Why are there no bus routes on Park Avenue?

lilbluefoxie

How come Park Avenue never got a bus route, nearly every other major north-south street in manhattan has one.

I don't know, but it makes a very convenient detour route for the parade-plagued Madison and 5 Avenues.

Park Avenue residents don't want a bus running down the quiet street; they either take car service, cab, or walk to lex for the subway. Plus Lex to Park and Park to Madison are both really just half blocks, and crosstown buses don't even stop at Park.

Park Avenue residents don't want a bus running down the quiet street; they either take car service, cab, or walk to lex for the subway. Plus Lex to Park and Park to Madison are both really just half blocks, and crosstown buses don't even stop at Park.

I wonder if it's weight limits, however. The Metro-North tunnel is directly under the street.

The M98 runs on Park Avenue for a portion of its route, IDK if that counts.

I always assumed the north - south routes on Lex/3rd Av/5th/Madison did the trick, the B8 and the B35 have a greater gap in Flatbush and a good portion of East Flatbush.

The M1 used to take Park Avenue from 40th or so all the way down to 8th Street...

Park Avenue South (south of Grand Central) is completely different from Park Avenue. Not as residential as Upper Park Avenue.

As for the lack of revenue bus service, they probably don't want any.

If it matters, southbound Third Avenue buses terminating at 96th Street deadhead on Park Avenue.

There are routes that runs on Park Avenue (Portion), M98 in East Harlem, M1 / M2 / M3 on Park Avenue (South of GCT).

No need for buses on Park Avenue entirely. For that use 5th / Madison, Lex / 3rd Avenue or 2nd / 1st Avenue routes.

Quiet? Yeah your pretty much talking about south of 97th Street, where MNCRR trains are in the tunnel (heh i can even hear trains under the tube from the street). North of 97th Street, it is loud.

Park Avenue South (south of Grand Central) is completely different from Park Avenue. Not as residential as Upper Park Avenue.

As for the lack of revenue bus service, they probably don't want any.

If it matters, southbound Third Avenue buses terminating at 96th Street deadhead on Park Avenue.

That i dont count for buses deadheading to 100th Street depot.

Uptown M1, M2, M3 use Park Av from Union Sq to 25th St.

Downtown M98 use Park Av from Harlem River Dr's Park Av/132nd St exit ramp to 120th St.

Staten Island X1, X7, X9 uses Park Av from 23rd St to Union Sq while X10/X17C from 32nd St.

New York Waterway's AM Peak Bus use Park Av from 23rd St to Union Sq as well.

I find it hard to believe that Metro North (or whomever the predecessor was) couldn't build a tunnel stronger than the IRT......

Before MNR came it was Conrail, Penn-Central, NY Central, NH, etc (Wiki can help)

And what do you mean by:

Metro North couldn't build a tunnel stronger than the IRT......

Before MNR came it was Conrail, Penn-Central, NY Central, NH, etc (Wiki can help)

And what do you mean by:

I meant that Lexington Avenue has buses running up and down the avenue and those buses are longer and in some cases heavier than those that would run on Park Avenue, so its hard for me to believe that an Orion 7 would present a weight issue for one tunnel while a MCI J-series or a New Flyer D60HF not present an issue for the other tunnel which is roughly the same depth below street level.

And thank you for telling me that information about Conrail, Penn Central, ect....I probably won't remember it in fifteen minutes.....

some crosstown buses do.

Crosstown buses that make stops at Park Av or Park Av S:

M16, M23, M31, M34, M42, M57, M60, M66, M79, M86, M98*, M100, M102 via 116 St, M116, Q32 via E 59 St going to Queens.

Crosstown buses that Do Not make stops at Park Av or Park Av S:

M50, M72, M96 (I think), M106, Q32 via E 60 St going to Penn Station.

Crosstown buses that doesnt interset with Park Av or Park Av S:

M8, M14A, M14D, M21, M22

*M98 runs a small portion of its route via Park Av during rush hours only.

some crosstown buses do.

M16, M23, M31, M34, M42, M57, M60, M66, M79, M86, M98*, M100, M102 via 116 St, M116, Q32 via E 59 St going to Queens.

M8, M14A, M14D, M21, M22

What? The M31, M57, M66, M79, M86 don't stop at Park.

******** there don't want buses there!!!!!!

I always see Charter Buses always using Park Av.

One time, I spotted Charter Bus making illegal U-turn.

When BxM4C Bee-Line used to run on Weekend, Guide-A-Ride said, "Bus rerouted to Park Av (3rd Av-42nd-47th Sts) when there is parade or street fair)

One time, I spotted Charter Bus making illegal U-turn.

Just pointing this out, I'm pretty sure that U-turns are legal on Park Avenue as long as after you make the first left you wait until the light on the cross street becomes green to complete it.

some crosstown buses do.

M8, M14A, M14D, M21, M22

M31, M57, M50, M66, M86, M79, M96, M106 does not stop on Park Av.

Currently WB M79 Lex Av bus stop relocate to Park Av due to construction.

Since there's no stop for M98 at 120th St/Park Av, some B/O sometimes use 116th St.

M98 SB only stop at Park Av/125th St.

Bx15, M60, M100, M101 stop at Park Av/125th St.

M14A/D stop at 14th St-4th Av (which is consider Park Av)

M16/M34 stops on Park Av.

SI-bound X10/X17C stops on Park Av.

I think the portion of Park Ave. in question here is between 42nd and 97th streets since that's the part that's significantly nicer-looking than its surroundings. Park Ave. S is much more commercial, just like any other avenue, and Park Ave. north of 97th street is frankly a very different Park Ave. Most likely the answer is that the residents there don't need a bus route since it's a much shorter block to Lexington/Madison Ave. than it is between other avenues. I doubt they would want one either because those are some of the richest neighborhoods in the city.

I find it hard to believe that Metro North (or whomever the predecessor was) couldn't build a tunnel stronger than the IRT......

I meant that Lexington Avenue has buses running up and down the avenue and those buses are longer and in some cases heavier than those that would run on Park Avenue, so its hard for me to believe that an Orion 7 would present a weight issue for one tunnel while a MCI J-series or a New Flyer D60HF not present an issue for the other tunnel which is roughly the same depth below street level.

And thank you for telling me that information about Conrail, Penn Central, ect....I probably won't remember it in fifteen minutes.....

It was never proven that added weight from buses and other vehicles is the reason for no bus travel along Park Avenue. That's just a ridiculous thought.

Archived