BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this is mentioned in the random thoughts thread, but if the MTA doesn't get a bailout of $12 Billion by November, then the MTA will start doing massive lay-offs, 40% reduction in service, and because of that, the $51.3 Billion fast forward plan will possibly be scrapped completely. If they receive the money, then the MTA could handle service into the end of 2022.

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/mta-chief-warns-of-massive-layoffs-if-federal-aid-falls-through/

2 hours ago, RSMG106 said:

I don't know if this is mentioned in the random thoughts thread, but if the MTA doesn't get a bailout of $12 Billion by November, then the MTA will start doing massive lay-offs, 40% reduction in service, and because of that, the $51.3 Billion fast forward plan will possibly be scrapped completely. If they receive the money, then the MTA could handle service into the end of 2022.

Source: https://nypost.com/2020/09/03/mta-chief-warns-of-massive-layoffs-if-federal-aid-falls-through/

This topic has its own thread... People usually check the threads created before posting to avoid multiple posts on the same thing.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

8 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

That message is tied to the same P/R code as the "MASKS REQUIRED" message

Betwee the mask and fare messages, you can easily miss the route info if a bus is coming at you quickly! I wish they could fit both messages on one screen so it takes less time to cycle through. 

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Betwee the mask and fare messages, you can easily miss the route info if a bus is coming at you quickly! I wish they could fit both messages on one screen so it takes less time to cycle through. 

Yeah, I get a lot of questions about what route I'm driving because of it...

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That would be a good idea, but I feel like if they were to do that, people would be too lazy to read the the message.

19 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Did they change any schedules for the Fall Pick? I did a quick check for Staten Island, and they all had schedules for previous picks. @BM5 via Woodhaven

On the express end, only the BxM schedules have changed. A few people in my group look at that stuff. Just changes in run times and the BxM11 has a few new trips in the AM.

5577 indeed has the SBS scheme but the words Select Bus are faded, same observation to Flatbush 7600's. 

From the looks of the fall movements: 

- The Smartbus LFSAs that Quill has moved to KB/GH in return they get the XD-60s from CS/FB. 

- 6036, 6042 remains at Stengel. 

- A LFSA from WF/TU moves to KB

Maybe Flatbush has enough Artics for service from the calculation to the 9/6 timetable: 

- B44-SBS: 24 in-total, B46-SBS: 26 overall from its 4-min headways 

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The SIM24 ran today, when I saw it at 34th and 9th, there was no one on it.

Odd for Academy to run that route today when the MTA was running an Sunday schedule...

They need to do a better job of advertising that they are running (Nowadays on those lower-ridership days, they run 2 trips in the AM and 3 trips in the PM for both the SIM23/24. They used to run more but of course they reduced the schedule since ridership is still down due to COVID).

I remember on July 3rd they ran that same reduced schedule, but I didn't realize and post it in the Facebook group until the afternoon (which means that some potential riders may have driven to other routes, or driven all the way to Manhattan, and can't take advantage of the PM service). Management at Academy needs to fully take advantage of social media to grow/maintain their ridership base.

Though to be fair, ridership is bound to be a lot lower on Labor Day vs. July 3rd (case in point, I worked July 3rd but not Labor Day)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

The SIM24 ran today, when I saw it at 34th and 9th, there was no one on it.

Odd for Academy to run that route today when the MTA was running an Sunday schedule...

Seeing an express bus with nobody on it isn't necessarily indicative of anything. I'm finding that a bunch of people get off at a few stops qt the beginning of the drop-off segment  and the bus is empty with a few people on it after that. Just noting this as an aside, as quite a few people have made this comment before.

48 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Seeing an express bus with nobody on it isn't necessarily indicative of anything. I'm finding that a bunch of people get off at a few stops qt the beginning of the drop-off segment  and the bus is empty with a few people on it after that. Just noting this as an aside, as quite a few people have made this comment before.

In this particular case, it's literally the first drop-off / last pick-up stop. But yes, good point (and it especially applies on inbound buses, and especially on routes that have some type of loop, where people will get off and either transfer to a subway/local bus or walk, depending on their exact destination)

12 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

In this particular case, it's literally the first drop-off / last pick-up stop. But yes, good point (and it especially applies on inbound buses, and especially on routes that have some type of loop, where people will get off and either transfer to a subway/local bus or walk, depending on their exact destination)

Exactly. I know in this particular case it's the first stop, but it happens a lot on some of the express buses I use. One line I take only makes about eight drop-off stops, and the first one is a big one, so it isn't uncommon for a bunch of people to get off there and then only a handful of people remain. Going home it's the same thing. Most of the ridership in my area is in the Southern part of Riverdale, in Spuyten Duyvil (Kappock and Johnson and Kappock and Knolls Crescent have lots of co-ops so lots of riders down there since it is rather dense), and then my area of Central Riverdale, since that's the Downtown part. After that, Fieldston and North Riverdale are less dense overall, so ridership can be hit or miss.