BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

230 has been stalking me the whole month of September, yet I have not ridden it in service. Why is it mocking me? :/

Hey at least you have seen it in person. I was around westchester Sq the other day with my family for a few hours. Didn't see it while I was there..... to date I have not seen it in person although the 57xx keep stalking me.... I keep seeing them.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Friday, the S89 came late, and when it got to Walker Street, I saw an S96 in the distance. I tried the same trick of prying open the doors to get in, but it didn't work, so I just ran to school.

Going back, I caught the S44 (I had to chase it from Trantor Place to Morningstar Road, but there was some traffic so I caught it). At Forest Avenue, I saw a bus that said "Call Police", but a minute after my S44 pulled out, it put on an S59 sign and pulled out as well.

So I went into ShopRite, and when I came out, I barely missed the S59. :mad: I was pissed because I wanted to use up the transfer. So I waited and an S44 came a few minutes late. It was pretty crowded (though even though it was an O5, there was still nobody in the back), but I could've gotten on. However, since the next S59 was due in a few minutes, I decided to wait it out (unfortunately, for those few minutes, it was raining pretty hard).

They really need to put a shelter at that stop. I sent a request to 311 and they said that they determined it wasn't needed. I don't know they they came to that conclusion, though. :mad:

Ahhh... I love catching buses in traffic.

Whenever I come from Kings Plaza during PM Rush Hour, I always catch the Q35 this way.

Usually, I'll be waiting for the B41 to take it up to the Junction, but it won't come. Let me explain.

The local and limited 41 are only scheduled to run every 10 minutes combined around this time (let's say ~6 PM) but they aren't scheduled to run evenly every 10 minutes, so you can potentially be waiting for 15 minutes for a single bus going Downtown. Seeing 1 or 2 B41 buses come by, drop off people, and head off to the depot as a crowd forms on the B2 and B41's island is just the icing on the cake.

Speaking of the B2, even it comes more consistently than the B41. The B9 is arriving so-so, and the B46 is lining up and laying over in groups of 4 or 5.

So after waiting for a few minutes I see the Q35, and I run up to the stop on the far side of Avenue U. Since cars usually build up at Avenue U waiting for the light to change, that gives me time to run up to the stop. The Q35 is faster, even faster than the B41 Limited.

It's funny how B41 service to Kings Plaza is so much better on weekends than on weekdays. Thing is, it's usually better for me to go to Kings Plaza during the week than during the weekend.

I complained about this already, but nobody remembers that B)

Even if the (MTA) isn't going to increase reverse-peak B41 service out of the plaza, can't they at least have the 41 local and limited scheduled to leave evenly?

Ahhh... I love catching buses in traffic.

Whenever I come from Kings Plaza during PM Rush Hour, I always catch the Q35 this way.

Usually, I'll be waiting for the B41 to take it up to the Junction, but it won't come. Let me explain.

The local and limited 41 are only scheduled to run every 10 minutes combined around this time (let's say ~6 PM) but they aren't scheduled to run evenly every 10 minutes, so you can potentially be waiting for 15 minutes for a single bus going Downtown. Seeing 1 or 2 B41 buses come by, drop off people, and head off to the depot as a crowd forms on the B2 and B41's island is just the icing on the cake.

Speaking of the B2, even it comes more consistently than the B41. The B9 is arriving so-so, and the B46 is lining up and laying over in groups of 4 or 5.

So after waiting for a few minutes I see the Q35, and I run up to the stop on the far side of Avenue U. Since cars usually build up at Avenue U waiting for the light to change, that gives me time to run up to the stop. The Q35 is faster, even faster than the B41 Limited.

It's funny how B41 service to Kings Plaza is so much better on weekends than on weekdays. Thing is, it's usually better for me to go to Kings Plaza during the week than during the weekend.

I complained about this already, but nobody remembers that B)

Even if the (MTA) isn't going to increase reverse-peak B41 service out of the plaza, can't they at least have the 41 local and limited scheduled to leave evenly?

As much as I rely heavily on the B41, I hate it because it tends to bunch and leave large gaps b/w buses. The Q35 runs at about 15 min headways and is consistant because it doesn't have many delays till it hits the Junction. B41 has to go up FB Av which is 'narrow' and traffic prone. I would usually take the Q35 the moment it shows up over the B41.

Man, I saw some cool stuff this morning on the way in... I left a bit later than usual so I couldn't catch the X30. I went over to Manor & Forest and as I'm coming over to the X14 stop, I saw THREE, yes THREE Nova buses right behind each other there at Forest and Manor. Two were heading back to the depot (Castleton) "NOT IN SERVICE" and one was an S54 going further down to Broadway. I didn't feel like getting my Thunderbolt out and plus the light was changing, but if I had more time, I would've taken a shot. Saw some express buses that I don't usually see either in the morning like the X3 and the QM7, QM8, etc doing their Downtown Loops... :cool: I actually ditched the X14 since it seemed to be running a bit late and went up to Manor & Victory and took the X12 into work. No traffic either, which was amazing. :cool:

The S92 messed up on my way home. It was supposed to come at 17:56, and I saw an S62 come in a couple of minutes earlier, so I figured the S92 must not be far behind (it's amazing that the S62 gets few riders, so it's able to get ahead of its limited counterpart). At 18:00, I saw it at the light at Willow Road East, but it took 7 minutes to make that left turn into CSI.

When I got off, I ended up seeing another S92 come a couple of minutes later.

Now that I think about it, I saw another S62 come in right behind my S92, so maybe that left the ferry at the same time as my S92, and the earlier S62 came in late.

