BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Thanks! If this means that the QM2/20 folks will no longer be in the same line as us QM1/5/6 folks at 57th and Lex, I'm thrilled. No one ever knows who is waiting for which line, since it is the only combined stop. Never understood who came up with that idea, 

They'll still drop-off along 57th, but no more waiting in line with them.

No,it doesnt affect the QM1/5/6. It affects the QM2/3/20 only because they have to use the lower level to cross the QB Bridge, in order to get to Northern Boulevard. 59 Street is the only option.

Officially no, provided that they all follow their standard routing

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The QM4 riders at 57 Street and Madison are lucky now, they get the whole stop to themselves when boarding. 

Another thing:

Today I saw a Bee Line Bus at 5 Ave and 40 St cross on a red, and the red light camera snapped. In the case of a ticket, who pays for the ticket, Bee-Line or would the individual driver have to do it. Would this also be the same in the case of an MTA bus?

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

They'll still drop-off along 57th, but no more waiting in line with them.

Officially no, provided that they all follow their standard routing

This is great news! I still don't see anything about it on the MTA website, which is odd. The schedule PDF has been updated for the QM2/20, but I'd expect a planned service change announcement for a change like this

Does this mean that the 3rd Ave branch stop on 55th/3rd will still be combined QM1/2/20/5/6?

Edited by QM1to6Ave

This is great news! I still don't see anything about it on the MTA website, which is odd. The schedule PDF has been updated for the QM2/20, but I'd expect a planned service change announcement for a change like this

Does this mean that the 3rd Ave branch stop on 55th/3rd will still be combined QM1/2/20/5/6?

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/planned_servChanges_QM2QM3QM20.htm

This should only affect the QM2 and QM20 6th Avenue branch, and the QM3, not the 3rd Avenue branch of the QM2 or QM20.

A random thought : the buses mta are going to scrap maybe they should donate to nice bus. Nice buses are in really bad shape & are littered with trash fast food wrappers & bags, beer cans, large soda cups, the floors are sticky from all the soda spills, & a bad smell of pee pee in the back door staircase.

A random thought : the buses mta are going to scrap maybe they should donate to nice bus. Nice buses are in really bad shape & are littered with trash fast food wrappers & bags, beer cans, large soda cups, the floors are sticky from all the soda spills, & a bad smell of pee pee in the back door staircase.

NICE already got "donated buses" Those Orions numbered between 1000 - 1027 came from Foothill Transit out west earlier this year.

As for the buses being dirty, NICE could just simply clean them... I can assure you NYCT buses in the Bronx get pretty dirty...

As a fan it would be cool if NYCT gave NICE some hand me down buses, I would give them the MCIs as those seem to be in the best shape out of all the buses being retired by the MTA at the moment, I think they could get away with using MCIs on most NICE routes... NJT for example uses MCIs on routes that are for lack of a better term "local bus-ish" if MCI could run on NJT's 165 and one of the Hackensack - GWB routes I think they could get away with it on most NICE routes...

You know NICE is 100% CNG right? If anything gets deplaced to NICE from NYCT, it has to be the Orion 7s or C40s from WF or JG. The O7s are dying out and are instead going to be replaced instead of deplaced. C40s just got here and all had at least 2 years here. So it's better off to give NICE their foothill Orions and XN40s instead of giving NYCT leftovers.

Also, I'm not sure NICE wants anything to do with the (MTA) now.

You know NICE is 100% CNG right? If anything gets deplaced to NICE from NYCT, it has to be the Orion 7s or C40s from WF or JG. The O7s are dying out and are instead going to be replaced instead of deplaced. C40s just got here and all had at least 2 years here. So it's better off to give NICE their foothill Orions and XN40s instead of giving NYCT leftovers.

Also, I'm not sure NICE wants anything to do with the (MTA) now.

Not 100%....they have their able-ride service with their cutaways. They can still fuel diesel buses, including their own fishbowl.

Bets on how long it will take the MTA to remember to update bustime to reflect these changes?

Probably a few months.  We had a change in the southbound BxM1 and BxM2.  Both took a while to update.  They have already done the schedules though, but perhaps if someone writes in they may do it faster.  I'm curious as to how this will work traffic wise though.  I'm going to have to pick and choose when I take the QM2. Not interested in sitting in traffic and 59th from 6th over to Madison can be horrible.

I find this really interesting, I know it's like 15 years ago but I was trying to find a bus map that was used in 2000 showing Manhattan routes and I can't believe the express bus fare was $3.00 compare to what is now $6.50.

http://www.nymedicaldoctor.com/images/Bus.pdf

When RTS'es dominated New York, old World Trade, these were the good old days. Even though I lived in the 2000's, I still remember the M27 and the RTS on the M50. Even the M18 as well. Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

NYCT buses already do serve Nassau, and NJ

MTAB busses serve Nassau (those routes go in really deep), and Yonkers

If a New York City bus can serve another state it can serve another county

Only one line serves New Jersey and its only one stop within state lines

True but like I said there are already. 3 lines that operate in Nassau from NYCT and another 4 from MTAB so it's possible for more NYCT lines to go to Nassau especially when there is no NICE bus running parallel to those lines and if you want to talk about how those lines "skim the border" check the Q111

True but like I said there are already. 3 lines that operate in Nassau from NYCT and another 4 from MTAB so it's possible for more NYCT lines to go to Nassau especially when there is no NICE bus running parallel to those lines and if you want to talk about how those lines "skim the border" check the Q111

What exactly is it that you keep going on and on about?  NYCT buses are supposed to serve Manhattan and the outer boroughs, period.  Long Island, New Jersey and Westchester can provide their own transportation with THEIR TAX dollars.  I don't want my tax dollars supporting Westchester's transportation or Long Island or New Jersey. It's already annoying enough to have those damn people from South Yonkers coming down to Riverdale using our express buses. If I had my way the BxM3 would be cut back to Riverdale.  No more going to Yonkers.  They can take Metro-North. Living in the damn suburbs and trying to mooch off of city resources.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What exactly is it that you keep going on and on about?  NYCT buses are supposed to serve Manhattan and the outer boroughs, period.  Long Island, New Jersey and Westchester can provide their own transportation with THEIR TAX dollars.  I don't want my tax dollars supporting Westchester's transportation or Long Island or New Jersey. It's already annoying enough to have those damn people from South Yonkers coming down to Riverdale using our express buses.

People seriously do that? That negates the whole purpose of the rail road and the fact it adds way too much time to their commutes

People seriously do that? That negates the whole purpose of the rail road and the fact it adds way too much time to their commutes

Where have you been?  Of course they do it.  The express bus is cheaper than Metro-North, peak and off-peak from Yonkers to Grand Central ($10.50 peak, not including the subway or bus and $7.75 off peak, not including the subway or bus).  If there are to be any extensions they should make very few stops in Westchester or Long Island or New Jersey and be primarily for the use of CITY RESIDENTS.  We're the ones paying the taxes for these services so we should be benefiting from them the most.  

I like the fact that the BxM1, BxM2 and BxM18 all start at 261st instead of 263rd.  It makes more of a schlepp to get to them from Yonkers, even if it is just two blocks. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8