BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Wrong, divided by 5.

The line originally had more buses in the AM, all the extra buses were eliminated, to leave three in the AM, and two in the afternoon

http://web.archive.org/web/20050325201902/http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20030323123139/http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf

They were eliminated in like 06 or 07

http://web.archive.org/web/20070209223207/http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf

And then in '08 OR 09 (I'm pretty sure as service change without officially making it permanent to save money), buses were rerouted to use the quicker HHE going back

http://web.archive.org/web/20090313170247/http://mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf

So, 10 students per bus. Why that route had a jump in ridership from 08 to 09, guess from new admissions. The old route had only <5 riders.

But here's the thing: You're saying you can't judge the route with one bus each, and you're staying that it was used. So what point are you trying to make here?

That's actually not true...the line did have 50 people per day (currently looking at Ridership statistics), but the Flushing/Jamaica branch had more than the rest. There was no even split. Oakland Gardens and Bayside carried the least collectively.

To give you an example, the line carried only 29 riders in 2009, and just 21 more in 2010....not that major of an increase.

I came up with 50 based on what YankeesPwnMets said below... 2009 and 2010 were recession years, so of course ridership would go down.  That happened with many routes. Still if you split 29 students between 3 buses that's almost 10 riders per bus and given that there was only one bus for each area and the time that they ran that's still respectable. 

Bronx Science alumni here. They did have private bus service to Queens and Manhattan. Most of the kids who lived far out in Queens (Little Neck, Fresh Meadows, Douglaston, etc) would shell out the money to take the private buses. The kids who lived near subway stations (Elmhurst, Jackson Heights, Flushing, etc) usually just took the subway. I believe the X32 was cheaper than the yellow buses, which was why some students opted to take the X32. All in all, however, a large majority of the kids used the private bus service. Maybe 50 or so students at most actually regularly utilized the X32

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politics....also, at one point, there were quite a bit of folks out at Oakland Gardens taking the x32 out there, but that dropped drastically over time.

Actually, scratch what I said....I misread the statistics. I thought it was per day...

The line had 29 RIDERS a YEAR in 2008...and 50 riders a YEAR in 2009...

I could be wrong with this, but in addition to more people possibly taking the X32, the diversion of the Oakland/Jamaica combo probably attracted more of the AM students to use the bus (of the Jamaica branch; which happened in 2009).

I came up with 50 based on what YankeesPwnMets said below... 2009 and 2010 were recession years, so of course ridership would go down.  That happened with many routes. Still if you split 29 students between 3 6 buses that's almost 10  5 riders per bus and given that there was only one bus for each area and the time that they ran that's still respectable. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I came up with 50 based on what YankeesPwnMets said below... 2009 and 2010 were recession years, so of course ridership would go down.  That happened with many routes. Still if you split 29 students between 3 buses that's almost 10 riders per bus and given that there was only one bus for each area and the time that they ran that's still respectable. 

I had a typo. Meant for 2008 and 2009, not 09/10.

The problem is that you're going on about with this theory of splitting the students, when the fact is that only one branch carried the most out of the others. Bayside & Oakland Gardens collectively carried the least, Jamaica/Flushing carried the most because it stopped at all of the major hubs.

To add onto this, the only real times that x32 was used was in the AM which is the sticking point of the above argument. The PM, ridership was abysmal per day in both 2008 and 2009(looking at the statistics as we speak).

The line was used, yes, but not to its capacity, especially during the PM. There was no more than 16 people(5-6 people per bus, more or less).

Edited by Cait Sith

Can anyone answer this question?  Does any1 know wat that sound is when a bus is about to stop and it makes "CHIT" noise.  the all New flyer models on the MTA have it the 1993 orion's had it b4 they retired and orion cng's do it.  Does any1 know wat I'm talking about? If not this may help 

@ mark 0:16.  And how come all the CNG buses does that grumble sound when the gear shifts?  I heard its called a "retarder" or something.  Please comment.

I had a typo. Meant for 2008 and 2009, not 09/10.

The problem is that you're going on about with this theory of splitting the students, when the fact is that only one branch carried the most out of the others. Bayside & Oakland Gardens collectively carried the least, Jamaica/Flushing carried the most because it stopped at all of the major hubs.

To add onto this, the only real times that x32 was used was in the AM which is the sticking point of the above argument. The PM, ridership was abysmal per day in both 2008 and 2009(looking at the statistics as we speak).

The line was used, yes, but not to its capacity, especially during the PM. There was no more than 16 people(5-6 people per bus, more or less).

Well who would expect the line to be used to its capacity looking at how many buses were provided and when?  I don't get why they even had the service if they had cheese buses too... I think it was poor planning by the (MTA) .  Either have one or the other and if you're going to have the X32 they should've gotten more feedback from the communities as to how to best run them to meet the students' needs.

Can anyone answer this question?  Does any1 know wat that sound is when a bus is about to stop and it makes "CHIT" noise.  the all New flyer models on the MTA have it the 1993 orion's had it b4 they retired and orion cng's do it.  Does any1 know wat I'm talking about? If not this may help 

@ mark 0:16.  And how come all the CNG buses does that grumble sound when the gear shifts?  I heard its called a "retarder" or something.  Please comment.

The sound you are hearing is the retarder disengaging.

Any numbers? Because 3 x21s broke down this Morning....not a very good(official) start.

Damn!

Well, I remember x2728 was on the 21 this morning (didn't stick around for long, since I had stuff to do)

14934035740_91e97a2f3e_o.jpg

There was also a bus on bustime that for a while was at 9.0 miles from 8 Avenue (don't know if that broke down).

For castleton buses, 2213 and 2917 were out there.

I would go check out the PM X21's, but I'm too lazy to :P

Rode the M12 yesterday (towards columbus circle)..... I just don't see too many people in the future taking this thing NB, sad to say.... Southbound, has a better chance for the route to flourish.... The northbound route is basically [West Village (to) Chelsea] riders, or [West Village or Chelsea riders taking it somewhere b/w {the time it hits 57th, and the last stop (which is the exact same stop as the first stop of the NB M10)}]...... I can't see much ridership stemming from areas b/w Chelsea & 57th (not inclusive), NB - it's just too far away from everything, 12th av... Southbound OTOH, at least on 11th av, there's a greater chance for ridership to spawn......

As for the x21, Unless I get out earlier than normal, I have no shot @ getting to 42nd st b/w 6pm & 6:20 (the last outbound x21 trip), since the LIRR takes you to 34th....

I would say that the AM X21's were not so packed, but I will agree with the PM X21's getting full. the 6th Avenue stop is where most people board (from what I've seen).

Rode the M12 yesterday (towards columbus circle)..... I just don't see too many people in the future taking this thing NB, sad to say.... Southbound, has a better chance for the route to flourish.... The northbound route is basically [West Village (to) Chelsea] riders, or [West Village or Chelsea riders taking it somewhere b/w {the time it hits 57th, and the last stop (which is the exact same stop as the first stop of the NB M10)}]...... I can't see much ridership stemming from areas b/w Chelsea & 57th (not inclusive), NB - it's just too far away from everything, 12th av... Southbound OTOH, at least on 11th av, there's a greater chance for ridership to spawn......

As for the x21, Unless I get out earlier than normal, I have no shot @ getting to 42nd st b/w 6pm & 6:20 (the last outbound x21 trip), since the LIRR takes you to 34th....

Yep, the trip I took that day only had one rider on it, lol.

The rear where of what bus?? I prefer sitting in the last two seater on the right hand side unless some jerk takes the seats in the back behind those which was the case tonight so I sat a few rows up.

I'll make sure to do that when I get to ride your bus....