BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

A video on 7647's accident was leaked online. It shows the bus lunging forward, crashing into a forklift, then crashing into it again, then the operator swerves out of the way (I think you can see him trying to slam on the brake pedal), crashes into a parked truck and into the building. Unless he was pressing the gas which makes no sense, it could be possible the gas pedal got stuck and he was trying to brake.

https://www.facebook.com/markiepierre/videos/10223420308469372/

Edited by Lawrence St

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

A video on 7647's accident was leaked online. It shows the bus lunging forward, crashing into a forklift, then crashing into it again, then the operator swerves out of the way (I think you can see him trying to slam on the brake pedal), crashes into a parked truck and into the building. Unless he was pressing the gas which makes no sense, it could be possible the gas pedal got stuck and he was trying to brake.

https://www.facebook.com/markiepierre/videos/10223420308469372/

The videos have also been posted under two well known NY based IG pages.

whatisnewyork

welcome.to.zooyork

WNBC has a longer video showing the driver getting up to adjust something.  I'm not sure what exactly might have gone on here but did he release the parking brake and put the vehicle into drive before he was fully situated?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/disturbing-video-emerges-in-mta-bus-crash-into-brooklyn-building-case/3098159/

3 minutes ago, 7-express said:

WNBC has a longer video showing the driver getting up to adjust something.  I'm not sure what exactly might have gone on here but did he release the parking brake and put the vehicle into drive before he was fully situated?

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/disturbing-video-emerges-in-mta-bus-crash-into-brooklyn-building-case/3098159/

I really wanna see the video footage of the XN60 that fell off the overpass. I need an explanation for that. 

49 minutes ago, 7-express said:

This video is very disturbing. After he crashes the bus the first time, why isn't the bus left stationary then and there? It almost seems deliberate. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This video is very disturbing. After he crashes the bus the first time, why isn't the bus left stationary then and there? It almost seems deliberate. 

It could be possible the interlock malfunctioned. You do seem him trying to steer out of dangers way and even looks down at the pedals in horror tryin to figure out why the bus isnt stopping.

If it was a malfunction, thats the second Xcelsior model to randomly accelerate this year (with 1020 being the first).

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

It could be possible the interlock malfunctioned. You do seem him trying to steer out of dangers way and even looks down at the pedals in horror tryin to figure out why the bus isnt stopping.

If it was a malfunction, thats the second Xcelsior model to randomly accelerate this year (with 1020 being the first).

Assuming it was, I see a lot of other issues that are a no-no. 

So many things wrong here.

1. The damn phone. You're in revenue service with passengers on your bus. Put the damn phone down at least until you're at a layover. (I don't know the complete rule regarding having a phone on you while on the clock)

2. The two tote bags he had in the drivers compartment.

3. He got up and apparently he didn't properly secure the bus, which leads to...

4. For whatever reason, the bus started rolling while the operator himself wasn't secured into his seat with his little door still open and he only has one hand on the wheel.

The blue book violations alone are enough to hang him out to dry, even if he hadn't careened the bus into that building.

8 hours ago, 7-express said:

The newer Xcelsiors have a hill-hold feature which sets the brake after the pedal is held for about 3 seconds. It's a feature to allow you to rest your foot/leg during a red light and whatnot. It releases when the accelerator is pressed and the slightest pressure can release the hold. It's not uncommon for operators who are about to be relieved mid-route to set the run box for the next person. Some might do it just before or at some point during their layover before the trip. Unfortunately, the parking brake was not set when this all happened, and him having his tote bags on the ground instead of on the hooks behind him was just a recipe for disaster when he went back to sit.

7 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

The newer Xcelsiors have a hill-hold feature which sets the brake after the pedal is held for about 3 seconds. It's a feature to allow you to rest your foot/leg during a red light and whatnot. It releases when the accelerator is pressed and the slightest pressure can release the hold. It's not uncommon for operators who are about to be relieved mid-route to set the run box for the next person. Some might do it just before or at some point during their layover before the trip. Unfortunately, the parking brake was not set when this all happened, and him having his tote bags on the ground instead of on the hooks behind him was just a recipe for disaster when he went back to sit.

If you look closer at the video, he sets the parking brake around the 10-11 second mark. The initial crash happens shortly after he got back into the seat and he released the parking brake

8 minutes ago, Statty said:

If you look closer at the video, he sets the parking brake around the 10-11 second mark. The initial crash happens shortly after he got back into the seat and he released the parking brake

Yeah, it looked like he pulled the brake but what happened after he sat back down happened in an instant it seemed like. I don't know if the diesel Xcelsiors allow the engine to rev with the brake set but on our buses you would know if you are applying gas once you tap the accelerator.

6 minutes ago, SoSpectacular said:

Yeah, it looked like he pulled the brake but what happened after he sat back down happened in an instant it seemed like. I don't know if the diesel Xcelsiors allow the engine to rev with the brake set but on our buses you would know if you are applying gas once you tap the accelerator.

From my personal experience, even if you tap the accelerator, there is split second or two, where you can react quickly to hitting the brakes (hearing the air brakes release)  Hell, maybe hit the brakes after hitting the forklift instead of pulling out? Something doesn't add up to me.

