BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... No we don't need older buses (especially not hand-me-downs from Staten Island)... We've had enough problems with  breakdowns of late as it is.

Well, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

They'll only run it rush hours when it gets to Bus Company territory (unless it's at SC, they'll run it at any time on weekdays).

@BM5 what about the ones at UP

Di you think they will be around until the end of the summer I wanna fan then

2131 is on the BM2 on 5th Avenue in the 50's, 7427 left 2 minutes ago. You might wanna try catching those somehwere in Brooklyn or somewhere in Lower Manhattan if you are nearby.

Also, wtf at the B35 Limited running times (1:00 PM to 7:15PM, 11:58 AM, to 6:17 PM??)

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Well, just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

They'll only run it rush hours when it gets to Bus Company territory (unless it's at SC, they'll run it at any time on weekdays).

Really? From my observations they generally try to run the newer buses on Saturdays to avoid breakdowns, given that all BM's only run hourly on weekends.

Who's we? You're not a driver  :P

Yes we... I still have "nightmares" of those buses on Staten Island... I laugh now but on days like this, there was NO A/C and we would cook on those buses... I honestly don't know how those guys drove those buses in such conditions because most of us were on the verge of passing out from the lack of ventilation even with the emergency exits on the roof of the buses open.  Often times it was the last bus of the night on the X14 or X30, so it was either hope that the B/O drove like hell and didn't get stuck in traffic, or wait for another bus and take car service once I got on Staten Island, which meant a much longer equally miserable commute just minus the being cooked part... lol

1. Really? From my observations they generally try to run the newer buses on Saturdays to avoid breakdowns, given that all BM's only run hourly on weekends.

2. Yes we... I still have "nightmares" of those buses on Staten Island... I laugh now but on days like this, there was NO A/C and we would cook on those buses... I honestly don't know how those guys drove those buses in such conditions because most of us were on the verge of passing out from the lack of ventilation even with the emergency exits on the roof of the buses open.  Often times it was the last bus of the night on the X14 or X30, so it was either hope that the B/O drove like hell and didn't get stuck in traffic, or wait for another bus and take car service once I got on Staten Island, which meant a much longer equally miserable commute just minus the being cooked part... lol

1. Yeah, I noticed that too, the CT's are getting used more on Saturday (good, I was getting bored of seeing nothing but CL's on Woodhaven all Saturday, it's bad enough the QM15 is all CL). 

2. Well, that's because of Staten Island maintenance in part. Other parts have better maintenance, and use them as rush hour or midday buses.

Lol those days were bad enough waiting forever just to catch a bus that you wasn't sure if it was going to show up at all. I'm surprised they didn't get rid of weekend service on the BM4, and BM5. It's like they are forcing more people to use the B100 and B103 to the train because those two routes saw some big improvements after the takeover.

lol... Calm down and re-read the schedule...

Read it 6 times to make sure, don't see why 2 BM1's to Mill Basin departed from 57 Street before 12 PM (the first one leaves at 11 AM).

Lol those days were bad enough waiting forever just to catch a bus that you wasn't sure if it was going to show up at all. I'm surprised they didn't get rid of weekend service on the BM4, and BM5. It's like they are forcing more people to use the B100 and B103 to the train because those two routes saw some big improvements after the takeover.

Why would they get rid of weekend BM5 service? It runs as a coverage service, just like the other coverage services (BxM4, BM4, QM4, QM6). Sure, the BM4 service could get the axe I guess on off peak service, but BM5 ridership is slightly higher then others based on a proportionate amount of runs and hours ran.

The way the MTA keeps getting rid of the weekend runs they might make the BM5 a rush hour weekday only route. What concerns me is what will happen when the MTA fully owns all MTA bus routes and the city no longer reimburses them. The (MTA) will most likely get rid of routes with low performance (BM4,BM5 weekend) and duplicates routes such as the Q21.

Read it 6 times to make sure, don't see why 2 BM1's to Mill Basin departed from 57 Street before 12 PM (the first one leaves at 11 AM).

