BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*my apologies, mistake on post

Just wondering, can you code MTABC programs onto an NYCT bus and vice versa?

Yep.

Fotos of MTA Bus MCIs working on Yukon routes when Yukon was at its absolute worst.

1MCYUqE.jpg

4JFAIgq.jpg

ZHihu5W.jpg

jkPI9ba.jpg

*my apologies, mistake on post

I'm willing to bet that you were going to say no....without knowing what you're talking about.

With the X51, I wonder if it used 46/48 Avenues to Utopia. I don't know if there was a possiblity that some local bus riders could've used that bus instead of their current commute.

I'd try to sell the QM3 to Auburndale folks, instead of having had the x51 run along 46th/47th/48th........

The QM21 at this point is another lost cause because it also competes with local/limited routes and generally not many demand a express route in its area.

Rochdale residents are keeping that route alive; which is why I say it should just be turned into an x63 variant & call it a day....

Instead of using Linden to Brewer, have it use Linden, to Merrick, then Baisley, Bedell, 137th... By default, you'd garner more x-bus riders along Merrick than you would along Brewer..... As a result of this change, the span of the x63 could stand to be increased (similar to that of the x21).....

The x63 is one of the main reasons the Qm21 carries lightly.....

If any one has noticed the qm21 either on the same X63 route or very close proximity to it. Honestly I don't think it's horrible because it give some riders a shorter wait time and has longer operating hours especially in the PM hours. Furthermore it takes the highway on its PM trip which is more appealing to the average customer. When I see the QM21 and X63 I thing of the QM7/QM8 or the QM1/QM5, sure the QM1, QM7 and, QM21 get less people than their counterparts, but they also cover less surface.

The main reason I think we still have the QM21 is the same reason we have QM7 and QM1

Nah, the Qm21 is not a supplement or variant of the x63.....

Furthermore, the Qm7 nomenclature was created to make a clearer distinction of just what "Qm1/a" bus (of yesteryear) was going where/doing what - namely heading downtown or midtown.....

Why does the QM3 have such horrible service all the other rush hour buses have like more than 5 departures. The QM3 should be running it from like 6:00 to like 9ish

The Union Tpke expresses & the proximity of the LIRR.....

(I'd say the former moreso than the latter)

Thanks! I was just wondering, since I was looking at some of the codes and some of them overlap (ex: 1111 is a code for both the M11 and Q111...)

Well for the Q111 the code is 1111 but for NYCT they have a number in front of it so for example The Bx11 code towards Washington Heights is 3111. Remember you can't put a NYCT code on a MTA Bus unless you program it for only NYCT codes.

MTA bus and NYCT bus codes can't be programmed on the sign at the same time due to lack of space.

Well for the Q111 the code is 1111 but for NYCT they have a number in front of it so for example The Bx11 code towards Washington Heights is 3111. Remember you can't put a NYCT code on a MTA Bus unless you program it for only NYCT codes.

MTA bus and NYCT bus codes can't be programmed on the sign at the same time due to lack of space.

I remember when the Bx11 codes overlapped the then QBx1 codes

But the M11 is 1111, what's why I was asking. So if i wanted to program an MTABC code on a NYCT bus (if that's possible) then what would I do?

So those MCI's were originally meant for CP, and never meant for SI in the first place, correct?

Those MCIs were(and still are) all MTA Bus units, however, Yukon and Castleton reached a low point in maintenance where they needed MTA Bus MCIs to make service, in exchange for 1800 series MCIs that needed to be repaired and or possibly retired. I think at that time, those 3200s were Spring Creek buses, I gotta check.

But the M11 is 1111, what's why I was asking. So if i wanted to program an MTABC code on a NYCT bus (if that's possible) then what would I do?

No you have to program the destination sign for either MTA bus codes or NYCT bus codes. If you for example have a Orion VII from ENY you can only pull up NYCT routes such as the M1, Bx34, Q44, S66 etc. You can't bring up the routes like the B100, Q7, Q25 and etc because those buses are not programmed for MTA Bus codes. When it is transferred then it is programmed to display those codes.

