BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Looks like the Bx99 is going back to using Artics. Makes sense, because those buses have begun to start filling up more to the point it was hard to social distance on the 40 footers. 

Really? No wonder why it's the one of the most efficient overnight routes out there..

Also, looking through the artic routes, got some random 40 footers out there, NG on the Q44, OG on the M34, your typical LFS or NG on the Bronx routes, so on and so forth.

Edited by NBTA

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad these new LFS HEV will have Vianova info screens. Anyone notice that the single seats on the left side of the bus are now individual aisle facing seats? What was the point of that? Also, I wonder if the COVID barrier will become a new spec down the line.. 

https://www.ttmg.org/nymta-novaq.html

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

33 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

So glad these new LFS HEV will have Vianova info screens. Anyone notice that the single seats on the left side of the bus are now individual aisle facing seats? What was the point of that? Also, I wonder if the COVID barrier will become a new spec down the line.. 

It might be for social distancing purposes.

46 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Well, this is just a prototype, so....

3 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I actually really like the single facing seats, and the "new-esq" seats too. But, I can tell that it'll be an issue with crowding later down the line.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

I actually really like the single facing seats, and the "new-esq" seats too. But, I can tell that it'll be an issue with crowding later down the line.

Sure will. I like my single seat, and sit facing the aisle when it's not crowded, but I'm not interested in having to stare at crotches or having standees get hurt rotator cuff surgery when the bus is packed.

3 hours ago, Deucey said:

Sure will. I like my single seat, and sit facing the aisle when it's not crowded, but I'm not interested in having to stare at crotches or having standees get hurt rotator cuff surgery when the bus is packed.

I tend to avoid spots on the bus where seats face each other (which is harder to do on some buses), because I don't like having people right across from me, facing me. I don't like looking at people, I don't like people looking in my direction. 

This is something I hate about subway cars (which is one reason I like the 75 footers over other subway cars), and I don't really like that it's being implemented at a greater rate on buses. Like yes, it offers more capacity, but at the expense of the dissatisfaction of the rider.

This may sound like something relatively minor to some, but it does have an impact on general attitude towards taking public transit in general. Public transit agencies don't really take this into account.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

8 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I tend to avoid spots on the bus where seats face each other (which is harder to do on some buses), because I don't like having people right across from me, facing me. I don't like looking at people, I don't like people looking in my direction. 

This is something I hate about subway cars (which is one reason I like the 75 footers over other subway cars), and I don't really like that it's being implemented at a greater rate on buses. Like yes, it offers more capacity, but at the expense of the dissatisfaction of the rider. This may sound like something relatively minor to some, but it does have an impact on general attitude towards taking public transit in general.

Back when SI we're running Orion V models, I was okay with all the longitudinal seating since I sat in the back section and few folks stood back there when the 42/52 was full.

Plus the seats on those V's were wider than on the VII's longitudinals.

Now, whether it's a Nova, a VII or a Xcelsior, I'll only sit in the singles or the back row since the seats in the rear are worse than the back row corner seats on the RTS.

Exception of the very last row on our buses... Most of the forward facing seats have awful leg room for tall people. Which is why the 6800s and the NGs have my favorite seating setup in the rear of the bus. The MCI/Prevost are pretty good with legroom, the forward facing seats on the local fleet, not so much.

48 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

This is something I hate about subway cars (which is one reason I like the 75 footers over other subway cars), and I don't really like that it's being implemented at a greater rate on buses. Like yes, it offers more capacity, but at the expense of the dissatisfaction of the rider.

This may sound like something relatively minor to some, but it does have an impact on general attitude towards taking public transit in general. Public transit agencies don't really take this into account.

Do you also/still have a tendency to look down when you're walking?

In any case, yeah, I don't sit in those seats where you'll end up facing somebody either... I don't want to go into a diatribe about it, but psychology (anger) has a lot to do with it.... Been a problem since childhood & I'm relieved like shit that I don't have to interview people at this new place I'm now working at..... Anyway, it's a reason why I keep myself preoccupied when on a bus/train (regardless of where I end up sitting); usually do those sudoku shits, ken ken number puzzles, or a good old wordfind or crossword puzzle..... Used to bring my laptop, but the battery in this thing has gotten weak as f*** over time....

You're not too much younger than I am, but fam, you have to realize that they're not going to take things like this into account, as human beings in general are social... The world is geared towards extroverts & as an introvert, all you can do is manuever your way about society as best you can....

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Do you also/still have a tendency to look down when you're walking?

In any case, yeah, I don't sit in those seats where you'll end up facing somebody either... I don't want to go into a diatribe about it, but psychology (anger) has a lot to do with it.... Been a problem since childhood & I'm relieved like shit that I don't have to interview people at this new place I'm now working at..... Anyway, it's a reason why I keep myself preoccupied when on a bus/train (regardless of where I end up sitting); usually do those sudoku shits, ken ken number puzzles, or a good old wordfind or crossword puzzle..... Used to bring my laptop, but the battery in this thing has gotten weak as f*** over time....

You're not too much younger than I am, but fam, you have to realize that they're not going to take things like this into account, as human beings in general are social... The world is geared towards extroverts & as an introvert, all you can do is manuever your way about society as best you can....

At times, yeah I tend to look down, or slightly look away.

Yeah, I don't see things changing to accommodate those that aren't extroverts anytime soon, if ever.  I definitely don't expect it when it comes to public transit, so I just deal with it. I guess that's one reason why I prefer riding the bus over the subway.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

6 hours ago, Snorunts said:

528 (and possibly 535) at College Point has NYC Bus decals. I believe a 190-something from College Point has them as well.

The ones at CP with NYCT decals are 194, 216, 217, (230-232 were transferred from JG) 528 and 535.

Speaking of CP, one of the drivers again had the “Mask Required” and “Fare Required” sign on the Q25 but wasn’t picking up anyone. The bus was completely empty like last time it happened to me. So whoever needed the Q25 is forced to wait 40 minutes at close to midnight. The sign never flashed the Q25 at all but you could track it on bus time. I don’t like to wish bad on people but the guy needs to lose his job because he is not doing his job. It was bus #613 and I think the guy used the same exact bus before.