BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh ok thanks! I'm guessing the same goes for the old C40s, damn and I was gonna go to tillary st to catch a O5 on the B103 next Tuesday but I guess that won't happen.

Jackie Gleason still has NewFlyers but replaced by its clones, the old C40LFs are going to be gone too  :unsure:

Quick Observations;

So I'm riding the LIRR westbound this am and between Bethpage and Hicksville I noticed some buses parked at some facility. The buses were painted in NYCT colors, blue and white, so was this some repair facility ? As we approached the junction at Hicksville divide I thought I saw another blue and white bus, N73. I thought NICE painted their buses a different color.

After a transfer at Jamaica to a Brooklyn train leaving the Nostrand Ave station I noticed major roadwork on Nostrand Ave around Fulton St which had traffic screwed up. What was that about? Thanks in advance. I remember the old folks telling me "you learn something new every day". Now I'm the old folk and still curious. Carry on.

The first part of your question, I can't give you a definite answer. I know there's a service center out there but as to where, I don't know

The second part of your question, there are still a few buses that are going around with the MTA livery instead of the current pumpkin-looking buses. The older ones are still gonna have the blue/orange stripe and those aren't being repainted from what I'm hearing.

The third part of your question is because they are getting Nostrand Av ready for the upcoming B44 SBS. They doing work as far up as Flushing Av all the way down to Fulton St, then again all around Flatbush junction. Its Gibbs be messed up for a while.

...hope that helps

Yes. On weekdays the Bx15 local will only run between The Hub (149 St) and Fordham Plaza, which is what the Bx55 LTD does now. The Bx15 Local will run out of Kingsbridge just like the Bx55. The Bx15 LTD will run between Fordham Plaza and 125 St but make LTD stops. It'll be similar to the current Bx15 and run out of West Farms depot. 

So in other words, the Bx15 local on weekdays will be pretty much the same as the Bx55 operationally, except it runs local and there's no service above Fordham Plaza. The Bx15 LTD will be pretty much the same as the Bx15 local right now, except it makes LTD stops between 149 St and Fordham Plaza.

The first part of your question, I can't give you a definite answer. I know there's a service center out there but as to where, I don't know

The second part of your question, there are still a few buses that are going around with the MTA livery instead of the current pumpkin-looking buses. The older ones are still gonna have the blue/orange stripe and those aren't being repainted from what I'm hearing.

The third part of your question is because they are getting Nostrand Av ready for the upcoming B44 SBS. They doing work as far up as Flushing Av all the way down to Fulton St, then again all around Flatbush junction. Its Gibbs be messed up for a while.

...hope that helps

Thank you for your response. I'm not really a bus person, except for Brooklyn, so I do read the random forums from time to time to keep up with the news.. Knowledge is power, or so I've been told.

Doesnt the Q10 make a left turn to 80 Rd then Austin St? b/c i see some Q10s making a right turn to Queens Blvd to pick up passengers from Kews Garden RD

I was going to ask the same question. I believe it has something to do with making service fast.

The Rockaway Blvd & 150th Avenue branches pick up at the Queens Blvd side. JFK Airport LCL(lefferts blvd LCL and Rockaway/130th Street LCL) and LTD is picked up over at the Kew Gardens Road side.

Edited by Cait Sith

So the Bx15 local is being changed once the Bx15 LTD replaces the Bx55?

Yes. On weekdays the Bx15 local will only run between The Hub (149 St) and Fordham Plaza, which is what the Bx55 LTD does now. The Bx15 Local will run out of Kingsbridge just like the Bx55. The Bx15 LTD will run between Fordham Plaza and 125 St but make LTD stops. It'll be similar to the current Bx15 and run out of West Farms depot. 

So in other words, the Bx15 local on weekdays will be pretty much the same as the Bx55 operationally, except it runs local and there's no service above Fordham Plaza. The Bx15 LTD will be pretty much the same as the Bx15 local right now, except it makes LTD stops between 149 St and Fordham Plaza.