Today I rode a C40LF where the bus just randomly shut off... B/O turned the bus back on and continued driving like nothing happened. I wonder what causes that to happen? The same thing happened to me on a CAS MCI on the X10 a while back.

Also, why do they designed the rear doors on buses where, if someone tries to open it while the bus is in motion, the bus comes to a compete halt? I can see the logic on a Light Rail or Subway/railroad car, which operate on a ROW where there are no cars...

But a bus shares the road with other vehicles! What if the bus is being tailgated by a 18 wheeler and some buffon leans on it too hard causing the bus to stop and get hit by a truck smh. If someone is stupid enough to lean on the rear door while the bus is in motion, then there dumbass deserves to fall out of the bus.

Today I rode a C40LF where the bus just randomly shut off... B/O turned the bus back on and continued driving like nothing happened. I wonder what causes that to happen? The same thing happened to me on a CAS MCI on the X10 a while back.

Also, why do they designed the rear doors on buses where, if someone tries to open it while the bus is in motion, the bus comes to a compete halt? I can see the logic on a Light Rail or Subway/railroad car, which operate on a ROW where there are no cars...

But a bus shares the road with other vehicles! What if the bus is being tailgated by a 18 wheeler and some buffon leans on it too hard causing the bus to stop and get hit by a truck smh. If someone is stupid enough to lean on the rear door while the bus is in motion, then there dumbass deserves to fall out of the bus.

... and have their relatives sue the MTA for millions due to wrongful death after they get run over by multiple cars in the next lane?

Enough of your "if people are stupid enough to do this, then the MTA should let them kill themselves" attitude. If the MTA does that then they're liable for whatever happens to the passenger because they didn't have any safety measures. Plus there's many times when a bus becomes so packed that someone could easily be accidentally shoved into the door when the bus is making a turn?

... and have their relatives sue the MTA for millions due to wrongful death after they get run over by multiple cars in the next lane?

Enough of your "if people are stupid enough to do this, then the MTA should let them kill themselves" attitude. If the MTA does that then they're liable for whatever happens to the passenger because they didn't have any safety measures. Plus there's many times when a bus becomes so packed that someone could easily be accidentally shoved into the door when the bus is making a turn?

The rear doors are closed, its not as easy to open them when the driver is at a stop, and open's them. But it is possible to open the rear doors while the bus is moving, I've seen it happen twice and it caused the bus to stop like a EB. And the current way more people would get hurt, esp if the bus is SRO, as they would all fall down, and the bus itself would probably get rear ended by another vehicle...

Even though the bus stopping suddenly feature is in place, if they fall outside they still would get hit by multiple cars.

I wish the MTA would go HAM with PSA ads about this like they do with the "Watch the Gap" and "Don't subway surf"

Edited by trainfan22

That actually happened too when I was on an Orion V CNG about 3 years ago. The B/O was waiting on the red light then the bus shut off. The B/O looked at the dash for a few seconds then he turned the bus back on. I also wonder why this happens.

Since this past Friday, I've been getting a O-V CNG on my AM commute every day (Except for Tuesday when it was a C40LF) I'm lovin it! I'd never thought I say this but I think I have the GOAT bus commute now lol.

I hope the B/O that drives the run I ride every morning takes a Orion V for his run up until the new C40LF comes to Gleason and retires them.

These HF CNGs are so nice and roomy, a lot less drama than with the low floors.

My only issue is, why do most of the V CNGs in JG, the engine makes that death tick noise? :confused:

For those of you who ride these buses on WF/CP routes, is this sound common on the V CNGs in those depots?

Its slimar to the bus in this video (Not my recording or video)

...Also, why do they designed the rear doors on buses where, if someone tries to open it while the bus is in motion, the bus comes to a compete halt? I can see the logic on a Light Rail or Subway/railroad car, which operate on a ROW where there are no cars...

Its called the interlock

Once upon a time a long time ago, the back doors would open on buses while the it was moving a lot and falling out the bus was easy. So in the late 70s (or 80s, I forgot the 1st model they used it on), they started designing out buses where if you hit the back door hared enough, the whole thing would grind to a halt (much like the e-brakes on the subway).

While the interlock is engaged on a bus for any reason (back door open, wheelchair lift engaged, kneeler lowered, front door open on the MCIs, etc...) The bus will not move until the interlock is removed by a simple pump on the brakes.

Rode 1636 on the N32 yesterday. I knew about the John Deere engine, and it sounded great and was strong enough to really move the bus, but there was a cop car near Cornwell Avenue and the eponymous elementary school. An NCPD officer waited for the bus operator and stood on the sidewalk, explaining that "two others came through," but he didn't know if they made it through or not. While the bus operator had no problem getting through the streets, I noticed that the brakes sounded different and were noisier, like the brakes they use on the NGs. Even worse was that because there was so much traffic trying to get through those tight streets, he was on the brakes every 3-5 seconds. After 10 minutes of snaking through one of the better off parts of West Hempstead, the bus operator got to Cornwell Avenue and turned back onto Hempstead Avenue.

And I saw it again when I was coming home on the N25. I just wish they'd fix the transmission. I haven't heard it with a good tranny in over a year.

Never been a fan of the Orion CNGs because of how they looked and the seats were too low if you wanted to look out the window. However despite all that, #7746 from West Farms is a bus I really like.. It sounds completely different compared to it's other CNG buses, must be a different engine maybe. Anyone can tell me why that is the only bus that sounds different when it accelerates?

Never been a fan of the Orion CNGs because of how they looked and the seats were too low if you wanted to look out the window. However despite all that, #7746 from West Farms is a bus I really like.. It sounds completely different compared to it's other CNG buses, must be a different engine maybe. Anyone can tell me why that is the only bus that sounds different when it accelerates?

Engine change!