn't check to see if there was space in the back, but I assume he opened up the back door to let people in and they still couldn't fit).

At Walker Street, I tapped on the door to see if I could get a ride for one stop, but I assumed he wasn't going to let me on, so I started running. Then he opened the door, but when he saw me running away, he quickly shut it, and then he opened it again when he saw me run back.

So rather than sit through a whole bunch of stops on a packed bus, I got to get a ride on a bus with a seated load, and I only had to spend the last couple of blocks on the packed bus.

Lucky you... Apparently my X30 came a good 10 minutes early. I got to the stop at my usual time (a few minutes early) and I'm thinking the guy is running late and then an S48 pulls up. Usually I can see if they've come early since I have walk to Forest and then down Forest to the stop which takes a good 5 minutes, so arriving 5 minutes early means that he had to be a good 10 mins early because I didn't even see him on my way to the stop. One of the "new regulars" on the X30 (she used to ride the X16 when I took it back in the day, but now she uses the X30 and transfers to the X14 to get Downtown express bus service) asks the driver to open the door to tell me that the X30 had already come. She said she saw a bus at 08:17 (my bus was due at 08:27) and that she believes he was not a late bus. I got on, made a snide remark about him coming early and rode over to Manor and Forest and waited for the X14. Apparently he must've been quite early because I saw quite a few X30 regulars on the X14. Must be a new pick though because the B/O home was a different guy. I got home pretty quickly on the X30 tonight. About 07:35 or so, which is a record considering how late I've been getting home of late w/traffic and such.

MTA is about to waste a whole lot of money in the coming months on bus operator shields...I can see reason in putting them on the newer buses, but on an RTS? Yes, RTS's and possibly O5's in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan will be getting operator shields. And from what I've read and heard, they cost between $1200 and $1800 a piece depending.g on the bus...SMH

MTA is about to waste a whole lot of money in the coming months on bus operator shields...I can see reason in putting them on the newer buses, but on an RTS? Yes, RTS's and possibly O5's in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Manhattan will be getting operator shields. And from what I've read and heard, they cost between $1200 and $1800 a piece depending.g on the bus...SMH

The RTS shields look a little overkill, ecpically with the holes drilled into them like you're in a bank or something

The ones in the LFS meanwhile, don't really look like they're gonna protect anyone

The RTS shields look a little overkill, ecpically with the holes drilled into them like you're in a bank or something

The ones in the LFS meanwhile, don't really look like they're gonna protect anyone

The RTS's shouldnt even get shields, they are only gonna be here for 2 more years...

Best bet is the Bx36 mainly between 2-6pm

With the new pick, I'm not sure what time the operator who pulls out C40's almost everyday would be where but he tends to drive very fast, especially when he is limited

Thanks for the tip! I'm was heading over near the BX36 later today anyways, who knows I might get lucky and see it today. Plus there are more C40LF's at West Farms now so the odds of seeing one will be better.

The RTS's shouldnt even get shields, they are only gonna be here for 2 more years...

They could've redesigned it somewhat. I understand driver's safety is very important but that RTS shield looks like more trouble than its worth. Plus they retained the crowd bar on it so that just throws it off even more

Well IMO if any RTS's was to get B/O Shields I'd think the Overhauled RTS should get them.Since they'll be here longer It'll be more beneifical or them to have the shields.

---------

My notes:

While in my absence I rode two outta control RTS

9545: That bus's 4th gear took me out of my State of Mind. I suggest that being one to hunt for. Just make sure you have a fast B/O.:)

9556: That bus is one of those RTS that has weird sound effects. I suggest that one two.

JFK getting RTS: Seeing some on the roster really cleaned house on my mind. I'm happy to see JFKgeting their taste of RTS once mor. More the reason to ride their routes again.:(

...While in my absence I rode two outta control RTS

9545: That bus's 4th gear took me out of my State of Mind. I suggest that being one to hunt for. Just make sure you have a fast B/O.:)

9556: That bus is one of those RTS that has weird sound effects. I suggest that one two.

JFK getting RTS: Seeing some on the roster really cleaned house on my mind. I'm happy to see JFKgeting their taste of RTS once mor. More the reason to ride their routes again.:)

What 4th gear? The Allison VR-731 is a 3 speed transmission (1st, 2nd, 2nd lockup, 3rd)...what you probably heard was the the transmission slip into 3rd gear...may sound good to us but it usually means the transmission is about to give out

Theres a bunch of them that do that like (from what I've encountered)...

8884 (before they retired it, damn that one sounded good lol), 9179, 5140, 8832, 9607, 8888 (before they fixed it)

9397 & 5114 have no 2nd lockup and they soind good (espically 9397 ;))