BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spotted 4543 (from GA) on 126th in Manhattan as a training bus...since when do they do operator training so far away from a buses home depot?? If it were an RTS and these were newbies fresh off the street, I would understand. But they don't train newbies on anything but an RTS because RTS's are the only buses that have trolly brake hook ups (on some of them at least).

Just spotted 4543 (from GA) on 126th in Manhattan as a training bus...since when do they do operator training so far away from a buses home depot?? If it were an RTS and these were newbies fresh off the street, I would understand. But they don't train newbies on anything but an RTS because RTS's are the only buses that have trolly brake hook ups (on some of them at least).

Not quite true. 4373 from my depot was retrofitted with the trolley brake set up and from what I've heard from the new guys at the depot is that they did their 7 day training on hybrids.

They started training on the NGs now for 7-day basics. And yeah, they take you wherever in the city. I trained from Brooklyn, all the way into Queens (near Long Island), to Manhattan.

What you were probably spotting out is folks doing their moderate-to-heavy traffic training in upper Manhattan; the next day you're training in heavy heavy traffic in Lower Manhattan. Don't be surprised if you see these buses though... It's training.

They started training on the NGs now for 7-day basics. And yeah, they take you wherever in the city. I trained from Brooklyn, all the way into Queens (near Long Island), to Manhattan.

What you were probably spotting out is folks doing their moderate-to-heavy traffic training in upper Manhattan; the next day you're training in heavy heavy traffic in Lower Manhattan. Don't be surprised if you see these buses though... It's training.

Kind of sucks they get it easy now. Only thing is if they ever drive an RTS they are gonna be mounting curbs like crazy and panicking because there's no convex mirror on the right side lol

Edited by youngblaze

Kind of sucks they get it easy now. Only thing is if they ever drive an RTS they are gonna be mounting curbs like crazy and panicking because there's no convex mirror on the right side lol

Some of the RTS don't have that convex mirror, but most have the "circle" convex, which is better than nothing.

I trained without the convex mirror so it comes easy, especially when you're covering your right side all times.

That's so messed up. When I got my 5 day driver training (yes in maintenance we only get 5 days) it was with an RTS. I had sweat pouring down my head as I tried to adjust the curb side mirror almost everyday. And we always had a different bus.So one day he seat was fine and I could adjust it to where I needed it. The next day, we would have an RTS with an MCI seat that wouldn't go al the way back. So I had to drive with the seat height so far up that I was pretty much looking at the road through the top of the windshield. The the rooks will never know that pain LOL

That's so messed up. When I got my 5 day driver training (yes in maintenance we only get 5 days) it was with an RTS. I had sweat pouring down my head as I tried to adjust the curb side mirror almost everyday. And we always had a different bus.So one day he seat was fine and I could adjust it to where I needed it. The next day, we would have an RTS with an MCI seat that wouldn't go al the way back. So I had to drive with the seat height so far up that I was pretty much looking at the road through the top of the windshield. The the rooks will never know that pain LOL

LOL... I don't even see RTS's anymore used for training. I saw an artic (one of the LFSAs) in the Bronx being used by the Major Deegan this morning while on the BxM2 and the other training buses I've seen have usually been NGs. Haven't saw an RTS used as a training bus since sometime last year I think.

No wonder the QM22 was cut. I thought it had more service than these it actually had.

But just two trips in each direction?!

It can't be an error, can it?

The Triboro Coach schedule:

http://www.triborocoach.com/summer2003pdfs/QM22%209_02_01%20e.pdf

The MTA schedule:

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm022cur.pdf

Nope, it was just 2 trips in each direction. I mean, the areas it went through were relatively close to (multiple) subway lines. (You could make your way to the QBL or the Astoria Line). Plus, the areas along 21st Street weren't really the type of areas where a lot of people would be looking for express bus service.

Nope, it was just 2 trips in each direction. I mean, the areas it went through were relatively close to (multiple) subway lines. (You could make your way to the QBL or the Astoria Line). Plus, the areas along 21st Street weren't really the type of areas where a lot of people would be looking for express bus service.

That's what I wrote :).

That is true. You have the Astoria line the west, the Flushing and Queens Blvd. lines to the south. You can either take the Q69 to Ditmars or the Q47 to 74th Street. From seeing the two trips in each direction the QM22 had, it seems to me that private operator chose the wrong route to operate.

Well I trained on an RTS out of Flatbush for 7-day training.

#9618 & #9655 - both were different seating, but was able to adjust.

9618 had a short right, so we had to start turns early on it, etc.

They got it easy these days.

Speaking of 9618, saw that one in training along the Van Wyck a day or two ago.

I'm not that much of a fan of the Orion VII CNGs (big, slow and chokes a lot), but this 7610 is a good one. Transmission singing a good tune from first to second and from lockup to third. The overdrive on this bus is nothing to mess with.

This one gets my approval

I have a random thought to ask...how does the MTA choose if a bus is good for the city? because i read about these extra C40LFs for MTA bus thats set to replace the Orion VII 3G CNG order. and some people want the C40LFRs and some want the C40LFs. But they say that the C40LFR is not approved for city streets? im confused on how the different face is important.

I have a random thought to ask...how does the MTA choose if a bus is good for the city? because i read about these extra C40LFs for MTA bus thats set to replace the Orion VII 3G CNG order. and some people want the C40LFRs and some want the C40LFs. But they say that the C40LFR is not approved for city streets? im confused on how the different face is important.

Basically all new buses have to go through a very rigirous testing before MTA makes their decision

Formally called the BT&E now called the NBQP if you go into the Sub-Forum under BT&E read the first Sticky post if thats what your looking for

No wonder the QM22 was cut. I thought it had more service than these it actually had.

But just two trips in each direction?!

It can't be an error, can it?

@ GojiMet... yeah, with the way Astoria complains, they'd have you think that.... lol...

@ the both of you..... That was the problem with that route - the other areas it ran through made no sense to try to garner ridership from..... It would be like running an express route from Red Hook (or even Park slope) to Battery Park City or something.... Astoria is too proximate to Manhattan to have had express buses running to/from in the first place, even if it were 4 trips/day..... Worse, they complain about wanting the W back on top of it, even though they got the N & the Q......

Anyway, it's (talkin about the QM22) the same reason the QM3 gets little usage along those EB stops w/i Jackson hgts & corona....

For some reason I see so many fresh pond and LGA buses deadhead along Eliot. Where do those buses go

I've seen FP buses DH-ing along eliot.... those be Q58's DH-ing out to flushing.....

the LGA buses, I don't know....