BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to sound rude but what is the issue with the QM15 above? I don't see anything wrong immediately.

Too many QM15's... They don't run that frequently to have that many running that closely together.

There is one qm15 running very late, the rest are far enough from each other that it could be normal if traffic was screwy. It's not the worst I've seen. Also you have to sometimes keep and eye on the two buses, I've seen the same exact bus number a couple of times but the icons were a few blocks apart. Probably a glitch and the bus was further ahead and the system was just stuck. So that 2nd bus going into the city could be the same bus. Or one is really late, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Seems to me they are running a little late enough to show them 8 buses on the map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by petabread

There is one qm15 running very late, the rest are far enough from each other that it could be normal if traffic was screwy. It's not the worst I've seen. Also you have to sometimes keep and eye on the two buses, I've seen the same exact bus number a couple of times but the icons were a few blocks apart. Probably a glitch and the bus was further ahead and the system was just stuck. So that 2nd bus going into the city could be the same bus. Or one is really late, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Seems to me they are running a little late enough to show them 8 buses on the map. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's probably the case.  I sometimes forget how terrible traffic can get along 6th Avenue because I rarely use the BxM2 during the heart of rush hour since the BxM18 is much quicker at night, but even after the rush (circa 20:00 - 21:00) traffic can be a mess in the city at times.  The BxM1 is also fairly reliable and quick along 3rd at night, especially the ones that skip Inwood, which I usually try to get if I'm on the East Side.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah that's probably the case.  I sometimes forget how terrible traffic can get along 6th Avenue because I rarely use the BxM2 during the heart of rush hour since the BxM18 is much quicker at night, but even after the rush (circa 20:00 - 21:00) traffic can be a mess in the city at times.  The BxM1 is also fairly reliable and quick along 3rd at night, especially the ones that skip Inwood, which I usually try to get if I'm on the East Side.

The trip along the highway to Inwood is less than 10 minutes(i've timed it), while the trip along the highway to 231st is 5-10 minutes longer(also timed it). It really is only a difference of 2 stops(207th and 219th) and that is if people even get off there. If they don't, it's usually fairly similar time-wise. 

The trip along the highway to Inwood is less than 10 minutes(i've timed it), while the trip along the highway to 231st is 5-10 minutes longer(also timed it). It really is only a difference of 2 stops(207th and 219th) and that is if people even get off there. If they don't, it's usually fairly similar time-wise. 

The thing is that if some trips are empty enough with no one getting off in Spuyten Duyvil, the express bus will skip Spuyten Duyvil entirely and take Riverdale Avenue up to 239th or drop anywhere along the way which is even quicker.  I've done it a few times with BxM2's and BxM18's, as well as with Inwood BxM1's that bypassed Inwood because no one was getting off there, so it makes for an even quicker trip.  It all depends on how seasoned and fast the driver is.

There is one qm15 running very late, the rest are far enough from each other that it could be normal if traffic was screwy. It's not the worst I've seen. Also you have to sometimes keep and eye on the two buses, I've seen the same exact bus number a couple of times but the icons were a few blocks apart. Probably a glitch and the bus was further ahead and the system was just stuck. So that 2nd bus going into the city could be the same bus. Or one is really late, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Seems to me they are running a little late enough to show them 8 buses on the map. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope

Original (From Yesterday)

14275366218_45fe03e016_b.jpgWe have a QM15 problem by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

5 minutes later

14282452809_5b0d22a095_b.jpgWe have a QM15 problem by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

Compare & Contrast (although by then the bunching to Queens has gotten worse)

In any case, both QM15's going to Manhattan are late, the one in front though is only 70 minutes behind.

The QM15 to Manhattan runs every 60 minutes until 6 PM.

Are there any chances of Prevosts getting to queens depots/Spring Creek. I was talking to a BM3 B/O recently who said "they are on thier way" Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There are new Express Buses slated for MTA Bus, the contract has not been awarded yet, so we'll have to wait and see.

Are there any chances of Prevosts getting to queens depots/Spring Creek. I was talking to a BM3 B/O recently who said "they are on thier way" Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I don't see why Spring Creek needs any at this point or (MTA) Bus depot for that matter.  Most of their buses are from 2004 and up... Barely 10 years old and any buses that they have from NYCT could be scrapped.  The only way they would get any is if they're short on buses. Most (MTA) Bus express buses that are 7+ years old are going in for their rehab.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I don't see why Spring Creek needs any at this point or (MTA) Bus depot for that matter.  Most of their buses are from 2004 and up... Barely 10 years old and any buses that they have from NYCT could be scrapped.  The only way they would get any is if they're short on buses. Most (MTA) Bus express buses that are 7+ years old are going in for their rehab.

They have those 5 from 1999, you know.

We have a problem...

** two screenshots **

by BM5 via Woodhaven, on Flickr

I'm with Petabread on this.... I've seen 3 buses running together on the QM15.....

