BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What if there were express buses that ran between outer boroughs or in the boroughs themselves (like X90 type but in outer boroughs) and basically used highways except for a couple of stops.

Any market for an express route running b/w (whichever) outerboroughs would be far too narrow...... Consider the main CBD's we have in this city (financial district, midtown manhattan, downtown brooklyn)..... That's what we have to work with (I'm not considering Jamaica, Flushing, and LIC, which are other areas some people consider as our CBD's in this city)..... Anyway, Two of the aforementioned Three main CBD's are already swarmed with express bus service coming from differing outerboroughs.... The remaining one (downtown brooklyn), well, the old Port Richmond - Borough Hall route as you can see, has been defunct since 1990 (or '91).... It was before the advent of MetroTech, which the revitalization process started in 1992....

For the life of me, I cannot see any reason to start up express bus service to/from Flushing, Jamaica, or Long Island City, from/to SI, Brooklyn, or the Bronx.....

The type of route you're describing, would be best left to be handled by way of LTD service, instead of express bus service.... You'll garner far more riders that way (like how the M98 is structured; something like that).....

You know which depot was X90 based from. That Michael J. Quill Depot.. Does X90 routes existed or discounted... I can imagine what bus will Michael J. Quill Depot will put X90..

How can you imagine something happening with something that's defunct?

You asked if it existed or if it was discontinued (you should have waited for the answer to the question, first), then later implicate some type of existence of the route :lol:

The x90 has been discontinued since 2010. That route used MCI's and occcasional 40 footers.

Speaking of occasional occurrences, did they ever run MCI's on the old x32?

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any market for an express route running b/w (whichever) outerboroughs would be far too narrow...... Consider the main CBD's we have in this city (financial district, midtown manhattan, downtown brooklyn)..... That's what we have to work with (I'm not considering Jamaica, Flushing, and LIC, which are other areas some people consider as our CBD's in this city)..... Anyway, Two of the aforementioned Three main CBD's are already swarmed with express bus service coming from differing outerboroughs.... The remaining one (downtown brooklyn), well, the old Port Richmond - Borough Hall route as you can see, has been defunct since 1990 (or '91).... It was before the advent of MetroTech, which the revitalization process started in 1992....

For the life of me, I cannot see any reason to start up express bus service to/from Flushing, Jamaica, or Long Island City, from/to SI, Brooklyn, or the Bronx.....

The type of route you're describing, would be best left to be handled by way of LTD service, instead of express bus service.... You'll garner far more riders that way (like how the M98 is structured; something like that).....

How can you imagine something happening with something that's defunct?

You asked if it existed or if it was discontinued (you should have waited for the answer to the question, first), then later implicate some type of existence of the route :lol:

Speaking of occasional occurrences, did they ever run MCI's on the old x32?

I think they used Primarly Orion V's for the X32, and a viking on occasion (I don't know if CS had MCI's).

LMAO... My BxM2 bus actually broke down at 57th and 7th... Guy turned the bus off and on and then it just wouldn't come on at all... It didn't sound good on the expressway either so I wasn't surprised... Some of these buses are starting to show their age, not necessarily inside (interiors are kept up very well) but mainly with the sound of the motors... Also had a BxM1 bus on Friday morning that had pretty crappy AC...

Yes, and now you'll start hating these as much as the old MCI's (I think they do fine, just sayin', at least the ones at MTA Bus).

Yes, and now you'll start hating these as much as the old MCI's (I think they do fine, just sayin', at least the ones at MTA Bus).

No not at all... These express buses in some cases are going to be 9 years old soon... They are in great shape... I haven't seen too many Yonkers express buses broken down anyway. Their maintenance is probably the best in the system... I have been on SEVERAL of those older MCI's out of Staten Island that either broke down, were saunas, had shocks that were shot, or had to be taken out of service...  <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

No not at all... These express buses in some cases are going to be 9 years old soon... They are in great shape... I haven't seen too many Yonkers express buses broken down anyway. Their maintenance is probably the best in the system... I have been on SEVERAL of those older MCI's out of Staten Island that either broke down, were saunas, had shocks that were shot, or had to be taken out of service...  <_<

Well, that's SI's problem, not the buses itself. Look at the rest of the fleet on the island, and their counterparts off the island...