Yeah probably because someone left early or one of those buses weren't really a BM1.  I've seen it in the past where for whatever reason there were buses showing up on BusTime on certain routes that really weren't on those routes.  

Yeah probably because someone left early or one of those buses weren't really a BM1.  I've seen it in the past where for whatever reason there were buses showing up on BusTime on certain routes that really weren't on those routes.  

Yeah, but to leave a whopping 40 minutes early? Sounds off, could be another route, but didn't get the chance to track it down to the end.

The way the MTA keeps getting rid of the weekend runs they might make the BM5 a rush hour weekday only route. What concerns me is what will happen when the MTA fully owns all MTA bus routes and the city no longer reimburses them. The (MTA) will most likely get rid of routes with low performance (BM4,BM5 weekend) and duplicates routes such as the Q21.

There are several bus lines which preform worse than the BM5 during weekend hours & weekdays (IN proportion).

(In No Particular Order)

BxM4, BM4, QM4, 

On Weekdays:

BxM4, BxM6, QM1, QM4. 

The BM5 is not becoming a rush hour route anytime soon. Believe it or not, but ridership is actually increasing during midday hours (although overall ridership has dropped). Ridership also fluctuates on all trips to the city after 9 AM. You get different loads each time.

The Q21 isn't leaving also, keep in mind that the Q21 is placed in time with the Q11,

In Lindenwood , there is far less demand for Jamaica, than north of Cross Bay. Now, if the MTA wanted to use the least amount of buses serving Lindenwood, they would've just made the Q41 terminate at Rockaway Blvd (since there are more Q41's), and let the Q21 do all the work, in conjunction with a increased Q11 headway (all those short turns would just become Q21's to Howard Beach). Runtime would still be shorter, as the Q21 takes 40 minutes end to end, whereas the Q41 takes 50 (on a regular weekday). Less buses south of Rockaway, and your problem is "fixed".

I was wondering is this considered selling a swipe if someone asks me to swipe them in and pays me the 2.50 or less

I also have another question there is a random lot housing express bus mid day in long island city that could be seen from the (7) is that a depot or is that like a layover lot where B/O's park midday

I was wondering is this considered selling a swipe if someone asks me to swipe them in and pays me the 2.50 or less

It is technically but hey who is the (MTA) to tell me what I can do with my Metrocard? I never do it on the subway, and never would since there are plenty of machines around, but areas without subway service have limited places to get Metrocards, so I make an exception when people ask on the express bus.  My neighborhood has one store and they are generally out, which means the only way I could refill or get a new card is to go all the way to 242nd street and Broadway and hope that the machines work there (often times they don't all work).  Recently I heard that another store started selling Metrocards down in Spuyten Duyvil near Kappock St. and Knolls Crescent, which is also a schlepp.  Furthermore, they only $10.00 cards, which do nothing for me since I need a weekly Express Bus Plus Metrocard.  If I dip my Metrocard for anybody, even if I have an unlimited express bus pass, they are paying me and if they don't have the exact change, well too friggin' bad.  I was in Woodlawn a few months ago.  Got on the BxM4 at Katonah and 242nd with a B/O that I know, as I was coming from Westchester.  I dipped my card and sat down, and we started chatting and playing catch up since I hadn't seen him in a while, as he was waiting for the arrival time to take off.  Out of nowhere, this lady comes over asking where the bus went and talking about how she needed to get to the city.  The B/O stated that the fare was $6.00.  She had a regular unlimited card which could not be used on the express bus and no change. She had a $10.00 on her and I told her I could not make change for that, so she agreed to pay me the $10.00 so that I could dip for her which is precisely what I did.  She was desperate to get back to Manhattan quickly and had no clue where she was as she was apparently trying to serve some sort of papers on someone in Woodlawn, and so she paid. Quite frankly if she only had a $20.00 I think she would've given me that, and I would've taken it just the same.  :lol:  I don't really like dipping for people, but on the express bus I understand, so if they ask I will agree to dip for them and they give me the cash that they have.  If it's $10.00 or $20.00 I keep it. I am not a token booth clerk so I don't have time for that making change nonsense. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I also have another question there is a random lot housing express bus mid day in long island city that could be seen from the (7) is that a depot or is that like a layover lot where B/O's park midday

Yeah that's Queens Village's express bus lot; they store buses there throughout the day, and use them in the P.M. rush for their express routes.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

There are several bus lines which preform worse than the BM5 during weekend hours & weekdays (IN proportion).

