BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

5 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Is it just me or are a lot of buses are departing early. This is the 2nd time I went to a bus stop 3-5 minutes before departure to see that the bus left 5 minutes ago (both were on 30 minute headway’s at the time).

You should know the deal on Staten Island. I have had to run from the car to get the express bus on Staten Island previously, because the bus was 10 minutes early. Same old same old...

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You should know the deal on Staten Island. I have had to run from the car to get the express bus on Staten Island previously, because the bus was 10 minutes early. Same old same old...

Guess so, I’ve been away for 4 months due to school where the buses in my Collegetown never came early so I guess I just have to readjust to it.

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I've done it before too. I had to get from Narrows/Targee to Richmond/Lander area on a Saturday afternoon. 

I would've taken the S53/S44, but then I ended up running late. So I was about to call an Uber and the price was $27 with a 13 min wait I'm like wtf and canceled it. I said let me see if I can flagg a SIM33 down coming from the city. As he approached Targee I literally waived like I was trying to tell a train operator to stop as if someone was on the tracks (luckily someone was getting off). As the person got off he said "this is not the pickup gotta go to the other side of the highway". I said "no i know I need to get to Richmond quickly and this is cheaper than an Uber i don't mind the $6.75". He said oh ok and things went normal (some people were confused seeing me get on but whatever). As I got off he said "you're the first person I had do that in my 8 years". I was like no way...he was like "yes, but it makes sense than to spend $20 for an Uber if it's convenient for you. People struggle to pay $6.75 and you're taking advantage of $6.75". I laughed and said u never know what to expect driving these buses. He said "yeah you can say that again, if it wasn't for someone getting off where u got on, my instinct wouldn't have been to stop but now with this scenario you have me thinking if I should be on the lookout". I said yeah its definitely not common, especially these days, but if someone is seriously flaggin you then you should stop and see what's up. He agreed and we each said take care and have a good day. 

In the past, some of the drivers would give attitude about it (either they really didn't know, or they wanted to play dumb), but since the redesign, and since myself and other advocates have emphasized the need to stop for people transferring, I haven't really had too many issues. (Though there was one B/O on the SIM4 who acted like he was doing me this big favor, talking about "The transfer point is at Victory", but he's the same one that would take it upon himself to bypass stops when he thought there were no seats). 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

2510 is tracking on the S44 at the ferry terminal, wtf?

Ignore the sass from some, they get annoyed when things get generally repeated but they don't know people learn on their own time and aren't up to date with everything.  

A express bus on the local routes in SI is nothing shocking (and it happened much more often in the past). Doesn't happen in other boroughs but it happens on occasion with Staten Island due to drivers having a mix of maybe one trip on the local and then express after. So, either due to bus availability, traffic issues, shortages, they essentially use what's available or convenient. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Ignore the sass from some, they get annoyed when things get generally repeated but they don't know people learn on their own time and aren't up to date with everything.  

A express bus on the local routes in SI is nothing shocking (and it happened much more often in the past). Doesn't happen in other boroughs but it happens on occasion with Staten Island due to drivers having a mix of maybe one trip on the local and then express after. So, either due to bus availability, traffic issues, shortages, they essentially use what's available or convenient. 

On Staten Island, it's been a mix of either driver shortages or bus shortages, and supposedly, they've just been having some drivers take express buses so that they don't have to go back and switch buses. Currently, they're down roughly 40 drivers, which is much better than the 100 I kept hearing about, so there's progress I suppose.

5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I know that coach buses sometimes ends up on SI local routes but this is the first time I heard of one on a ferry route. From what I understand they usually they end up on the 57/59/89.

BTW 2510 is still on the S44 hours later... very NJT like!

With the driver shortage, they are doing what they have to to make service. 

On 5/31/2021 at 12:00 AM, QM1to6Ave said:

So Stringer rented a prop bus to film his commercial? I wonder if the MTA didn’t allow him to film on an active bus. Or he didn’t want to risk real people yelling at him lol. 

They almost never use real buses. Probably an insurance thing / MTA branding and in this case, avoiding endorsement. The only time I can think of a real bus being used was that film a few years back, The We and the I. Was about a bunch of kids in the Bronx and they filmed it on a KB or GH O7 NG if I remember.

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Was today the first day of a new pick? I had all different B/O's on my regular runs, and they all drove slow as hell like a bunch of scared old ladies, 

Summer pick start the 27  maybe they were on training i saw a few guys getting trained on the college point routes the other day 

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Was today the first day of a new pick? I had all different B/O's on my regular runs, and they all drove slow as hell like a bunch of scared old ladies, uggg

Said from other post: bus op in training or bus ops filling in for a regular op that's either on vacation or does the RDO weekday work run

21 hours ago, Santana04 said:

Summer pick start the 27  maybe they were on training i saw a few guys getting trained on the college point routes the other day 

21 hours ago, Calvin said:

Said from other post: bus op in training or bus ops filling in for a regular op that's either on vacation or does the RDO weekday work run

Thanks! Makes sense...I guess a lot of B/Os took a longer Memorial Day vacation

Is there some sort of record-keeping system for bus reliability? For example, I noticed that, anecdotally at least, the B1 is generally on or close to schedule, whereas the B3 is always a mess. The B3 often has busses bunched up in twos or threes, with 30 minute gaps in service and then two or three busses all at once. I wonder if there is a database that keeps track of this. 

1 hour ago, jammerbot said:

Is there some sort of record-keeping system for bus reliability? For example, I noticed that, anecdotally at least, the B1 is generally on or close to schedule, whereas the B3 is always a mess. The B3 often has busses bunched up in twos or threes, with 30 minute gaps in service and then two or three busses all at once. I wonder if there is a database that keeps track of this. 

I also wonder if there is a sitee showing the load factors for routes too