I've been saying on here that QM15's during the PM hour bunch like hell..... Seen evidence of it too many times while taking the QM16.... Back to back buses (meaning, 2) running together by time it hits Queens is not rare; I'd almost say it's rather common..... One bus is jammed packed (w/ people standing... yup), with the other about maybe a 1/3rd to 1/4 full.....

There is one qm15 running very late, the rest are far enough from each other that it could be normal if traffic was screwy. It's not the worst I've seen. Also you have to sometimes keep and eye on the two buses, I've seen the same exact bus number a couple of times but the icons were a few blocks apart. Probably a glitch and the bus was further ahead and the system was just stuck. So that 2nd bus going into the city could be the same bus. Or one is really late, which isn't out of the realm of possibilities. Seems to me they are running a little late enough to show them 8 buses on the map.

Same here... worst I've seen was one time coming home via the QM16, there were 2 pairs of buses (Qm15's) that were about 5 mins apart (meaning 4 buses w/i a ~5 min. span)....

This was also the same day that I just missed my "normal" QM16; was about to walk over to 34th st subway (herald sq), when I see a 2nd QM16 making that right turn off 34th.... And I was like yeah, this is one of those days.... So I made a bee line back over to 38th & caught the bus..... Usually, the 17 comes before the 16, and while I was initially waiting @ the stop that day, no 17 showed... Which to me meant either that 17 was early (that might have arrived before the first 16 I had missed), or those last two 17 trips of the day bunched also (the last 16 trip arrived before the last 17 trip... I don't know how things are now, but I doubt that's changed, since there is more demand for the 17)....

Edited by B35 via Church

I'm with Petabread on this.... I've seen 3 buses running together on the QM15.....

I've been saying on here that QM15's during the PM hour bunch like hell..... Seen evidence of it too many times while taking the QM16.... Back to back buses (meaning, 2) running together by time it hits Queens is not rare; I'd almost say it's rather common..... One bus is jammed packed (w/ people standing... yup), with the other about maybe a 1/3rd to 1/4 full.....

Same here... worst I've seen was one time coming home via the QM16, there were 2 pairs of buses (Qm15's) that were about 5 mins apart (meaning 4 buses w/i a ~5 min. span)....

This was also the same day that I just missed my "normal" QM16; was about to walk over to 34th st subway (herald sq), when I see a 2nd QM16 making that right turn off 34th.... And I was like yeah, this is one of those days.... So I made a bee line back over to 38th & caught the bus..... Usually, the 17 comes before the 16, and while I was initially waiting @ the stop that day, no 17 showed... Which to me meant either that 17 was early (that might have arrived before the first 16 I had missed), or those last two 17 trips of the day bunched also (the last 16 trip arrived before the last 17 trip... I don't know how things are now, but I doubt that's changed, since there is more demand for the 17)....

Well, for the QM15's to Manhattan, given the headways at that time, and they still managed to bunch, comes as a surprise for me. In the peak direction, oh well, happens every day. I don't know how bad it had to be for two buses on 60 minute headways (and the one behind was late as well) to bunch/run close to each other. But then again, I've been on a BM5 arriving a whopping 170 minutes late into Manhattan, so I guess it's understandable.

In other words, the QM24 trip home (or attempt, I should say) was horrible. I left work , and then, I saw that I had time, so I went and got me a snack. Then came back, took some pictures on that block (missed the QM24 as I was coming from the place). There was still enough time to wait 30 minutes before my transfer expires. I waited, however, it was just pure Murphy's law. I ended up taking the QM18 to 63 Drive and walking home. The 24 later caught up in Queens empty. I came from the QM20 after finishing a small errand which was work related, and went back. My transfer was going to expire at 5:48 PM, and the time was 5:45 PM. The QM24 should've passed 7 minutes ago at the time. So, I said I would take any bus which arrives at 6 Avenue and 38th first, the QM10, QM12, QM15, QM18, or QM24 (the 12 though from my house is a long walk, the 18 follows afterward). I see a buses tunring, and thought it was the 24, turned out to be the 18. I'm about to get on, and see another bus turning from 34th, couldn't see it, and thought it was a 10, or 12, but I thought that whatever bus that was wouldn't get to the stop in time. Turned out to be the 24.

Thursday, the 3:00 PM never showed up at 3:04 (it was 10 minutes late). I saw the QM15 towards 57 st, a good 24 minutes late, and boarded. By radio city, it just rushes by, completely empty as well. That ruined my whole day. Since I I had another transfer, I said, lemme be a lazy bum and get off at 63 Drived instead of Dry Harbor, and take the Q38. I caught the Q38, did the loop, and it brakes down near Old Faith Cementary (on 65 Street and Eliot Avenue).

This is why I prefer the 3rd Avenue QM24 by a long shot. I would catch it on the first stop, and it would only be a couple of minutes late. I wouldn't care what happens after, I got my seat, and used up my transfer.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven