BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is up with some buses not having GPS anyway?  It's almost like false advertising.  By now all of the buses on the road should be equipped with the tracking device, but there are still NUMEROUS buses without it.  Really annoying too.... I still get buses that I can't track just about every week and I suspect it's because they have not been outfitted with the equipment, and we're 2+ years into BusTime now...

What is up with some buses not having GPS anyway? It's almost like false advertising. By now all of the buses on the road should be equipped with the tracking device, but there are still NUMEROUS buses without it. Really annoying too.... I still get buses that I can't track just about every week and I suspect it's because they have not been outfitted with the equipment, and we're 2+ years into BusTime now...

1. It costs thousands of dollars just to get it for one single bus.

2. Most of the ones without it are ones that were pulled off retirement.

3. The GPS on some buses acts up so the tracking on some buses might not work when needed.

Well there are over 5000+ buses in the fleet. Perhaps they don't know which ones don't have the GPS? Either that or the device isn't working properly.

1. It costs thousands of dollars just to get it for one single bus.

2. Most of the ones without it are ones that were pulled off retirement.

3. The GPS on some buses acts up so the tracking on some buses might not work when needed.

Actually tracking local buses hasn't been an issue. It's been all express buses that are relatively new and should have the tracking device that don't have them.  Those buses should've had the device almost two years ago...

Advertising a program and not knowing which buses have the device or don't or which has a problem is pretty pathetic.  That should've all been planned years ago when they starting up the program.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

What is up with some buses not having GPS anyway? It's almost like false advertising. By now all of the buses on the road should be equipped with the tracking device, but there are still NUMEROUS buses without it. Really annoying too.... I still get buses that I can't track just about every week and I suspect it's because they have not been outfitted with the equipment, and we're 2+ years into BusTime now...

It's not that they don't have them, they have them. It's a matter of them being activated or not.

Edited by Cait Sith

Either 7423 broke down or something; it's been in the same place for an hour already on bustime (on the BM2). There's is currently only one bus, which just left the terminal, on the BM2 bound to Canarsie, while normally there's two (one leaving, and one in the Canarsie). Also, the 3:00 PM BM3 is MIA (to Manhattan).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

It's not that they don't have them, they have them. It's a matter of them being activated or not.

Why wouldn't they be activated?  It's odd because these are all Yonkers buses, and they only have what 70 - 80 buses... Meanwhile I rarely run into issues tracking local buses all around the city, even the RTSs...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Drivers simply disable them at times.

Yeah I'm sure that happens too, but there are definitely several buses that either don't have them or they don't work because a different driver has the bus and they're never on BusTime.  I tend to get a lot of the same buses regularly since it's a small depot and I find that during the month I may not be able to track a bus sometimes 3 - 4 times a week with me going to and from work.

Drivers simply disable them at times.

Simply? It's not that easy to disable them. There's a special key for the compartment in which the unit is stored, which most drivers do not have.

It's mostly on the maintenance side of things. Sometimes they do work on the buses, both that are mechanical and electrical.

So, the M12 is going to be at Quill with the X21 as Castleton, right?

You've asked these questions so many times in so many threads, and you keep getting the same answer. Why do you keep repeating the same thing over and over?

Edited by Cait Sith

You know which depot was X90 based from. That Michael J. Quill Depot.. Does X90 routes existed or discounted .. I can imagine what bus will Michael J. Quill Depot will put X90..

Can you post clearer than this? I don't completely understand what you're trying to say.

What if there were express buses that ran between outer boroughs or in the boroughs themselves (like X90 type but in outer boroughs) and basically used highways except for a couple of stops.

Most would fail. Look at the X32, and the X14 before it was what it is today (R8X) for example.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

LMAO... My BxM2 bus actually broke down at 57th and 7th... Guy turned the bus off and on and then it just wouldn't come on at all... It didn't sound good on the expressway either so I wasn't surprised... Some of these buses are starting to show their age, not necessarily inside (interiors are kept up very well) but mainly with the sound of the motors... Also had a BxM1 bus on Friday morning that had pretty crappy AC...