BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goes to show you how much of a beating the Orion VII 3Gs and XD40s went through so far

I ride these two types of buses A LOT, since i ride the S52/S53, and B1/B36 frequently. 

For those asking how the buses are doing? These are some things i see riding the bus, of course...lots of bad things are happening.

Orion VII 3G

(i'll start from exterior of bus, to the inside) front to back

Buses are holding up in staten island.

Lots of buses are starting to have lots of sideswipes. 

stop request signs are showing just red light (no letters) 

the GPS boxes are rattling a lot

the A/Cs sometimes leak water on the left side over the single seats. 

the buses are getting tagged really bad. mainly in the back behind the high seat. some of the grip bars on the headrest of the seats are missing. 

some buses are having problems switching into gears.

A/C works good, heat works good. 

New Flyer XD40

pull cords stay broken (or look like a tangled rope)

seats are always vibrating hard....

the roofs have lots of cracks and pieces hanging. 

lots of rattling

If you've seen 4838....you'd be disgusted. The bottom of the base white paint is 20% off....

The 3Gs have been maintained pretty well since Castleton got a new GS and Maintenance supervisor, same for Charleston(with the exception of some since Yukon demolished a number of their buses). 

It's not their order. They have a separate order coming up. Don't get tight like the MTA is holding out on MTAB, it's just funding. Honestly though, with the way along of MTAB depots treat buses, it's almost unfair to send them things.

How are the c40lfs holding up at CP and sc?

I do agree that it seems FR/JFK and LGA still haven't changed much. smh. I'd just dump the NYCT OGs (convert them to diesel) and be done with them. If they aren't going to change, then keep giving them the 2nd hand stuff.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I saw 6348 on the B38 yesterday as well. At first I thought it was a FP bus since I saw 3996 on the B38 thinking it was a FP route, then found ut later that the route was split between the two depots.

Oh, and I see the Orion V CNGs are back. Seems like these buses will never die :P .

If anyone's interested, the B32 is sharing the same stop as the B62/Q59 stop at Willamsburg Terminal. I'm there right now.

Called it...

so it will terminate outside on broadway and robeling?

Yeah. It'll drop people off inside the back of the terminal and layover there. Once its time to go, it'll leave the terminal and pickup from the stop outside the terminal

Man these Allison Xcelsiors have some of the best sound affects for a bus on this planet!

play this video from 3:05-3:40.....im waiting for an MTA xcelsior to sound like that...

The video shows how a XN40 sounds which is a CNG version of the Xcelsior. We have the XD40's which are diesel-powered.

The video shows how a XN40 sounds which is a CNG version of the Xcelsior. We have the XD40's which are diesel-powered.

Wooooowwww.....I mean thanks for explaining... but I clearly know that. I am the Xcelsior boii

Also, even though one is CnG and the other it's diesel. a Allison with no LBSS still sounds the same in terms of shifting

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

It's northbound. Shouldn't it be an even number like 4672 or 4674?

You're absolutely right, got the directions mixed up lol.

...but the problem is that 4672 is used (7 Av-9 St), and 4674 is used (7 Av-18 St). So it might use 4676 or maybe replace one of those 2 codes