BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

When the ridership stats go in, you'll see a huge increase in the following routes.

B1- self explanatory, it will be HELL when school starts back.

B6- maybe it was always like this, but can they make the limited have limited stops south of Coney Island Ave?

B8- more pple taking the B8 since they don't have to transfer.

B70- with this new rerouting

S79 SBS. (Yeah, I can see this route getting artics, or increasing the headways from every six minutes during rush hours to every three). It's like the #1 route in Staten Island, and the PM rush is the worst. It's like pple don't want to take the ferry, so they take the 79, or those who don't feel like paying the toll, take the 79. Then you probably have those who refuse to take the express and take the 79, plus the original 79 riders. Those little NGs suffer, they sound like RTS, some screeching sounds come along when accelerating, and I saw black smoke (gray smoke), come from the tailpipe on 4247, 4250, 4267 and 4274.

The S53 is still by far #1 on Staten Island, though I'm sure the S79 will continue to gain nicely now that it has SBS service along with the population growth on the Mid Island and South Shore, but I think the S79 should get artics if possible.  I agree that those little buses can't handle the loads.  I missed the last X27 last Sunday and just backtracked to the X1 via the S79SBS since I had no idea what sort of construction was happening on the subway and was interested in any "surprises".  Walked down to 86th and 4th and that bus was packed all the way down to New Dorp Lane. (Yes I rode that far down because #1 Shop Rite is nearby and #2 I wanted a seat on the X1 lol).

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If yall is talking about number route on SI in terms of ridership, IIRC it was the Hylan Blvd express routes. I remember seeing the ridership stats posted and the Hylan Blvd express bus routes has the highest ridership out of all the routes in SI, it was shocking to me as I thought it would be the SI-BK routes as well but it was the X1-9.

If yall is talking about number route on SI in terms of ridership, IIRC it was the Hylan Blvd express routes. I remember seeing the ridership stats posted and the Hylan Blvd express bus routes has the highest ridership out of all the routes in SI, it was shocking to me as I thought it would be the SI-BK routes as well but it was the X1-9.

No we're just talking about Staten Island local buses.  As for the express buses on Staten Island, what people fail to realize is that Staten Island is the richest borough in terms of median household income.  Even with all of the millionaires in the city, Staten Island still has a higher income, and so with the lack of subway, there are plenty of households that can afford and use the express bus, and this is especially true on the Mid Island and South Shore along Hylan and numerous parts of the North Shore, mainly around or south of Forest Avenue.  Even when the fares go up on the express bus, you can expect the express buses to remain healthy in terms of ridership.  You also have folks from the North Shore who will drive to Hylan for the express buses, since they are frequent.

"Measured by median income, Manhattan and (especially) Brooklyn are much poorer than you think. Manhattan’s median annual household income is $66,739, while Brooklyn’s is a mere $44,850. Its less fashionable neighbor, Queens, outearns Brooklyn at $54,373 per year. New York City’s most suburban borough, Staten Island, is also its richest, with a median household income of $70,295, while the suburban counties surrounding New York are all richer than any of the boroughs."

Source: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2014/01/new_york_city_census_data_manhattan_and_brooklyn_are_much_poorer_than_you.html

A car rear (Cadillac) ended a BxM2 near 34 street and 8th Avenue (3085).

The front if the car looked like if it was disassembled and destroyed in a scrap yard, the bus only had the bumper displaced. Bus had to be taken out of service. Police was there, MTA personnel, and everyone else, I guess.

Im also assuming that trip will not be replaced, because they don't have an extra bus nearby.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

A car rear (Cadillac) ended a BxM2 near 34 street and 8th Avenue (3085).

The front if the car looked like if it was disassembled and destroyed in a scrap yard, the bus only had the bumper displaced. Bus had to be taken out of service. Police was there, MTA personnel, and everyone else, I guess.

Im also assuming that trip will not be replaced, because they don't have an extra bus nearby.

They'll have to call someone to come from Yonkers... It's only hourly service today, so they'll have to replace that driver. In those situations, I've called the depot they've had another bus sent down, and we don't pay or dip the card.  A while ago a B/O was sick.  He was taken out of service and a filler came from Yonkers down to 34th & 6th to do the last Sunday trip of the night. 

