BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I believe it happened (pre-posting of the video here).... What reason would you have to lie about that.....

Anyway, the last bus looked pretty packed... How were the loads of the first 2 QM11's?

On the surface (for anyone that knows how the QM11 runs), it sounds odd to have that happen on that route.....

Just like me seeing back to back (literally) B12's around 4:50am (albany/winthrop) early yesterday morning heading towards Parkside (Q) (sorry, no video).....

^^No excuse for that whatsoever; no bus route should be bunching at that time of day, not even the Q44 (that probably carries the heaviest that I can think of, off top, that time a day) - which I've also had happen one early sunday morning whilst @ Flushing (first bus, which was the bus I got on, was jammed packed.... then out of nowhere, a 2nd bus blew past us whilst on the whitestone); it was closer to 4am than 5am IIRC, and worse, it was on a weekend....

I know, I was just posting it because I had it around.

The first one was like half filled, the second had like 6 or 7 riders, and the third one was about 80% full. I guess since two buses were already in front, and the third was full, it didn't stop (which, obviously, is a very good thought, given how that stop only has space for two buses). It also troubling when you have another configuration of 3 buses (the QM10 6 and 3 Avenue bus at the same time, and a QM11 as well) arriving at that stop, which has happened several times. 

This is why I think the configuration should be changed at Hoffman Drive, because there needs to be more space over there for the express buses. I don't know how to do it other than have the QM10 stop where the Q11/Q21 stop, because there, it doesn't impede with the QM11 (and the QM10 as scheduled wouldn't back up Q11/Q21's at all, unless they decide to run late.

Another thing I noticed is, there's a significant amount of people who get dropped off, either by husband or wife dropping them off, or someone else at the express bus stop over there, which seemed interesting to me. Kinda like a mini park-n-ride. I seem most come from Queens Blvd, and some from Hoffman, but still an interesting concept.

Damn Charleston too?

I was dead when I saw 2 3rd Gens waiting in line though. Thought I was straight tripping.

Yup, even Charleston.

And ditto on that note. When I saw four of those and a Charleston Orion V all lined up, I was immediately floored.

Over at SubChat, there's this thread about some World's Fair-only bus routes that ran from 1964 to 1965.

http://www.subchat.com/buschat/readflat.asp?Id=296825

Posted by RetiredSLD on Wed Aug 20 23:47:32 2014, in response to Re: 1964 --65 world fair details...wanted, posted by gbs on Wed Aug 20 23:24:59 2014.

HE NYCTA RAN 2 ROUTES FROM BROOKLYN B80 FROM FLATBUSH/NOSTRAND, FLATBUSH,FLATLANDS,RKWY PKY, HEGEMAN AVE, NEW LOTS FOUNTAIN,SUTTER, ATLANTIC TO FAIR....B81 VIA EST PKY /UTICA PITKIN RKWY AVE FULTON ST ATLANTIC TO FAIR. BO RAN EVRY 20MIN 900A-1140P RUNNING TIME 56MIN
B81 9A-1230A EVERY 30 MIN RUNNING TIME 47 MIN. ACCORDING TO BULLETIN ISSUED 1964-54 FLATBUSH AND EAST NEW YORK WERE RESPONSIBLE PICK WAS HELD AT ENY WHERE ORIGINAL SCHOOL ROOM WAS ON SIDE OF DEPOT

So there used to be a B80 and a B81.

I dont know if this rumor is accurate or not but: I heard Yonkers Depot is shutting down in 2015 

Not sure if this is a fact or opinion

I think that was mentioned a bunch earlier this year. Not sure where they'd move those routes to, but I guess developers really want that land.

I think that was mentioned a bunch earlier this year. Not sure where they'd move those routes to, but I guess developers really want that land.

If it does happen, all of the routes will go to Eastchester most likely, which will send the Q50 and the Bx23 to College Point.

I would disagree on Bx23... If Eastchester Depot do give up Bx23.. It will or should go to Gun Hill Depot.. Bx23 is co-op city shuttle.. Not a big deal for Gun Hill Depot.... All Express bus route should not go to Eastchester Depot... You got Bxm1 , Bxm2 , Bxm3 , BXm4 that is closer to Kingsbridge Depot.. Kingsbridge Depot should take Bxm1 , Bxm2 , Bxm3 , Bxm4..

Which depot is bigger Flatbush Or Ulmer? IMO flatbush

From what I hear, flatbush depot was about the same size as ulmer park before the addition was built at flatbush. But as it stands now, Flatbush is listed at 244,000 square feet and ulmer park is listed at 118,000 square feet.

From what I hear, flatbush depot was about the same size as ulmer park before the addition was built at flatbush. But as it stands now, Flatbush is listed at 244,000 square feet and ulmer park is listed at 118,000 square feet.

Thanks for that info you are right Flatbush is way bigger in square feet 244,000 and Ulmer 118,000

There was always something that caught my eye in Downtown Brooklyn but it was never explained to me.

Before Barclay's Center was a thing. They had that yard for LIRR trains, but next to that yard, there was a lot I would always see that had mounds of RTSs and such sitting in that lot. Was that a lot for buses pending scrap/retirement?

There was always something that caught my eye in Downtown Brooklyn but it was never explained to me.

Before Barclay's Center was a thing. They had that yard for LIRR trains, but next to that yard, there was a lot I would always see that had mounds of RTSs and such sitting in that lot. Was that a lot for buses pending scrap/retirement?

Carlton Yard.

http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=50&pos=1

mid_4576-4611_carlton_04222004mp.jpg

It was used in that storage/retired bus capacity.

http://talk.nycsubway.org/perl/read?bustalk=99868

Edited by GojiMet86

Good old days... the carlton yard....

But what I came in here to say was.... I thought ppl. on twitter (and B32 riders) were exaggerating, but the (G) shuttle really is that much better than the actual (G)....

Now if I can only say the same for the (Q), (A), or the (2) (b/w franklin & junction) shuttles.... Lol.....

Speaking of the B32, I was wrong about how fast that route would accumulate ridership (I still don't think it should exist though.... but since it does, the B62 should be removed from diverting to serve WBP).... It's like, out of Court Sq (or, technically, where the B32 terminates), I'm seeing more ppl. on brooklyn bound B32's over B62's!

^^ But to be fair, the (G) shuttles are really hurting B62 usage out of Queens (since them shits are free).... This tells you where (or, how far) riders that take the Brooklyn bound 62 out of Queens are generally going to..... f*ck would I pay 2.50 to ride from queens plaza to somewhere along manhattan av, when I can walk to court sq (or get off the (7) at court sq. instead of QBP) & take one of those (G) shuttles....

Just how many variants of them are there anyway?

One day, I got on a shuttle bus that traveled along manhattan av, and another day, the bus shot straight down mcguinness (luckily, the B43 was sitting at a red as I walked that one block from mcguinness to manhattan (av)......

Edited by B35 via Church