So 1111 on Orion VII 6701 will bring up the M11

The code 1111 on Orion VII 3504 will bring up the Q111.

No you have to program the destination sign for either MTA bus codes or NYCT bus codes. If you for example have a Orion VII from ENY you can only pull up NYCT routes such as the M1, Bx34, Q44, S66 etc. You can't bring up the routes like the B100, Q7, Q25 and etc because those buses are not programmed for MTA Bus codes. When it is transferred then it is programmed to display those codes.

So 1111 on Orion VII 6701 will bring up the M11

The code 1111 on Orion VII 3504 will bring up the Q111.

So your basically saying that unless the bus is reprogrammed to display MTABC codes, I can't?

Nope

No that is why you can type 1111 on any MTA bus and only pull up the Q111- Jamaica:Hillside Ave code.

Now if you typed that same code on any bus at NYCT you will get the M11 code.

Thanks!

On another side note, how does the Bx12 to Sedgwick turn around back to Pelham? I saw it running on Bailey Avenue today...

Today I waited damn near half an hour for any kind of Bx12. The locals were running late while the Selects were flat out missing. How a line with a combined 15 buses per hour between local and SBS at 2 in the afternoon on a non-school day manages to suck so badly is beyond me.

Thanks!

On another side note, how does the Bx12 to Sedgwick turn around back to Pelham? I saw it running on Bailey Avenue today...

They make the right on Sedgwick, make a final stop by Webb (where the first BxM3 drop-off stop is), go down Bailey, make a u-turn at the traffic island on Heath, then come back up Bailey, and make a stop by Webb where the last BxM3 pick-up stop is.

Today I waited damn near half an hour for any kind of Bx12. The locals were running late while the Selects were flat out missing. How a line with a combined 15 buses per hour between local and SBS at 2 in the afternoon on a non-school day manages to suck so badly is beyond me.

They make the right on Sedgwick, make a final stop by Webb (where the first BxM3 drop-off stop is), go down Bailey, make a u-turn at the traffic island on Heath, then come back up Bailey, and make a stop by Webb where the last BxM3 pick-up stop is.

If that were me I would have just started walking. I happen to have the opposite luck with the Bx26 though. Buses run once every 9-10 minutes during the PM Rush but when I ride the thing buses are showing up as soon as I get to the stop. Plus the ride is sweet. Buses aren't jampacked, Allerton is a smooth run and the bus drops me off closer to my house than the Bx12 does. 

Didn't really want to start a new thread on this, but since there are continuing discussions regarding pedestrians vs. buses, thought it appropraite to "test" this here:

Moseying around online, happened to see this over on SEPTA, with their testing of the "Safe Turn Alert" program on buses:

http://www.septa.org/safety/bus-turn-alert.html

Noticed they already use this on LA Metro, PACE, GCRTA and Maryland, so a couple quick questions:

--Anyone encountered this system in their travels or anyone from SEPTA-region seen/used this in action?

--On its face, it seems something the MTA could consider using, due to the problems on the streets.  Anyone think so as well?  Naturally, this wouldn't be a cure-all, since stupidity never takes a day off.  Or would it turn into something that's just tuned-out?

Didn't really want to start a new thread on this, but since there are continuing discussions regarding pedestrians vs. buses, thought it appropraite to "test" this here:

Moseying around online, happened to see this over on SEPTA, with their testing of the "Safe Turn Alert" program on buses:

http://www.septa.org/safety/bus-turn-alert.html

Noticed they already use this on LA Metro, PACE, GCRTA and Maryland, so a couple quick questions:

--Anyone encountered this system in their travels or anyone from SEPTA-region seen/used this in action?

--On its face, it seems something the MTA could consider using, due to the problems on the streets.  Anyone think so as well?  Naturally, this wouldn't be a cure-all, since stupidity never takes a day off.  Or would it turn into something that's just tuned-out?

NICE buses do it and it's annoying tbh