Had me 2080 on the BxM9 yesterday though, and it was freezing.

I think they used Primarly Orion V's for the X32, and a viking on occasion (I don't know if CS had MCI's).

They never ran the Viking on the x32. They ran primarily Orion Vs and an MCI or two.

The X32 was an express route that ran between eastern Queens and Bronx Science High School. It was eliminated in the 2010 service cuts. It had 3 round trips each day. One trip started from 165 St Bus Terminal in Jamaica, one started from Springfield Blvd and Union Turnpike Oakland Gardens, and another from 23 Av and Bell Blvd in Bay Terrace. A lot of kids commute from eastern Queens to the specialized high schools and the X32 served those kids going to Bronx Science. The X32 was a fast alternative to the otherwise long commute from eastern Queens to Bronx Science HS: a local bus out from eastern Queens to the (7) in Flushing or the (E) or (F) in Jamaica, then taking those trains to Midtown and transferring to the (4) or (D) to Bedford Park Blvd in the Bronx. If you lived near the X32 but far from the subway, the X32 would get you to Bronx Science High School in a little over an hour, compared to going through Manhattan which would take over 90 minutes. 

Just some trivia: In 2008 or so, a counterpart to the Q44 route, the Q94, was proposed. This Q94 would run between Flushing and Fordham Plaza in the Bronx, but some weekday trips would be extended to serve Bronx Science High School, just like what the Bx22 route does today. The Q94 would replace the X32 in providing service between Queens and Bronx Science High School, but the route was never created.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf <-- Most recent X32 schedule from 2010

https://web.archive.org/web/20100214171039/http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf <-- An old Queens map showing X32 service

https://web.archive.org/web/20100215213053/http://mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns2.pdf <-- An old Queens map service guide listing the X32

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/nyregion/12bus.html?em&ex=1202965200&en=06f44f04dcaa04af&ei=5087%0A <-- New York Times article from 2008 about the X32 bus

Edited by Mysterious2train

The X32 was an express route that ran between eastern Queens and Bronx Science High School. It was eliminated in the 2010 service cuts. It had 3 round trips each day. One trip started from 165 St Bus Terminal in Jamaica, one started from Springfield Blvd and Union Turnpike Oakland Gardens, and another from 23 Av and Bell Blvd in Bay Terrace. A lot of kids commute from eastern Queens to the specialized high schools and the X32 served those kids going to Bronx Science. The X32 was a fast alternative to the otherwise long commute from eastern Queens to Bronx Science HS: a local bus out from eastern Queens to the (7) in Flushing or the (E) or (F) in Jamaica, then taking those trains to Midtown and transferring to the (4) or (D) to Bedford Park Blvd in the Bronx. If you lived near the X32 but far from the subway, the X32 would get you to Bronx Science High School in a little over an hour, compared to going through Manhattan which would take over 90 minutes. 

Just some trivia: In 2008 or so, a counterpart to the Q44 route, the Q94, was proposed. This Q94 would run between Flushing and Fordham Plaza in the Bronx, but some weekday trips would be extended to serve Bronx Science High School, just like what the Bx22 route does today. The Q94 would replace the X32 in providing service between Queens and Bronx Science High School, but the route was never created.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/xpress/x032cur.pdf <-- Most recent X32 schedule from 2010

https://web.archive.org/web/20100214171039/http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf <-- An old Queens map showing X32 service

https://web.archive.org/web/20100215213053/http://mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns2.pdf <-- An old Queens map service guide listing the X32

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/nyregion/12bus.html?em&ex=1202965200&en=06f44f04dcaa04af&ei=5087%0A <-- New York Times article from 2008 about the X32 bus

Those kids get yellow buses from what I've heard and (correct me if I'm wrong) probably did even before the X32 was cut, so it was barely used. I saw a video of a ride on that bus with an ex-NYBS/Green Lines suburban Orion V and literally no one was on it.

I think all the X32s were ran from Casey Stengel and only used those O5s.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Those kids get yellow buses from what I've heard and (correct me if I'm wrong) probably did even before the X32 was cut, so it was barely used. I saw a video of a ride on that bus with an ex-NYBS/Green Lines suburban Orion V and literally no one was on it.

