BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are student metrocards valid on NICE/Bee-Line? Were they valid on LIB when they were still around?

Actually, they did have some sort of seperate Student MetroCard for Nassau County, but the discount (for lack of a better term) was very small. I think instead of paying $2.25, they paid $1.80.

I think for Bee Line, they might actually have Student MetroCards, because I remember an article talking about schools in Yonkers, and the kids were showing their Student MetroCards. (But they probably only use them in areas where there's good transit like Yonkers, White Plains, etc).

Actually, they did have some sort of seperate Student MetroCard for Nassau County, but the discount (for lack of a better term) was very small. I think instead of paying $2.25, they paid $1.80.

I think for Bee Line, they might actually have Student MetroCards, because I remember an article talking about schools in Yonkers, and the kids were showing their Student MetroCards. (But they probably only use them in areas where there's good transit like Yonkers, White Plains, etc).

I'm referring to if NYC Student Metrocards are valid on Bee-Line.

Just passed 6862 in a fresh coat of paint back alive on the Q32. Looks like a new bus, good to see that one in service.

That M5 artic madness I gotta see for myself, that's the one MHV line that never sees put-ins from other depots, let alone artics. Very odd.

Edited by MHV9218

Just passed 6862 in a fresh coat of paint back alive on the Q32. Looks like a new bus, good to see that one in service.

That M5 artic madness I gotta see for myself, that's the one MHV line that never sees put-ins from other depots, let alone artics. Very odd.

Damn, I would love to see a photo of #6862!

Don't think so. It was still at Quill when those photos were taken, the run was an x-piece so it wasn't regular service, and supposedly there's extra service running on the M5 way downtown so that could explain it. Lights are on as well, and it wouldn't make sense for an M15 deadhead to take Broadway either.

I'm referring to if NYC Student Metrocards are valid on Bee-Line.

In that case, I would assume no. (Even though if you live near the Boston Road corridor, the only routes nearby are the Bee Line routes)

Apparently, this only applies to Yonkers, and the cards are only valid in certain parts of the city (though for simplicity's sake, they might just make it valid on any route that goes to Yonkers, since students can attend HS anywhere in the city). http://www.yonkerspublicschools.org/transportation.php

In that case, I would assume no. (Even though if you live near the Boston Road corridor, the only routes nearby are the Bee Line routes)

Apparently, this only applies to Yonkers, and the cards are only valid in certain parts of the city (though for simplicity's sake, they might just make it valid on any route that goes to Yonkers, since students can attend HS anywhere in the city). http://www.yonkerspu...nsportation.php

If the student is $50.00, I'd probably just go for the unlimited.

Mind you currently where I live the D.O.E./district don't offer you anything, so I by our version of the unlimited, which is $40.00.

Edited by Turbo19

Guest MTA Bus

Well, yesterday was interesting. At Howard Beach - JFK, I saw 903 doing the (A) Shuttle. I also saw 945 doing the (A) shuttle as well. The MTA basically put any bus they could get from Brooklyn and Queens. There were XD40s, OGs, and a ton of LFSAs. I also saw 491 and 163 on the Q22.

If the student is $50.00, I'd probably just go for the unlimited.

Mind you currently where I live the D.O.E./district don't offer you anything, so I by our version of the unlimited, which is $40.00.

Well, keep in mind that you get it for free if you're low-income. (I don't know what the guidelines are, though). Maybe they do it based on free lunch.

But yeah, I guess it depends how much traveling you do. 104 - 50 = 54, and 54/2.10 means you need to make 26 non school-related trips per month for it to be worth it.

Well, keep in mind that you get it for free if you're low-income. (I don't know what the guidelines are, though). Maybe they do it based on free lunch.

I'm not going into the details of the income of my family and I, but I leave it at this. On occasion we barely make ends meet, but apparently we don't qualify for any financial assistance programs. Which might explain why I'm such a tightwad, but whatever.

But yeah, I guess it depends how much traveling you do. 104 - 50 = 54, and 54/2.10 means you need to make 26 non school-related trips per month for it to be worth it.

I do that each month, sometimes triple that.

I'm not going into the details of the income of my family and I, but I leave it at this. On occasion we barely make ends meet, but apparently we don't qualify for any financial assistance programs. Which might explain why I'm such a tightwad, but whatever.

I do that each month, sometimes triple that.

Well, with me, a lot of times, I try to squeeze in extra trips by using the transfers and everything (here, the Student MetroCards get 3 trips per day, with a few special MetroCards that get 4, or are valid on the weekends if you play a sport or something). So I had a few after-school activities that didn’t qualify for extra trips, so I would do something like take the S46 going one way, and the S44 or S48 going the other way. But of course, out in California (unless you’re right in a big city), it’s harder to do that since the routes are spaced further apart and run less frequently. So I could squeeze in a a few extra trips here and there.

Well, with the free lunch, the restrictions are somewhat high (At 185% of the poverty line, you still qualify for reduced lunch), so the threshold isn’t as low compared to applying for say, food stamps, where you have to be right at the poverty line, so it is possible that you would qualify for a free MetroCard if you lived in Yonkers. (Obviously, it’s none of anybody’s business, but for your own curiosity, you could check it out).

On a side note, some of those free lunch statistics seem off (as everybody knows, I like looking at different stats). For instance, at my school, it’s listed as having a 44% free/reduced lunch rate, but for the surrounding elementary & middle schools, the rate is at least 70-80% (which is right around the citywide average). So apparently the students’ families get significantly wealthier once the kids hit high school (which obviously isn’t the case. Somebody must’ve fudged the stats for the high schools). The funny thing is in the suburbs out on Long Island and everything, the average free/reduced lunch rate is something like 10%, so there’s probably more fraud in the big cities that they’re letting slide (because a lot of big city districts like Chicago, LA, etc) have similar rates. I mean, the rate for NYC is comparable to the rate in Camden, NJ, which is one of the poorest cities in the country, so something’s definitely off on that.

But back to topic (well, not really because this is the bus random thoughts thread). :P

I was waiting for the S59 at Port Richmond earlier this afternoon. The 3:30 trip never showed up, and the 3:45 came almost 15 minutes late, but I still made my destination and the ride wasn't too slow.

I also ran into one of my Castleton B/O friends while waiting for the S59.

Personally, whenever I'm in Port Richmond, I try to give myself the option of another bus. Either by walking directly down to their shared stop at Clinton Street (or Port Richmond & Post and looking in both directions), or taking the S46/96 to the S89/94 if it's during rush hour. I don't like the stint along Forest with the traffic and lights, and I get more frequent service the other way, with the combined headways and whatnot.

The school trippers today were reeeaallly late. They're supposed to leave 10 minutes after school gets out (they're also supposed to be there when school gets out, but that's not really mandated.), and by that time only one had shown up. The other three ended showing up about five minutes later. (But I didn't care because that particular day, being the first day I was back upstate, I hung out with my friends and there being snow on the ground, ya know, snowball fights and whatnot) and then the big tripper (the one that carries 30+ kids) shows up 20 minutes after school ends. If it wasn't for the fact that all 13's have to bypass the school before the tripper leaves, everyone would've walked or taken a different bus. (Alot of people actually did, there were actually a few seats left today, and this was on a suburban.)