As well, my habit is to hold down the brakes while I release the parking brakes. Especially if you're on some sort of downhill grade.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:52 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Not only the 99 routes, but a bunch of other routes with enhanced overnight service. It's on the MTA website: https://new.mta.info/coronavirus/overnight

There are several routes which apparently will retain the existing enhanced overnight service (as they don't mirror subways, or mirror them enough based on the description).

The Bronx

• Bx15 (every 10-20 minutes)
  • Bx19 & Bx21 (every 22.5 minutes)

Brooklyn

• B8, B44 Local, B46 Local, B61, B68 (every 20 minutes)
  • B38, B63 (every 22.5 minutes), 

Manhattan

• M2, M7 (every 20 min weekdays, every 30 min weekends)
  • M15 (every 15 minutes)
  • M102 (Weekdays Only, every 20 minutes)
  • M104 (Weekdays Only, every 22.5 minutes)

Queens

• Q24, Q53 SBS (every 20 minutes)
  • Q65 (every 15-20 minutes)
  • Q60, Q66 (every 15 minutes)

I checked TripPlanner for June 17th for some of the buses listed above (Q53, Q60, B44, B46), and the enhanced overnight schedule are still available on that day. 

So I'm looking at bustime and all, and none of the enhanced overnight service above is operating either. I asked about it on Twitter and apparently it might be due to "operator shortages" and that they're looking into it, but it is what it is. They listed only some bus routes, and news outlets which ran stories on the overnight service reductions reported it like that too.

So if they come out with the excuse that they actually meant all of the service and they forgot to list other routes, well then they might as well not have made a list to begin with, since they left out a huge chunk of routes. Not surprising to see this go down, but it is disappointing. 

Edit: They actually meant ALL bus routes, not just the routes that paralleled the subways. Tripplanner reflects this now, so does the MTA website (it was changed about 20-30 minutes ago). The person I spoke to was helpful though, I'll give them that. I also suggested if a post could be made to clarify this discrepancy, we'll see if that happens. 

---------------------------------------------------

The 2:00 AM Q53 to Rockaway Park is MIA, and there's about 10 people waiting at 75th Street (there were more, until they left a while ago). 

Edit: Just as I finish typing and post, the bus turns into Broadway. It's 15 minutes late. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The new format express bus schedules don't show where the pickup and dropoff stops are at...

BxM4

BxM7

Just wrote my Bronx contact to have them address that. Their tech folks will have to fix it when they can. Had a conference call with them earlier today about some lines. These new schedules are not set in stone, and they are looking to get public feedback on them. The problem is they took parts of the old (MTA) Bus schedules and tried to use the NYCT format with the maps, which DO list the stops on the actual maps. (MTA) Bus maps do not. Smh... 
They will need to fix all of them because none of the new (MTA) Bus schedules will have the bus stops listed, and they should.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

The new format express bus schedules don't show where the pickup and dropoff stops are at...

BxM4

BxM7

Also both of they say “Local Service “ instead of “Express Service “ .  Just a minor issue but I just wanted to point that out.

Edited by Lil 57

39 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Also both of they say “Local Service “ instead of “Express Service “ .  Just a minor issue but I just wanted to point that out.

Yes, I'm aware. Someone is already looking at it. There are quite a few errors in them because they copied from the local bus schedules that are from NYCT.

This is something that I've noticed over the years:

Why don't the NYCT express timetables not follow the BusCo format and list the pickup/dropoff stops on their own page as compared to cramming it all onto the route maps?

Edited by MeeP15-9112
clarification

8 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Further evidence that these schedules are copy & paste jobs... The fact that they aren't proofread, leaves much to be desired.... Very sloppy.

1 hour ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Why don't the NYCT express timetables not follow the BusCo format and list the pickup/dropoff stops on their own page as compared to cramming it all onto the route maps?

There was never any cohesion in terms of formatting b/w the NYCT routes & the MTAB routes from the jump, due to the transitioning of the PBL's.... It apparently wasn't a priority.

2 hours ago, MeeP15-9112 said:

Because the NYCT timetables have maps that list the stops on the actual maps. (MTA) Bus uses a different format where the maps just show where the buses run, but list the stops on a separate page. They actually are trying to use the same format as NYCT, but clearly did not realize the discrepancies.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:47 PM, Lawrence St said:

Why are the 9501-9510 Xclesiors having so many issues?

I believe you mentioned this in the bus moves portion of the forum:   Apparently 9500, 9501, 9503, 9505, 9506, 9508, and 9509 are all in service today.  My only guess with some the issues could be routine maintenance. Other issues that may arise which lead 9504 to leave NYC back to Minnesota for extensive repair that are outside the realms of Zerega and Grand CMF. 

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

I believe you mentioned this in the bus moves portion of the forum:   Apparently 9500, 9501, 9503, 9505, 9506, 9508, and 9509 are all in service today.  My only guess with some the issues could be routine maintenance. Other issues that may arise which lead 9504 to leave NYC back to Minnesota for extensive repair that are outside the realms of Zerega and Grand CMF. 

9509 has not been in service for at least a couple months. 9500-9503, 9505-9508 have been in service today.