(In No Particular Order)

BxM4, BM4, QM4,

On Weekdays:

BxM4, BxM6, QM1, QM4.

The BM5 is not becoming a rush hour route anytime soon. Believe it or not, but ridership is actually increasing during midday hours (although overall ridership has dropped). Ridership also fluctuates on all trips to the city after 9 AM. You get different loads each time.

The Q21 isn't leaving also, keep in mind that the Q21 is placed in time with the Q11,

In Lindenwood , there is far less demand for Jamaica, than north of Cross Bay. Now, if the MTA wanted to use the least amount of buses serving Lindenwood, they would've just made the Q41 terminate at Rockaway Blvd (since there are more Q41's), and let the Q21 do all the work, in conjunction with a increased Q11 headway (all those short turns would just become Q21's to Howard Beach). Runtime would still be shorter, as the Q21 takes 40 minutes end to end, whereas the Q41 takes 50 (on a regular weekday). Less buses south of Rockaway, and your problem is "fixed".

The QM4 performs better than the BM5. You can tell that the BM5 is struggling if it has to make stop in Queens instead of Brooklyn only. Take away that Queens portion and watch how much it hurts the BM5. In my opinion the QM15 has Woodhaven covered it's just the reliability that needs to be fixed.

The QM4 performs better than the BM5. You can tell that the BM5 is struggling if it has to make stop in Queens instead of Brooklyn only. Take away that Queens portion and watch how much it hurts the BM5. In my opinion the QM15 has Woodhaven covered it's just the reliability that needs to be fixed.

Just leave the BM5 alone. I don't know if you noticed, but ridership actually went up since the BM5 started making stops on both routes. The BM5 didn't see much of an increase, somewhat about 6 riders. I don't know if you noticed but it is the Spring Creek bus for a reason. A good chunk comes from Spring Creek. Queens is only a secondary source of ridership. The BM5 and QM15 serve different (although nearby) corridors in Manhattan. The QM4 does not peform better than the BM5, seeing a helload of one and zero passenger buses doesn't quite tell me it performs better.

Which bus has a less cost per rider, you tell me: a bus with a 50 minute run time with 2 passengers, or one with a 70 minute runtime with 4 passengers.

If I did it right (Per Rider)

Wkday Cost                       Saturday Cost             6 day cost

QM4       $9.73                                  ~ $40.00                     $13.62

BM5       $10.06                                  $36.63                       $13.39

Which is gonna be cut first

Just leave the BM5 alone. I don't know if you noticed, but ridership actually went up since the BM5 started making stops on both routes. The BM5 didn't see much of an increase, somewhat about 6 riders. I don't know if you noticed but it is the Spring Creek bus for a reason. A good chunk comes from Spring Creek. Queens is only a secondary source of ridership. The BM5 and QM15 serve different (although nearby) corridors in Manhattan. The QM4 does not peform better than the BM5, seeing a helload of one and zero passenger buses doesn't quite tell me it performs better.

Which bus has a less cost per rider, you tell me: a bus with a 50 minute run time with 2 passengers, or one with a 70 minute runtime with 4 passengers.

If I did it right (Per Rider)

Wkday Cost                       Saturday Cost             6 day cost

QM4       $9.73                                  ~ $40.00                     $13.62

BM5       $10.06                                  $36.63                       $13.39

Which is gonna be cut first

Well now somebody is obsessed with the BM5... Don't you have access to the QM15 too?