Someone must've been at the parade...  :P

Don't know if this has been already posted but there are two more express headed for SI, one is the X20 so far its suppose to go from sand lane and hylan into the city that was presented to SI rep. The other got the go ahead. So they are making the times and etc now dunno when it goes into effect but it will add a Super Express to the X1 cutting the current amount of stops on the SI end from 44 to 14. Union still not sure if they want to send some or all to 23rd or all to CPS

Edited by IronboundNJT

It would be nice to have another East New York route in Bed Stuy aside from the B15 & B25. More specifically, in the upper section of Bed Stuy. (Right Before Willamsburg). Sometimes I wish my B29 idea was real because It's a bit much walking to Fulton Street to catch the (A)(C) or B25. I know there are routes that go North/South that can take you to Fulton but it would still be helpful to have an additional East/West bus route that's out of ENY besides the B25. There's multiple Fresh Pond routes that go East/West. Why not add another ENY route.

You answered your own question... sort of.

There are enough east-west routes running in Bed Stuy (that happen to run out of FP), so there's no real need to add another route traveling east-west based on the depot it runs out of......

And I just saw two B25 short turns to Cadam Plaza lol. Didn't know they actually used that short turn.

Who knows.... Something probably happened with other buses along the line for that to happen....

When the ridership stats go in, you'll see a huge increase in the following routes.

B1- self explanatory, it will be HELL when school starts back.

B6- maybe it was always like this, but can they make the limited have limited stops south of Coney Island Ave?

B8- more pple taking the B8 since they don't have to transfer.

B70- with this new rerouting

S79 SBS. (Yeah, I can see this route getting artics, or increasing the headways from every six minutes during rush hours to every three). It's like the #1 route in Staten Island, and the PM rush is the worst. It's like pple don't want to take the ferry, so they take the 79, or those who don't feel like paying the toll, take the 79. Then you probably have those who refuse to take the express and take the 79, plus the original 79 riders. Those little NGs suffer, they sound like RTS, some screeching sounds come along when accelerating, and I saw black smoke (gray smoke), come from the tailpipe on 4247, 4250, 4267 and 4274.

Compared to what, It's ridership figures from the previous year? I think you're exaggerating with "huge increase"...

B1: Yeah, there'll be a shitload more ridership when school starts back, but the increase in ridership b/w the summer time & when schools starts up won't be that much different this year, compared to any other year b/w 2010 & 2013 (since the B1 & B64 swapped terminals) for there to be a huge increase in overall ridership....

B6: Maybe there'll be an increase when they open that BJ's down around Shore Pkwy, but I don't see a reason why this route would garner a huge increase b/w this year & last year.... Remember, this is a route that carries over 40k riders weekdays - it would be scary to think the B6 would have a huge increase... Lol

B8: Certainly there will be an increase, for the reason you stated.... Which will negatively affect the B70's numbers.

B70: Nah fam, not a chance will there be any type of increase in ridership on that route.... That route has seen significant ridership increases between 2010 & 2012 (which is reflective of the reroute that covered the Bay Ridge portion of the B37)....  Translated, there will be an adverse effect with overall ridership on this route, now that it's back running along its old routing (what you're calling a new rerouting).... In laymen's, a decrease in usage.....

S79 SBS: I doubt there will be a huge increase, per se.... However, I am interested in seeing the discrepancy b/w [s79 ridership pre-SBS] & [s79-SBS ridership]

Edited by B35 via Church

There are enough east-west routes running in Bed Stuy (that happen to run out of FP), so there's no real need to add another route traveling east-west based on the depot it runs out of......

Who knows.... Something probably happened with other buses along the line for that to happen....

Compared to what, It's ridership figures from the previous year? I think you're exaggerating with "huge increase"...

B1: Yeah, there'll be a shitload more ridership when school starts back, but the increase in ridership b/w the summer time & when schools starts up won't be that much different this year, compared to any other year b/w 2010 & 2013 (since the B1 & B64 swapped terminals) for there to be a huge increase in overall ridership....