I think all the X32s were ran from Casey Stengel and only used those O5s.

You are wrong because the service was used by those kids.... The whole point of them going to that school was having the express bus service, otherwise making a 2 hour + commute each way would be old very quickly.

You are wrong because the service was used by those kids.... The whole point of them going to that school was having the express bus service, otherwise making a 2 hour + commute each way would be old very quickly.

I used that X32 before...only had 4 people (including the driver) on it

(Don't know where to put this, so I'll leave it here)

Today I took the Q114, at around 12 PM, to see how it felt like. I looked on the opposite side of the street to see the Local/Limiteds. My bus had like 14-15 passengers at most at any given time along GRB. at around Linden I see a Q111, which was about 2/3 full (still had about 1/3 of empty). Then comes the 114 a bit further south , jam packed from the front to the back. After a while,a t around Foch, a 111 comes after it, with about less than the previous 111 load of seats taken. Then comes another one a few minutes later (after Rochdale Village), with about 10 riders, followed by a 113 , with the same amount. The Rochdale stops looked pretty empty as well, but sometimes people come at last minute. 

I know they increased Q111 local service to accomodate the loss of Q113 Local service, but how much local service is being provided here? It seems as if people are really taking advantage of the limited over the local (which is a good thing), but how many people have left the local?Because I know a 20 minute interval LIMITED would not be used as much as if it ran every 10 minutes. I dont know, but I think the MTA added too much service to the 111 to compensate for the 113. The 113 local ran every 20 minutes, so it's like 3 bph that was lost into the limited (maybe replacing it with 1.5 bph), correct me if I'm wrong.

Looking at the schedule, bus run every 5-10 minutes (irregular headways)

That's about 3.5 bph more added, on top of existing 114 service. Now, the service provided at the Limited would be enough for people to take it more often, over the local. I don't think adding 3.5 bph to compensate the local will make the local loads suitable (in fact, I think it overserves the local). I know it's day one and all, but I am kinda concerned about that. I think the 114 as it is is great, however, the way they added Q111 service, I think was excessive.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Speaking of school does anyone kniw if I could get a school metrocard for express bus?

Not Possible.

Student MetroCards cannot be used on express buses

(Don't know where to put this, so I'll leave it here)

Today I took the Q114, at around 12 PM, to see how it felt like. I looked on the opposite side of the street to see the Local/Limiteds. My bus had like 14-15 passengers at most at any given time along GRB. at around Linden I see a Q111, which was about 2/3 full (still had about 1/3 of empty). Then comes the 114 a bit further south , jam packed from the front to the back. After a while,a t around Foch, a 111 comes after it, with about less than the previous 111 load of seats taken. Then comes another one a few minutes later (after Rochdale Village), with about 10 riders, followed by a 113 , with the same amount. The Rochdale stops looked pretty empty as well, but sometimes people come at last minute. 

I know they increased Q111 local service to accomodate the loss of Q113 Local service, but how much local service is being provided here? It seems as if people are really taking advantage of the limited over the local (which is a good thing), but how many people have left the local?Because I know a 20 minute interval LIMITED would not be used as much as if it ran every 10 minutes. I dont know, but I think the MTA added too much service to the 111 to compensate for the 113. The 113 ran every 20 minutes, so it's like 3 bph that was lost into the limited (maybe replacing it with 1.5 bph). 

Looking at the schedule, bus run every 5-10 minutes (irregular headways)

That's about 3.5 bph more added, on top of existing 114 service. Now, the service provided at the Limited would be enough for people to take it more often, over the local. I don't think adding 3.5 bph will solve such problem ( in fact, I think it overserves the local). I know it's day one and all, but I am kinda concerned about that. I think the 114 as it is is great, however, the way they added Q111 service, I think was excessive.

I haven't looked at the updated schedules, but I know that the Q111 is used quite heavily, before it even hits Brewer, towards Jamaica....

TBH, I personally have no desire to ride the 114, but thanks for the trip report....

I used that X32 before...only had 4 people (including the driver) on it

Yeah but that's only one X32 from one area of Queens.  They had three different branches with a bus on each branch.  Riding a bus once and concluding that no one is using it is absurd.

Did you read my post? They get cheese buses...

Are you talking about on the X32?  That's what I was talking about.