BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I saw a RTS from Jamaica depot on the Q44 last week. I also see many short buses on the 44 also, I thought it's a artic route so why so many short buses?

Although the q44 is now in artic route, it is still pretty common to see short buses on the line. There's usually 1 or 2 every day on that line. As for why ... My guess is when CS got their artics, these artics take up more space than normal 40ft buses, so now they are usually short on buses. So they either A) use short buses on the q44 or B) they get buses from Jamaica which they been doing both recently

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember it took like a week before the xd60 on the q10 could be found on bus time

The LFSA were originally for the q12 and the q44 that's why CS has so many but if I'm correct there problems with turning buses around at the eastern terminal of the q12 and that why we don't see artics on that line. But I am glad they're trying again

So 7370 is in service in the Q28, however it is not showing up on BusTime. Guess there is either no GPS, or is it just not on?

Probably not activated yet

I removed it took like a week before the xd60 on the q10 could be found on bus time

I saw a Nova LFS Artic on the Q12 earlier tonight heading into Flushing, a little after 9 pm.

The LFSA were originally for the q12 and the q44 that's why CS has so many but if I'm correct there problems with turning buses around at the eastern terminal of the q12 and that why we don't see artics on that line. But I am glad they're trying again Edited by IAlam

Had this operator on the Q50 today going from Flushing to the Bronx... I remember there was a discussion a while back saying that operators cannot travel wherever they want unless it's on a nonstop portion of the route and they need to make up time...

So anyways, the Q50 normally goes along Linden Place to the Whitestone Expressway, where it runs on the service road to 14th Avenue, where it goes on the expressway to go to the Whitestone Bridge to cross over to the Bronx.

Well, my operator decided to turn from Linden and run on 138th Street (the same routing as the Q34) and at 28th Avenue, we went on the Expressway itself, NOT the service road. We skipped three stops that the bus should have made, and there was really no reason for him to. There was no reroute mentioned nor was he late...

So there's some detours up here in Riverdale due paving down in the Bronx (Kingsbridge).  Bx7's are running via the Henry Hudson Parkway through Spuyten Duyvil and along 230th street. Traffic was a mess coming off of the Deegan for this reason.  I noticed the Bx7's coming down Johnson and Irwin as I coming up the hill on the express bus.  Had the entire bus to myself... A SUPER SUPER EXPRESS... First and last stop... MINE... :D

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

not bad the only time you get a bsu to yourself is if you travel off peak in an awkward hour 

Well the Riverdale express buses can vary quite a bit.  They can be REALLY empty during the Jewish holidays, and in the summer, particularly on Thursdays and Fridays.  Lots of folks in white collar managerial positions that don't work five days a week or leave the office early.  I myself have been taking Thursdays/Fridays off to have a 4 or 5 day weekend. Next week I'm taking a 2 hour lunch on Wednesday, then I'm off Thursday and Friday, then off for Labor day and am considering taking more days off after that, as I have a good 20 vacation days to take advantage of.

At my old job we had early dismissal for the entire summer, so we'd close the office at 2pm and I'd have long lunches or take trips to different parts of the city to explore.  Went to the Cloisters one afternoon and took the M4 all the way up and back.  Was a nice trip.

I would like to take a bus ride to Riverdale, & explore how it is up there. Here in queens isnt too fancy.

Well the Riverdale express buses can vary quite a bit.  They can be REALLY empty during the Jewish holidays, and in the summer, particularly on Thursdays and Fridays.  Lots of folks in white collar managerial positions that don't work five days a week or leave the office early.  I myself have been taking Thursdays/Fridays off to have a 4 or 5 day weekend. Next week I'm taking a 2 hour lunch on Wednesday, then I'm off Thursday and Friday, then off for Labor day and am considering taking more days off after that, as I have a good 20 vacation days to take advantage of.

At my old job we had early dismissal for the entire summer, so we'd close the office at 2pm and I'd have long lunches or take trips to different parts of the city to explore.  Went to the Cloisters one afternoon and took the M4 all the way up and back.  Was a nice trip.

Why can't the Q12 go full artic & be extended to Great Neck? Greck Neck is only a short distance from Little Neck, The Q5 & Q85 go to green mall & that is in LONG ISLAND. If Q12 was extended to Great Neck, ridership would increase alot. 

I would like to take a bus ride to Riverdale, & explore how it is up there. Here in queens isnt too fancy.

Why can't the Q12 go full artic & be extended to Great Neck? Greck Neck is only a short distance from Little Neck, The Q5 & Q85 go to green mall & that is in LONG ISLAND. If Q12 was extended to Great Neck, ridership would increase alot. 

There are two Riverdales if you will.... The one up the hill is the affluent part, as it offers spectacular views of Manhattan and an escape from the urban concrete jungle down the hill.  The area along Broadway is just your generic neighborhood with Van Cortlandt Park across the street.  The I-87 is there so there is nothing great about living down there, though the park does offer you plenty of green, as it one of the largest parks in NYC.  It gets quieter as you make your way past 242nd and Broadway, but I would not live down there.  Too easy for the riff-raff to come in during the warm months.  There has been one drug bust and one guy shot and killed related to drugs likely in the last few months, all down the hill near Broadway.  Up the hill the worst you'll get is someone's expensive car stolen, as the thugs from down the hill like to come up and go "car shopping", but the cops step up patrols to keep things safe up here.  Most folks are smart though and if they have an expensive car they put it in a garage, which is why you see few expensive cars out and about and more of the cheaper ones on the street parked.

That isn't to say that North Riverdale is horrible by any means as it is still quite safe and there are parts that could be considered upper class, but those areas are usually up the hill, west of Broadway.  The tony part of Riverdale that is known is nestled up in the hills east and west of the Henry Hudson Parkway.  I live very close to the Estate areas, which includes the private part of Fieldston to the east, and the other part of the estate area (Hudson Hill) where Wave Hill is located (the former estate where Mark Twain lived).  You can reach the entrance of the private area of Fieldston via the bus to Henry Hudson Parkway and West 246th street, but there are no buses there so you would have to walk through there to view the multitude of million dollar + mansions that exist.  To the west you have more historic houses in the millions.  The rest of Riverdale up the hill is mainly luxury condos, co-ops with doormen and private homes, with Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale having the bulk of the high rise buildings with a mix of private homes (English tudors, etc.).  North Riverdale is mainly low rise private homes with more affordable co-ops sprinkled about.  There are some rentals too but not many and the ones up the hill tend to be pricier and geared for luxury renters, which keeps the area nice overall, as most people here own their residence.

Queens has plenty of affluent areas... Northeast Queens esp. (Douglaston (north of Northern Blvd esp.), Little Neck, parts of Glen Oaks, Whitestone (Malba in particular, along with Beechhurst) and Bay Terrace come to mind.  

There's also Breezy Point and Neponsit near the water, and Forest Hills Gardens.  Forest Hills Gardens is very similar to Fieldston in Riverdale with expensive homes in a private area.

As for your other question, I don't think folks in Great Neck care.  Great Neck is quite affluent, so I would imagine most folks drive there and take the LIRR to work in Manhattan, as Long Island isn't exactly pro-transit when it comes to local buses. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8