B6: Maybe there'll be an increase when they open that BJ's down around Shore Pkwy, but I don't see a reason why this route would garner a huge increase b/w this year & last year.... Remember, this is a route that carries over 40k riders weekdays - it would be scary to think the B6 would have a huge increase... Lol

B8: Certainly there will be an increase, for the reason you stated.... Which will negatively affect the B70's numbers.

B70: Nah fam, not a chance will there be any type of increase in ridership on that route.... That route has seen significant ridership increases between 2010 & 2012 (which is reflective of the reroute that covered the Bay Ridge portion of the B37).... Translated, there will be an adverse effect with overall ridership on this route, now that it's back running along its old routing (what you're calling a new rerouting).... In laymen's, a decrease in usage.....

S79 SBS: I doubt there will be a huge increase, per se.... However, I am interested in seeing the discrepancy b/w [s79 ridership pre-SBS] & [s79-SBS ridership]

I see what you mean, so the B6 that's just normal overcrowding that it has, as for the B70, I said that because I now see the bus more packed when it heads to 92st and gatling pl. I thought it represented extra riders, but maybe those are just regular riders who don't have to transfer.

With the s79 though, it seems that the PM rush is where it gets the real rush. The line in Bay Ridge usually goes down the block from 86th to 87th, and ALL buses are packed. So I had this belief that if a bus is packed, when it normally isn't means an increase in ridership, but other things play a role.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Don't know if this has been already posted but there are two more express headed for SI, one is the X20 so far its suppose to go from sand lane and hylan into the city that was presented to SI rep. The other got the go ahead. So they are making the times and etc now dunno when it goes into effect but it will add a Super Express to the X1 cutting the current amount of stops on the SI end from 44 to 14. Union still not sure if they want to send some or all to 23rd or all to CPS

Why is the union not pushing to restore express bus service for the North Shore? The union should be ashamed of itself for catering solely to the South Shore.  Meanwhile absolutely no improvements for any neighborhoods that aren't North of the SIE, nor any restorations of service... Yet another reason I left Staten Island... Folks on the North Shore are going to Hylan Blvd just to get adequate express bus service.  SI reps should realize this and start calling for improvements for the North Shore.

Why is the union not pushing to restore express bus service for the North Shore? The union should be ashamed of itself for catering solely to the South Shore.  Meanwhile absolutely no improvements for any neighborhoods that aren't North of the SIE, nor any restorations of service... Yet another reason I left Staten Island... Folks on the North Shore are going to Hylan Blvd just to get adequate express bus service.  SI reps should realize this and start calling for improvements for the North Shore.

also why not pester  Malliotakis's office since i think she's the only one leading the charge regarding the north shore express bus

They'll have to call someone to come from Yonkers... It's only hourly service today, so they'll have to replace that driver. In those situations, I've called the depot they've had another bus sent down, and we don't pay or dip the card.  A while ago a B/O was sick.  He was taken out of service and a filler came from Yonkers down to 34th & 6th to do the last Sunday trip of the night. 

Someone must've been at the parade...  :P

That's not what I meant. What I meant is (because that's a BxM1 interline, based on the run box) an operator would be called (which you are right in that case), however, would cover whatever Bronx neigborhood (Riverdale, Woodlawn, Wakefield) or Yonkers instead of from 34 street, because by the time the fill in gets to 34, it would be past the time the bus behind is slated to leave, and whatever trip back to manhattan that was supposed to be isn't being covered (if there is one). 

also why not pester  Malliotakis's office since i think she's the only one leading the charge regarding the north shore express bus

Because Malliotakis has her own agenda and she only represents the East Shore when it comes to the North Shore, which part of the X18 happens to run through. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on here and that's why a lot of North Shore residents are packing and moving.  The union along are Staten Island politicians and the (MTA) are catering to the South Shore.  Some SI B/O's live on the South Shore so they're just taking care of their own and basically telling the North Shore to screw off when it comes to express bus service. 

That's not what I meant. What I meant is (because that's a BxM1 interline, based on the run box) an operator would be called (which you are right in that case), however, would cover whatever Bronx neigborhood (Riverdale, Woodlawn, Wakefield) or Yonkers instead of from 34 street, because by the time the fill in gets to 34, it would be past the time the bus behind is slated to leave, and whatever trip back to manhattan that was supposed to be isn't being covered (if there is one). 