To make life easier, I look at it this way:

Bx15 local --> intraborough route (stays in the bronx, no manhattan)

Bx15 LTD -->  interborough route (remains serving bronx & manhattan)

Quick Observations

So I'm riding the LIRR westbound this am and between Bethpage and Hicksville I noticed some buses parked at some facility. The buses were painted in NYCT colors, blue and white, so was this some repair facility ?

As we approached the junction at Hicksville divide I thought I saw another blue and white bus, N73. I thought NICE painted their buses a different color.

After a transfer at Jamaica to a Brooklyn train leaving the Nostrand Ave station I noticed major roadwork on Nostrand Ave around Fulton St which had traffic screwed up. What was that about? Thanks in advance. I remember the old folks telling me "you learn something new every day". Now I'm the old folk and still curious. Carry on.

- Last question, the answer is what Fresh Pond said; it's setting up for +SBS+.... They were doing the same work around Church/Nostrand for the past couple weeks now, carving a niche from the sidewalk & planting trees on the same side of the street (on nostrand b/w church & erasmus, since you're familiar w/ E. Flatbush).....

(side note: the planting trees part, they're tryna make church av "green" east of flatbush av; that's a small part of the reason why B35's are undergoing the current route diversion onto linden..... It's part of an entire project that involves tryna revitalize church av..... I smell gentrification happening in this area in the next generation... Had a chat w/ 3 of my elders a couple mos. ago about the construction on church & what not & all 3 of em said " ....it's (gentrification's) already happening" - each of them had frowns on their faces when they said it too.....)

- As for NICE's fleet.... yeah bro, all of their buses aren't painted in that bright ass orange color scheme as of yet....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yes. On weekdays the Bx15 local will only run between The Hub (149 St) and Fordham Plaza, which is what the Bx55 LTD does now. The Bx15 Local will run out of Kingsbridge just like the Bx55. The Bx15 LTD will run between Fordham Plaza and 125 St but make LTD stops. It'll be similar to the current Bx15 and run out of West Farms depot.  So in other words, the Bx15 local on weekdays will be pretty much the same as the Bx55 operationally, except it runs local and there's no service above Fordham Plaza. The Bx15 LTD will be pretty much the same as the Bx15 local right now, except it makes LTD stops between 149 St and Fordham Plaza.

And on weekends it goes back to its current service? I believe the flyer I saw on the Bx7 yesterday intimated that.

I saw a LFSA on the M96 this morning.  I had a to do a double take.  It looked like it was in service, but I've never seen an artic on the M96 before.  I was coming down 96th on the BxM1.  

Likely it's just 100th, or should I say Tuskegee as mismanaged as ever.

Anyway, I'd take the LSFA over an NG any day.

lol... I generally don't pay attention much to the M96 for whatever reason, probably because they get all of the garbage buses.  :lol:

Don't fault yourself, LOL. So much has moved in Manhattan it isn't even funny. In fact the other day I forgot Charleston in Staten Island even existed, being that it opened in 2011, and that I only recently found out.

In the end, all this is just trivial stuff. Not all that important.

Yesterday, I took the Q39 under the assumption that the first stop was at 42nd Road and Jackson or 28th Street, but the timetable lists it as 28th Street/Queensboro Plaza South.

That's actually a problem I have with the MTA's timetables in general..... for a lot of the routes, they list the starting point of a route the same as that of the endpoint.... That's good if it's true for a particular route that has the last dropoff stop the same as its first pickup, but for where it's not the case, they should be a little more accurate.... For some routes, they actually do (an example is the Q11/21 timetable), but for most, they do not.....

As far as the Q39 in-particular, it's just another case where the MTA isn't accurate....

- The last dropoff stop coming from Ridgewood is over there along queens plz south between 24th/25th

(which is where the layover is also taken)....

- The first pickup stop going to Ridgewood is (normally) at 28th/42nd (on 28th) - But since construction, it was moved to 42nd b/w jackson & 28th (midblock).... Now I don't expect them to update the timetable just for a construction regulation, but the difference in distance b/w the (normal) first pickup & the last dropoff stops on the Q39 around QBP is a good trek for anyone.....

(It's not like, for example, the Q66 & the Q69 that has its last dropoff, layover, and first pickup all on that same side of the block [28th, just south of queens plz. south]).....

You definitely have a gripe here.

Edited by B35 via Church