That's a good assumption but not necessarily set in stone.  Having folks wait an hour for the next bus would not sit well with those folks, and if they can send a bus down to 34th fast enough they would, trust me.  The other issue is the potential of overcrowding.

I see what you mean, so the B6 that's just normal overcrowding that it has, as for the B70, I said that because I now see the bus more packed when it heads to 92st and gatling pl. I thought it represented extra riders, but maybe those are just regular riders who don't have to transfer.

With the s79 though, it seems that the PM rush is where it gets the real rush. The line in Bay Ridge usually goes down the block from 86th to 87th, and ALL buses are packed. So I had this belief that if a bus is packed, when it normally isn't means an increase in ridership, but other things play a role.

Yep, normal B6 crowding... Not much can really be done with it.

The B70, maybe it did garner more riders heading towards 92nd & the hospital, compared to its old routing (which is a good thing).... But you still have to account for the loss of riders on the reverted B70 - since it no longer serves 3rd av in Bay Ridge, and running from the hospital directly to 95th st (R), before it even hits 3rd av.... Because see, from the hospital, you had/have those folks that either take the B8 to the (D) or (used to take) the B8 to the (R), before the route truncation, sans hawk trips (which is the only time the B8 ran to the (R) station).....

That very last statement, it's good that you at least admit that... And don't even feel bad about it, because it isn't just you by a longshot that makes that assertion/has that belief... I'd go as far as to say plenty commuters make that assertion, because for the most part, they don't know about the route they use from beginning to end - just the portion of the route that gets them from point a to point b (unless it's a route that they're infact riding from beginning to end.... usually the shorter routes (like a B42), compared to the moderate to longer distanced routes).....

The B70, maybe it did garner more riders heading towards 92nd & the hospital, compared to its old routing (which is a good thing).... But you still have to account for the loss of riders on the reverted B70 - since it no longer serves 3rd av in Bay Ridge, and running from the hospital directly to 95th st (R), before it even hits 3rd av.... Because see, from the hospital, you had/have those folks that either take the B8 to the (D) or (used to take) the B8 to the (R), before the route truncation, sans hawk trips (which is the only time the B8 ran to the (R) station).....

I actually do see the B70 gaining some ridership mainly due to the Chinese population in Sunset Park and the growing Chinese population in Dyker Heights.  

I actually do see the B70 gaining some ridership mainly due to the Chinese population in Sunset Park and the growing Chinese population in Dyker Heights.  

We're talking about the overall B70 though, from terminal to terminal....

I'll just get straight to the point.....

The overall losses in ridership are not gonna be due to the Brooklyn Chinatown portion - The B70 is their lifeline, so to speak, when it comes to the bus over there.....

The overall losses in ridership are gonna come on the B70 b/w the hospital (VA hospital) & (just before it gets to) Brooklyn's chinatown.....

In other words, there were MUCH more people that rode the B70 b/w [8th av/Bay ridge av] & VA hospital when it ran via bay ridge av, 3rd av, 4th av, towards 95th st (R), en route to the hospital..... Compared to the old (now current) B70 that's gonna take 7th av & take fort hamilton pkwy., en route to the hospital......

Yeah but it would still be nice to have a ENY route at easy reach to people that live on streets like Flushing, Myrtle & Willoughby. And yeah probably had something to do with the B25 runs yesterday. Edited by E For Erica

We're talking about the overall B70 though, from terminal to terminal....

I'll just get straight to the point.....

The overall losses in ridership are not gonna be due to the Brooklyn Chinatown portion - The B70 is their lifeline, so to speak, when it comes to the bus over there.....

The overall losses in ridership are gonna come on the B70 b/w the hospital (VA hospital) & (just before it gets to) Brooklyn's chinatown.....

In other words, there were MUCH more people that rode the B70 b/w [8th av/Bay ridge av] & VA hospital when it ran via bay ridge av, 3rd av, 4th av, towards 95th st (R), en route to the hospital..... Compared to the old (now current) B70 that's gonna take 7th av & take fort hamilton pkwy., en route to the hospital......

I realize what you're saying but I think it's going to drop to that degree. Not as healthy as it was for sure, but not as bad as you may think...